Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Solo - SPOILERS begin Pg. 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm still not gonna see this in the theatre (can't say the same when it hits the home market via cable), but it's this kind of review that I can't really understand.  My hometown paper, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, gave SOLO 3.5 out of 4 stars and had this to say:

QUOTE:
It’s clever, light entertainment that shoots ahead as if it was launched from an intergalactic slingshot.

Most of the time, anyway. The famously troubled production fired its original directing/cowriting duo (Phil Lord and Christopher Miller of the excellent Lego and “Jump Street” fantasy comedies) for coloring outside the lines, delivering the studio a change from “Star Wars” movies that was too much of a change. That’s a shame, because I imagine their version would have been a self-mocking blast.

Can I say how tired I am of fans and critics wanting what they love to mock what came before?  Why?  That's a tightrope that's really hard to walk. More failures than successes to be sure.  LAND OF THE LOST anyone?  I will, however, invoke the 90s film version of THE BRADY BUNCH (work with me here).  That film played with the conventions of a traditional sitcom as well as the well-established tropes of that blended family to create something hard to come by: a film where we can both laugh at, with and cheer for the main characters.  In the end?  Their style and way of life (that of an out-of-date 60s family living in modern America) proved true and honest.  I wasn't much of a fan of the first JUMP STREET (heard the second was better) but those characters share nothing in common with their television counterparts except in premise and then it's just to mock the premise in a send-up of teen comedies and cop shows. 

I dunno.  I think you can play SOLO straight (which it appears is what Ron Howard did) and have a fun film without the need to mock the material. 

Link to the review mentioned above here.    
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2018 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

You can play Solo straight, but not Lando apparently!
;-)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2018 at 1:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I hate self mocking purely because it says you are an idiot for liking what came before. 

Just cause you didn’t get it doesn’t mean you have to be mean to those that did. & it’s not like any of these self mocking ideas have been a blast now is it

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2018 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Is Lando pansexual?  Who knows, and I don't care.  If they play it in a smart, witty way, I'm sure I'll be the first the chuckle about it, in the new SOLO movie.

However, I never once got the feeling, in EMPIRE or JEDI, that Lando was the type of character who would screw anything that moved.  Not sure where this idea came from in the first place.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 May 2018 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Can I say how tired I am of fans and critics wanting what they love to mock what came before? Why?

•••

Because they are so, like, mature and ennui engorged they cannot enjoy things for what they were/are.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Saw it last night. I thought it was a lot of fun, if inconsequential. I think the comparisons to the old Marvel Star Wars comics are apt. It doesn't really add anything to the STAR WARS franchise, but it doesn't take away or reinvent anything either.

The movie suffers a bit from originitis. Han's first meeting with Chewie, Han's first meeting with Lando, the Kessel Run, his acquisition of the Millennium Falcon, and even the acquisition of his signature blaster all pretty much happen within the same adventure. Also, Han comes across as having a lot of unearned confidence. Han's by-the-seat-of-his-pants swagger works with the seasoned smuggler we see in the original trilogy, but here he just seems to be bluffing his way through things a lot, and everyone goes along with it just because.

But once you get past those things, it's a fun heist movie.

I was pleased to see some casting that connected to both animated series as well.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Just got back from it.

Rather clumsy and a bit *forced* to about the halfway point, but definitely fun.    I certainly would be up for another adventure with this crew.

Now, if only that one background piece of the big bad's collection didn't bear the striking resemblance to a certain cartoon chihuahua...

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I agree with Bill. It really is a tough set up to get to the meatier parts of the plot. The cast was quite good though so that helps.Donald Glover as Lando and Woody Harrelson as Beckett were the stand outs as far as I was concerned.

Alden Ehrenreich was decent as Solo. I was willing to accept this was the younger version of our favorite scoundrel and just go with it. It helped once the Han/Chewie dynamic really clicked. Emilia Clarke was decent although I'm always going to have trouble separating her from her GoT role. It doesn't help her character is mostly played as very controlled and unwilling to reveal details. The romance aspect was there but I'm not sure I ever bought them as a couple. Which is a problem. It's not enough to really affect the story.

I would be interested in them continuing on with a second movie. Might be a bit pointless but that didn't stop this film from being made. I doubt Ron Howard would be involved. If they have a bit more story to tell, and it seems like they do, there's some potential. They certainly left a few elements left to work with if a sequel becomes a possibility. It would be a case of diminishing returns as we get closer and closer to the original Star Wars but it's hard to say for sure.

Worth checking out if you're wanting a fun space adventure. If you're a Star Wars purist (whatever that is) this might not work for you. Go in with an open mind and you should have some fun.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I enjoyed it. A darn sight better than what came out last Christmas.

Some good characters who had hints to their backgrounds but not everything spelled out, some nods to old EU, & some bid surprises.

Yes there are a lot of ‘let’s answer this question’ type scenes but not so many that I didn’t enjoy the film. It is inconsequential (to a point) which makes it just a fun romp. It doesn’t have to service that big galactic opera that the saga films do. This is more like one of the side novels of old - & I say that as a good thing

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Since the movie is open, I;m posting this spoiler warning so we can talk about the movie in detail.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

You have been warned!

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I have said it elsewhere but I'll also say it
here. This is like an episode of Law and
Order. Completely competent. Not bad but not
that good either. Donald Glover is the
highlight. The kid who isn't Harrison Ford
suffers from not being Harrison Ford. Worth
watching while you do chores around the
house. Or if you never watch it you won't
have missed a thing.

I absolutely hated LAST JEDI. But at least I
was engaged enough to feel strongly about it.
With SOLO I'm completely indifferent.

I also don't get what people are talking
about when they say Lando is Pansexual. I
guess he loved his droid?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I also don't get what people are talking  about when they say Lando is Pansexual. I  guess he loved his droid?

——

In addition, he was flirty with both Han and Qi’ra. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

There does appear to have been a relationship with the droid

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The way it came across to me was jokes.  L-3 is trying to relate to Kira and her situation with Han and says that Lando obviously has feelings for her but it would never work out.  It was a joke.

As far as Lando showing emotion later about L-3, I took that as if Han had lost Chewie.  

It surprises me that it surprises me that people are saying that Lando was actually intimate with a robot and want to turn him into something else.  When was he flirting with Han?  I missed that part.

Is it just a reflection of the viewer?  Do I see these things this way just because I'm straight but someone who's gay or "pan" sees things because of their own interests?

Edited by Andy Mokler on 26 May 2018 at 9:26am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

The writing was very coy with it, where you could read L3 as being snarky or you could take her seriously. Later on in the conversation, Qi’ra is wondering aloud how that kind of relationship would work, and L3 assures her that it can. As for flirting with Han, I don’t remember what Lando was saying, but L3 cuts him off and tells Lando to stop flirting.

I’d say it’s a reflection of the viewer, but both Jonathan Kasdan who co-wrote the script and Donald Glover who played Lando have brought up Lando’s pansexuality, so it’s not the case of seeing something that’s not there. It’s there if you can see it, but it’s not explicit, so it’s easily missed. 

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/17/17365604/lando-calrissian- sexuality-solo-star-wars-jonathan-kasdan

Disney and Lucasfilm haven't commented on it so far but Kasdan Jr. says that it is not canonical at this point.  I didn't realize that it was Kasdan's son who wrote Solo.  Is senior still around?  Billy Dee sure seemed like he was hitting on Leia and not at all on Han or Chewie or C-3PO so this still seems like an after the fact inclusion to me.

That there are movements trying to get Finn and Poe together and Cap and Bucky and any number of other characters that haven't ever been gay...Batman and Robin, it makes it difficult to figure out which are real and which are just fan fiction.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

A fun western/heist movie with a Star War wrapper. I enjoyed it but
wasn’t blown away, like I was with Last Jedi.

Great cast all around; Alden Ehrenreich: his Han really grows into a
“finished” Han by the end of the movie. Woody Harrelson’s Beckett was
a pleasant surprise too.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Disney and Lucasfilm haven't commented on it so far but Kasdan Jr. says that it is not canonical at this point.  I didn't realize that it was Kasdan's son who wrote Solo.  Is senior still around?

——-

Lawrence and Jonathan co-wrote SOLO. I’d read that article again. Jonathan Kasdan didn’t state anything about the canonicity in that article. He said that Lando is pansexual; Disney/Lucasfilm haven’t commmented, and they’d be the ones to state canonicity.

Jason Ditzel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

My teenagers are grumbling every time I suggest we go see the new Star Wars movie. They've enjoyed all of the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons growing up, but hated the three most recent movies, and don't want to sit through another Star Wars film. Their friends feel the same way. If this attitude is common, Disney's Solo ROI is going to miss targets. Compare this with my crew demanding to see avengers opening weekend, and even enjoying a 2nd viewing a week later. Would be funny if Disney had to pay Lucas a billion more to right the ship.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

My teenagers are grumbling every time I suggest we go see the new Star Wars movie. They've enjoyed all of the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons growing up, but hated the three most recent movies, and don't want to sit through another Star Wars film. Their friends feel the same way.

-----

If they enjoyed Clone Wars and Rebels, they'll probably like SOLO.

Adam Hutchinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

My seven year old is dying to see Solo and not only has loved all of the
post-Disney movies but declared “Last Jedi” her favorite Star Wars
movie. Disney is NOT worried about any ROI With its Lucasfilm
purchase.

Edited by Adam Hutchinson on 27 May 2018 at 8:45am

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I wonder if Miller & Lord were all wrong for a live-action Han Solo film from the start... I can almost see them tackling an animated STAR WARS all-out comedy, instead.  Maybe something like the misadventures of HAMMERHEAD & SNAGGLETOOTH...

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2018 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Just saw it with my 7-year old son... it was... just okay.

Maybe a bit more engaging than the Prequels; marginally better than ROGUE ONE; in some ways, probably a better story for anyone who still despises THE LAST JEDI; doesn't seem to have been as big a crowd-pleaser as THE FORCE AWAKENS.

For me, I tried to go in with as open a mind as possible, but for what should have been a brisk, humorous and swashbuckling Han Solo adventure, I found SOLO to be surprisingly top-heavy with convoluted plot points, exposition, technobabble and tiresome McGuffins.  The best bits were the scenes and interplay between Han, Chewie and Lando, but there were also too many new characters to keep track of, let alone care about.  Also, at 2 hrs. & 15 min., it seemed insufferably long--I checked my phone a couple times to see how much longer we had, and even my son (who normally loves all things STAR WARS) was leaned-over in his seat and admitted to getting a little sleepy.

Should have been breezy fun, but there were also some somber and dour bits throughout that seemed to undercut any attempts at humor.  And sadly, no one really applauded or clapped at the end of our screening... the response seemed to be a collective shrug.

Can't say for sure how this will play (or re-play) in the long run, although I can't say I'm too surprised, either, that SOLO is already being pegged as a financial underperformer.  Too bad, could have been a rip-roarin' time.

Letter grade:  B- , at best.

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 3:44am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I saw it yesterday. Nothing very surprising or even spectacular.
Nothing is really added to the characters.
I think Alden Ehrenreich did a good job as Han Solo but it was more difficult to see Lando Calrissian even if Donald Glover was good.
But I had good times watching it. It's a decent little movie and I enjoyed it (which I didn't with episodes VII et VIII)...

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2018 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Ended stronger than it began but that's not saying much. Too many Star Wars tropes. I wish there had been more empire entanglements, I understand why they kept the empire out of this story but I think it was to the overall movies detriment. I do enjoy dipping into the Star Wars universe, I actually didn't hate it. 

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version