Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: What’s next....again? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This thread had me thinking of earlier revivals.

Most people today see reruns of the Dragnet series that aired from 67-70, but it was a revival of the 51-59 series. Jack Webb was working on another version in 81 when he died. Two other revivals,  in 89 and 03 didn't do so well. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Anyone else watching S.W.A.T.? 

I'm barely old enough to remember the original show (ended a couple weeks before my 5th birthday), but the new version is very good.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

There were two attempts to revive BONANZA; in the late '80s as 'next generation' series, and then on the now-defunct PAX network in 2001-02, a prequel titled 'Ponderosa'.
Lorne Greene died in 1987, shortly before he was to begin filming the pilot episode for that first revival. The pilot instead featured Ben's brother, as well as the sons of Little Joe(played by Michael Landon, Jr.) and Hoss. 
That 'pilot' ultimately aired on CBS in 1988.
Subsequently, two more TV-movies aired on NBC.
About a decade later, PAX's series premiered on Sep. 9, 2001, and was lost in the shuffle of far more serious events that week. It lasted the season(20 episodes), and faded away.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 29 January 2018 at 1:28am
Back to Top profile | search

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Am I the only one to hope they'll revive Quantum Leap? 

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Am I the only one to hope they'll revive Quantum Leap?

Yes and no. I think Scott Bakula is a little old now to play Sam Beckett in an ongoing TV series. Sam had to be able to do lots of physical stuff that would, with the best will in the world, be a strain for a 63 year old.

Now if they did a one-off QL movie that finally brought Dr Beckett home, then I'd be all for that (especially if Deborah Pratt wrote the script rather than Donald P. Bellisario).

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I agree with you about the issue with Scott Bakula's (and Dean Stockwell's) age.

But I was sooooo frustrated when it ended...
I think I'm still.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Reboots are tricky.
WKRP IN CINCINNATI rebooted with some of the original cast and it lasted maybe a season (I think).
I also think KNIGHT RIDER tried a reboot without Hasselhoff that bombed quickly.
These shows depend on nostalgia, which is damned fickle. A quick TV movie is often a better vehicle for satisfying viewer demand and testing the waters for a reboot (not to mention having a way to hand off the show to a new generation).
But even there, bear in mind that many shows fail to get renewed year to year.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I also think KNIGHT RIDER tried a reboot without Hasselhoff that bombed quickly.

And tied into Star Trek. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The WKRP reboot sucked because it only had Mr. Carlson, Les and Herb as regulars from the original cast. Others were recurrring or just showed up once. I'd love to own the original show on DVD or Blu-Ray. The new series....not so much. Maybe the episodes with Johnny and Venus.....

Memorable only because it had French Stewart in it before he did 3rd Rock From The Sun. Tawny Kitaen (from the Whitesnake music videos, and Hercules The Legendary Journeys...and David Coverdale's ex) and Michael Des Barres (Murdoc from MacGyver) were also in it.

There are TONS of reasons the new Knight Rider stunk, and Hasselhoff's absence is only one of them. The show was basically an hour long Ford commercial, and Val Kilmer was not a good choice to voice KITT. The series Team Knight Rider was a lot better than the new version of Knight Rider, and that's really saying something.

I'm with Andrew regarding a one-off QL movie, but only because the ending to the series was horrible. He saves Al's marriage, but never returns home.

I remember the PAX version of Bonanza. Was a bad idea, but might have been a decent series if it was an original show and not a spinoff.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

TEAM KNIGHT RIDER is the one that tied into Star Trek. Disregard my earlier statement. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The only tie-in I remember was that one of the characters was nicknamed Trek.....

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The episode "Apocalypse Maybe" featured the Team going up against a scientist with an earthquake machine. For absolutely no reason whatsoever, the scientist is named Dr. Jackson Roykirk, the same name as the designer of the Nomad space probe from the TOS episode, "The Changeling." The mad doctor was played by William Christopher, Father Maculhay from MASH, obviously the perfect choice to play this fellow...

Then again, if the spin-offs and adjuncts to Trek have taught us anything with their casting of T'Pau, Zefram Cochrane, Kahless, and others, it's that the creators of TOS had no idea what their own characters looked like. 

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The Quantum Leap concept is good enough to warrant a reboot. But since we're now past the date of Sam's Leap, it doesn't hold up with modern technology. But the appeal (to me) of the leaping was visiting times in the recent history of America. Sci-Fi nostalgia!  

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2018 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Well, Project: Quantum Leap was a secret government project off in the desert somewhere, utilizing technology that Dr. Beckett himself created, so who knows? Maybe it is out there, and we just don't know about it. We did not see much of Sam's original time period, although I'll admit that Al's car in the pilot makes it problematic.

Unfortunately, the time for a QL revival may be  past, and a reboot wouldn't quite scratch that itch the fans have for a more upbeat ending to Sam's quest. Myself, I find it kind of comforting knowing that Sam is still out there, "striving to put right what once went wrong," even though his next leap can no longer be the leap home.

In that final episode, the bartender likens Sam's predicament to that of an itinerant priest, going where the will of the church directs him. He also gives him the ability to select a destination once (and only once) as a sort of respite before taking on more difficult journeys. Sam unselfishly uses that opportunity to save Al's marriage.*

One element of the show that remained fairly consistent was that Sam's interventions into the past were altering his timeline as well as that of the rest of the world. When he first leapt in the pilot, he was not married. He tells Al that Donna Alessi left him at the altar. When he meets her younger self, he makes it possible for her overcome her inability to trust others by reuniting her with her father before he goes to war. When he finally does return home, he is married to Donna Alessi, and always has been. (The role goes from Teri Hatcher to Mimi Kuzyk, which was one of the better casting choices I've ever seen, as both actors radiate fierce intelligence and beauty.) His actions in the second season opener also alter the make-up of the Senate committee looking into further funding the Project.

When he corrects Beth's belief that her serviceman husband is dead, we're told that Al now has four daughters rather than four ex-wives. This happy ending for the character alters his timeline and his relationship with Sam. Originally, he was the first to recognize Sam's genius and get him to work with the government. Later, when Al's life is in an alcoholic tailspin, Sam saves him by insisting that he, and no one else, head the Project. 

All of that is different in the new timeline Sam creates by telling Beth that Al is still alive. There very likely is no Project: Quantum Leap and therefore no "home" for him to return to. His leaping is now an effect absent any cause, which would tie in with the other, previous leapers we see him meet in that final episode. We even see how one of their tenures of service to "God, Fate, or Time" ends when he raises his glass to Sam and leaps, vanishing altogether. 

A follow-up film could resolve a great deal of this and establish a Project: Quantum Leap that somehow originated under different, but similar circumstances, and allow Sam a different home to come back to, but without that, I still find it quite moving that Sam is now leaping from life to life, with no Project Observer or Quantum Computer to assist him in his travels, and is doing so with no motive of his own for doing so except to help others.

I don't find it a sad ending. I find it a remarkably unselfish one, and it makes me love the characters of Sam and Al all the more.

* Although this may be unnecessary in the overall timeline of the program since the photographer who was killed in "The Leap Home" part 2 posthumously won the Pulitizer for her photograph of Al as a prisoner of war. Did Beth never see a copy of this photo at all? Did no one ever identify the soldier in that shot and contact her?

Edited by Brian Hague on 30 January 2018 at 12:43am

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 2:42am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Maybe someone could play with the idea that the government OK'd Project Quantum Leap after killing an earlier time-travel program: Project Tic-Toc from THE TIME TUNNEL...

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

He also gives him the ability to select a destination once (and only once) as a sort of respite before taking on more difficult journeys.

Was it actually stated that control of his Leap to save Al's marriage was a one-off thing? My own impression was that Sam was given complete control over his Leaps from that point forward, but because there would always be one more problem or injustice that needed putting right, he would never choose to return. Sam would always put others before himself because that's who he is, the ultimate good guy.

PS Sorry about the thread drift here but it's a fascinating discussion.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Maybe someone could play with the idea that the government OK'd Project Quantum Leap after killing an earlier time-travel program: Project Tic-Toc from THE TIME TUNNEL...

Poor old Doug and Tony. They really should have come home too. I guess they are still tumbling through time and getting into fist-fights with every historical celebrity they meet. POW! "Take that, Marie Curie!"

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2018 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I read something recently about a new version of THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO being in development.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2018 at 2:19am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Andrew Saxon wrote: "POW! 'Take that, Marie Curie!'"

Okay, that made me laugh. Out loud, even. Kudos.

The bartender, in likening Sam's plight to that of a priest, says that priests are allowed to take a sabbatical before embarking upon a especially difficult assignment, to which Sam moans in disbelief, "The leaps are going to get harder...?" Then the bartender asks Sam where he'd like to go, if he could pick anywhere at all. He's offering him that sabbatical as a respite before things start to get really tough; a chance to fix something for himself before he goes on with his task of making things better for others.

That Sam uses that chance to save Al's future may be what makes the leaps ahead so much more challenging, if in fact he eliminates Project Quantum Leap in doing so.

I don't see any way that being allowed to choose his destination once would enable him to do so forever afterwards, especially since that would hardly make the leaps ahead more difficult and we're explicitly told that they will be.

I like your interpretation of Sam's character, though.

Edited by Brian Hague on 01 February 2018 at 2:20am

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2018 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The big problem with Sam fixing Al's marriage is that he tried to do so in the episode where she first appeared. It wouldn't work because it wasn't a "mistake" that needed correction. It was "supposed" to happen. Having Sam fix the marriage undermines the whole leaping thing.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2018 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I don't see any way that being allowed to choose his destination once would enable him to do so forever afterwards, especially since that would hardly make the leaps ahead more difficult and we're explicitly told that they will be.

——

The Bartender explicitly tells Sam that he technically can go home anytime he wants, and he’ll only be leaping as long as he wants to. He likens Sam to a cop who will always take one last call even though the shift is over. He also tells Sam that he is in control of his destiny and just needs to accept that, which comes with the implication that Sam has always been in control of his leaps. 

There was a long rumored sequel that would have focused on Sammy Jo Fuller, the daughter Sam conceived in the trilogy of episodes they had. I think a series focusing on her or her kid would work as a true sequel, and they can use the DNA cheat to expand the timeline beyond the leaper’s lifetime. 

They could also explain that there was a change to the timeline to explain why 1999 didn’t look like Day-Glo Blade Runner. 

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2018 at 6:18pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

He's offering him that sabbatical as a respite before things start to get really tough...

I don't think the Leap to save Al's marriage was intended as a sabbatical. The bar itself and being back in his own body was the sabbatical. It's while Sam is on that sabbatical that he is given the chance to go home, but he doesn't take it, committing to Leaping instead.

As for wiping out Project Quantum Leap - well, while it's true that Sam no longer needs that set-up to propel him through time, it's by no means clear that Al's changed destiny prevents the project from coming into being. Even if Al wasn't there to Observe then we've already seen from the episode 'A Leap For Lisa' that someone else could fill that role - Edward St John V as played by Roddy McDowall. However, it's pretty clear that the bar will be Sam's new base of operations (as it is for other Leapers) and Barman Al (God?) the new Ziggy.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2018 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Clearly I'm going to have to dig out the episode for another viewing. It has been a few years. 

I do recall that episode with Roddy McDowell, but I wouldn't say that it was definitive on the existence of Project: Quantum Leap without Al. There's no guarantee that the events of that timeline would recur in one where Al survived and was still an Admiral in the Navy. Time is a tricky business. Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey, and all that.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2018 at 4:28am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

There's no guarantee that the events of that timeline would recur in one where Al survived and was still an Admiral in the Navy.

That argument cuts both ways - a timeline with a happily married Al still working with Sam at the project could be equally valid. Even if it isn't, 'A Leap For Lisa' does show that someone else (even if it's not Edward) could step in and fill any void left by Al. There is no reason for the project to blink out of existence if Al isn't there, alive or not.

Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey, and all that.

*Shudder* Nothing personal, Brian...but how I wish I could Leap back in time to wipe that stupid infantile phrase out of history.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 February 2018 at 5:17am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

True. Except for what's given in the title cards at the end, we don't know what happens exactly in the new timeline created by Sam's intervention and Al's new happy ending. What I wrote above does contain such phrases as "may be" and "very likely." I was not stating absolute certainties that we could draw from the episode, but rather logical outcomes. I agree that the Roddy McDowall episode is an effective argument against those conclusions, but it, in itself, is not conclusive either.

I also admit to a bias towards information given in the earlier seasons over that of later years when we had Evil Leapers, direct interventions from Satan, and sketchier writing overall.

Sorry about the Moffatism. :-)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version