Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Solo - SPOILERS begin Pg. 4 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2018 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Stephen, re the droid/Lando stuff - I too think it depends on the sophistication/experience of the child. Pretty sure it would fly over the head of my eight year old.

But let's compare this to Transformers and the use of the F word in those films and the jokes about whether the boyfriend is committing statutory rape or not eh? There are degrees and there are subtleties that I think Solo manages while Transformers just doesn't even try, which is why I won't watch those films anymore.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Watching the whole Lando / L3-37 thing just ended up reminding me of a comic panel from Barbarella (3rd illustration down in the link), and I couldn't take it seriously after that:

Barbarella and Diktor Link
Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2018 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There's something poetic in the way the kid from AMERICAN GRAFFITI who drag-raced against Harrison Ford (who later played Han Solo) grew up to direct a Han Solo movie with a lot of racing.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Any thoughts on the statements, repeated ad nauseam online, that "Solo: A Star Wars Story" will lose Disney "tens of millions of dollars"? At the moment of writing, and according to Wikipedia (...I know, I know...), the movie made $391.3m globally against the $275m budget, and it is still in the theaters - both in the US and internationally. 

While it is clear that the film's theater run is close to its end, box office is just the largest component here to consider. The movie will continue to make money long after it leaves the theaters - via home media releases (Blu-ray/DVD and digital sales), as well as via iTunes rentals, Netflix rights, later on TV rights, but also a wide range of related merchandise products (Solo-related Star Wars toys, figures, books, comics, video games, costumes, etc.). At the moment on Star Wars site there are 120 different Solo movie related products, and expanded novelization, comic book adaptation, additional higher end figures (Black Series, etc.) are yet to come this fall (September-November). 

When we take all of these additional sources of revenue combined with the global box office, it is only a matter of time when - and not if - Solo will break even. 

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Woodstock, the 60’s music festival, didn’t break even until sometime in the 1980’s, if I recall...SOLO will eventually make what Hollywood considers a “profit”...

Look at STAR TREK-THE MOTION PICTURE... despite the negative reviews, by both fans and film critics alike, it made enough money to green light STAR TREK II...Hollywood has a very pliable definition of profit...like Play-Dough...😜

Aleksandar Petrovic
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2018 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yes, Woodstock is an interesting case - the festival ended with a huge debt in 1969, and it took 11 years to finally break even in 1980 on residuals (but break even they did).

I would love to see full financials for Solo, the big picture, the one that includes everything, even those McDonalds Happy Meal figures. These movies are a great example of The Long Tail. There is no way Solo will not crawl back up into black, but it would be great to know just how long that takes. 

The real casualty of the Solo box office performance are the sequels (Solo 2 and 3), and after them a Lando solo movie, all of which had been envisioned and planned to some degree. It is a shame, really, that they won't be made now - Solo is a fun ride, I enjoyed the movie despite watching it in an almost empty cinema early on (?), and I have no doubt that I would've enjoyed Solo 2 and 3, as well as Lando film, later on. I liked Rogue One and Solo far more than Episodes VII and VIII, and I wish Disney simply made anthology movies from the outset, while leaving the Skywalker saga alone as Lucas' turf. 

Edited by Aleksandar Petrovic on 08 August 2018 at 11:16am

Bob Freeman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Finally saw this. We can no longer go to the theatre to see movies due to my son's health issues. Was eager to see what all the fuss was about and have to say, I loved every bit of Solo.

In fact, I'd say it ranks third for me, after SW and Empire.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I agree Bob - I thought it was an excellent story and had a great grasp of the characters.  I predict this will develop into a sleeper/long term favorite when people see it on TV.  

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2018 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Solo is a fun movie that actually felt like SW. The people who skipped it in the theater really missed out on a solid film.

Robert Kowalewski II
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2018 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It was a fun movie, I'll be picking up the Blu-Ray when it comes out...

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

At some point are we going to learn Lobot and Lando had a thing going on?

Down-Lobot?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2018 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I was glad I saw it on the big screen. Good action flick, even had a "car" chase.
If they had excluded some references it would have been that much better. I'll be watching it again soon.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version