Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Solo - SPOILERS begin Pg. 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, it's unfortunate to me that this was the movie that the opening weekend
fan boycott hit.
++++++++++
is this really a thing? I hadn't heard about it. I looked online a little but didn't
see anything, any links you can share are appreciated. I haven't heard about
this
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I don't know how organized it was, but I saw it mentioned on multiple collector's sites.  Reddit seems to be the origin.  If people didn't hate TLJ, I think it would have at least matched Rogue One, but the backlash is real. 

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't know how organized it was, but I saw it mentioned on multiple collector's sites.  Reddit seems to be the origin.  If people didn't hate TLJ, I think it would have at least matched Rogue One, but the backlash is real.  

——-

I totally disagree. No doubt there were people who disliked TLJ expressing their displeasure, but I saw a generic lack of enthusiasm for going to see SOLO coming from people who were just fine with TLJ. The collector’s sites and Reddit tend to be a toxic echo chamber, and I wouldn’t look for any trends there.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I had very little enthusiasm for SOLO, but I ended up really enjoying it. I could have done without the constant setups to future events and scenes explaining things that never should be explained, but unfortunately that ship had sailed long before this film. 

I thought it had the combination of intriguing, charming characters, great action and unique settings that every other film since ROTJ has lacked, and for all its unnecessary, stale references, for me it was still a breath of STAR WARS fresh air.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Michael Roberts wrote:
...I saw a generic lack of enthusiasm for going to see SOLO coming from people who were just fine with TLJ. ...

Count me as one of those people. I enjoyed TLJ. I understand some of the criticism, but I didn't have any real issues with it.  That said, I am not a fan of prequels  (not just THE Prequels,  but pretty much any prequel), and the trailers for SOLO did nothing for me.

I'll likely see it on video or online eventually,  but unlikely that I will see it in the theater.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Speaking of toxic “fans”:

http://www.businessinsider.com/star-wars-actress-kelly-marie -tran-deletes-instagram-posts-after-harassment-2018-6

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yup, there are people who refuse to believe in the TLJ backlash.  If Rogue One had been the movie on the docket instead of Solo, it would have had a similar flop and people would be making the same excuses and avoiding the real issue.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:17pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If Rogue One had been the movie on the docket instead of Solo, it would have had a similar flop and people would be making the same excuses and avoiding the real issue.

-----

If you believe that, then you weren't paying attention to the response to the SOLO trailers and the response to the ROGUE ONE trailers. Those responses were irrelative to one's feelings about TLJ.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2018 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Everything about the marketing for SOLO was a mess.

Too little, too late, unfocused, didn’t show what the film was about (tonally or from a risk point of view), things we liked were changed - the Falcon for example, & it just didn’t work.

Which is a shame, because I really like the movie & think it is way better than TLJ. I do think it also suffered due to that film - I know no one who liked it but everyone of my friends that saw SOLO has liked that.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 3:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Which is a shame, because I really like the movie & think it is way better than TLJ. I do think it also suffered due to that film

How I feel in a nutshell.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Overall, "mostly harmless" and frequently enjoyable, but the explanations and Easter eggs got to be a bit overdone. Didn't care for the surprise cameo, especially since the movie "flopped"* so chances of getting a proper follow-up are fading.

*If a worldwide gross of $340M is a flop, your movie is too damn expensive.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2018 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Due to the disappointing box office performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story, future STAR WARS spinoffs have been put on hold... Episode IX, Rian Johnson’s planned trilogy and the Game of Thrones creators’ series of movies are still in the works, but the long-awaited Obi-Wan Kenobi standalone movie and the planned Boba Fett film are reportedly on ice…for now.

-C!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Dave - have you seen the cartoons? Rebels pretty much gives you all you need to know re follow up on that character.

Not surprised about the news yesterday

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Game of Thrones creators’ series of movies

---

What are they working on?

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

They haven't said what their film series will be about but it's still a while off yet as they are going to finish GOT before starting work on it.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

On the the last page I made a post about Lando's
relationship with his droid. Mostly it was mocked, that's
ok. But consider this...

Many of us got into Star Wars as kids. It's always been
thought of as a pretty family friendly affair. Not a lot
of blood, not a lot of swearing and the closest to a sex
scene in Star Wars was a kiss between Han and Leia, on
the Falcon.

Now, my 9 yr old son is mature enough to handle a lot of
what PG-13 films offer. Normally, I will do a lot of due
diligence before seeing a film, making sure it's ok for
him. But, again, this is Star Wars. Imagine my anger,
having to have a conversation with my son after the movie
because he asked this question, "Dad, did this movie just
say that Lando is doing it wirmth his droid?"

Edited by Stephen Churay on 24 June 2018 at 10:36am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2018 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Imagine my anger, having to have a conversation with my son after the movie because he asked this question, "Dad, did this movie just 
say that Lando is doing it wirmth his droid?"

-----

I think that might speak more to the sophistication of your son, because any innuendo that Lando had sex with his droid would have flown over my head at 9.

We live in a post-FRIENDS world.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2018 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I finally got to watch this mess of a film thanks to a very cheap ticket and not much else to see.
In my humble opinion it is watchable, but it looks more like some fan fiction acknowledged by producers willing to spend money on it rather than a well-constructed story.It is a movie where every moment serves as a reference to another star wars product (movie, novel, video game, toy, extended universe.. you name it), or showing moments we have been already told about (therefore no real need to SEE those moments), so on this aspect I got bored very early on, as I am not reading SW novels nor playing video games.

As I am getting older and older, I am much more interested with Lovecraft mythos and such, and on this aspect there is only one scene in Solo which was really entertaining to me (by the way, was it a Cthulhu reference ?)

On top of that, about a third of the movie is SO dark I had a hard time figuring what was giong on. I don't know how this movie will look on a tv screen.

Edited by Fabrice Renault on 04 July 2018 at 10:51am

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 July 2018 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I thought of Lovecraft too during this scene!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Stephen, re the droid/Lando stuff - I too think it depends on the sophistication/experience of the child. Pretty sure it would fly over the head of my eight year old.

But let's compare this to Transformers and the use of the F word in those films and the jokes about whether the boyfriend is committing statutory rape or not eh? There are degrees and there are subtleties that I think Solo manages while Transformers just doesn't even try, which is why I won't watch those films anymore.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Watching the whole Lando / L3-37 thing just ended up reminding me of a comic panel from Barbarella (3rd illustration down in the link), and I couldn't take it seriously after that:

Barbarella and Diktor Link

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

There's something poetic in the way the kid from AMERICAN GRAFFITI who drag-raced against Harrison Ford (who later played Han Solo) grew up to direct a Han Solo movie with a lot of racing.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Any thoughts on the statements, repeated ad nauseam online, that "Solo: A Star Wars Story" will lose Disney "tens of millions of dollars"? At the moment of writing, and according to Wikipedia (...I know, I know...), the movie made $391.3m globally against the $275m budget, and it is still in the theaters - both in the US and internationally. 

While it is clear that the film's theater run is close to its end, box office is just the largest component here to consider. The movie will continue to make money long after it leaves the theaters - via home media releases (Blu-ray/DVD and digital sales), as well as via iTunes rentals, Netflix rights, later on TV rights, but also a wide range of related merchandise products (Solo-related Star Wars toys, figures, books, comics, video games, costumes, etc.). At the moment on Star Wars site there are 120 different Solo movie related products, and expanded novelization, comic book adaptation, additional higher end figures (Black Series, etc.) are yet to come this fall (September-November). 

When we take all of these additional sources of revenue combined with the global box office, it is only a matter of time when - and not if - Solo will break even. 

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Woodstock, the 60’s music festival, didn’t break even until sometime in the 1980’s, if I recall...SOLO will eventually make what Hollywood considers a “profit”...

Look at STAR TREK-THE MOTION PICTURE... despite the negative reviews, by both fans and film critics alike, it made enough money to green light STAR TREK II...Hollywood has a very pliable definition of profit...like Play-Dough...😜

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Yes, Woodstock is an interesting case - the festival ended with a huge debt in 1969, and it took 11 years to finally break even in 1980 on residuals (but break even they did).

I would love to see full financials for Solo, the big picture, the one that includes everything, even those McDonalds Happy Meal figures. These movies are a great example of The Long Tail. There is no way Solo will not crawl back up into black, but it would be great to know just how long that takes. 

The real casualty of the Solo box office performance are the sequels (Solo 2 and 3), and after them a Lando solo movie, all of which had been envisioned and planned to some degree. It is a shame, really, that they won't be made now - Solo is a fun ride, I enjoyed the movie despite watching it in an almost empty cinema early on (?), and I have no doubt that I would've enjoyed Solo 2 and 3, as well as Lando film, later on. I liked Rogue One and Solo far more than Episodes VII and VIII, and I wish Disney simply made anthology movies from the outset, while leaving the Skywalker saga alone as Lucas' turf. 

Edited by Aleksandar Petrovic on 08 August 2018 at 11:16am

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version