Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Continual Change In Doctor Who Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It seems like since Hugh Laurie eliminated his accent while playing HOUSE, there has been a noticeable improvement in the quality of American accents by British actors. The late John Mahoney of FRASIER lost his accent so thoroughly, he later discovered he couldn't even do a good imitation of a Manchester accent, when Jane Leeves asked him for pointers!
One actress I've noticed whose accent is all over the place is Katie McGrath, who plays Lena Luthor on SUPERGIRL, and who can't seem to decide if Lena should sound American, or Irish(kike herself), and seems to end up with British as a 'compromise!'

Some of the worst American accents I recall hearing on British shows were in certain adaptations of Agatha Christie stories, where one or two 'Yank' characters showed up. The actors seemed to be trying to make the characters sound 'Texan', regardless of where they were suposed to have come from!(This was in the '80s, so perhaps there was some influence due to the popularity of 'Dallas!')
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was surprised that actor/director Dexter Fletcher was a
Brit after seeing him in the tv series Press Gang, not
sure how convincing hus accent was to the Anerican ear.
Regarding the 'Texan' point, I remember seeing a VHI
drama/documentary about Sheffield band Def Leppard, the
American actors all sounded like London residents,
regional accents are noticeable to the indigenous
population!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The BBC were actually using Doctor Who to test the waters for their own twice weekly soap opera intended to take on Coronation Street. There's no way they would cast Peter Davison, who was a big star on British TV at the time, to be the lead in something they 'intended' to fail.

IIRC it was only the McCoy stories that went out at the same time as Coronation Street at a time when the Beeb had pretty much given up on Doctor Who.

I'm not sure the Davison move was a test for Eastenders. Z Cars had been made as a twice-weekly show for much of the 70s and the same was done with Angels from '79 - '83. In 1981 they also launched Triangle, another twice-weekly soap.

It has been speculated that one reason for the cancellation/hiatus during Colin Baker's run was because they needed the money to  launch Eastenders.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Going by the UK magazines of the time I had, I got that impression too that it was McCoy put up against Corrie. I have the 4 disc set of '70s Z-Cars BBC authorized, and it's all from the time when it went from twice weekly two-part stories to single parters. I'm not sure how long they ran it like that but before they did it with Davison's Who it had failed as a format with Z-Cars. Outside it's Saturday evening family slot Doctor Who dwindled away... you'd have thought they'd have put it back to Saturdays if they'd actually wanted it to succeed. Yes, the old "if it ain't broke" rule again.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It WAS McCoy era, also the BBC never schedule Eastenders
against Coronation Street, even today with plenty of
ways to record/catch up.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic