Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Classic stories from... THE OTHER SIDE! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I would also like to see a Power Man/Iron Fist arc done in the extra-realistic manner of GOTHAM CENTRAL or even the O'Neil/Adams BATMAN (with Master Khan taking the place of Ra's Al Ghul).

And a WONDER WOMAN epic with the power of Lee/Kirby's Odinsword arc (replacing the Asgardians with the Olympians) would really be something!
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

How about. swapping out the FF for the Doom Patrol in JB's FANTASTIC FOUR
"Into the Negative Zone" storyline?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I had a blast working with this concept. I came up with about thirty workable premises and narrowed that down to five favorites.

Here's two of them...

"Batman and the Outsiders- Membership Madness!" Based on the Defenders storyline in which the group is outed on TV as a "non-team" and therefore absent any membership requirements besides simply calling oneself a Defender. In this case we can have Windfall, the super-naive, shy former member of the Masters of Disaster, telling everyone in a TV interview and all of her friends, good and bad alike, that the Outsiders are super-nice and will accept anyone and everyone into their ranks. All anyone has to do is look at Looker to know that it's true. And before you know it, the team is besieged by every Mort, also-ran, and second-rater not currently in a published title, showing up on their doorstep to offer their services; Guardian and Bumblebee! Olsen Clones! Titans West! The Odd Man! Angel and the Ape! Atlas! Beowulf! Super-Hip! The Fearless Tarantula! Brother Power, the Geek! The other team of Outsiders! Plus a number of criminal groups go on a rampage claiming to be Outsiders, because, hey, isn't everybody? Hilarity ensues.

"The Wrath of The Vision!" From Fleisher and Aparo's Spectre series, we show the Vision at a time when he is cut off from the Avengers and the reassuring presence of the Scarlet Witch, descending into emotionally colder and colder climes, doling out vengeance upon his foes that is truly merciless and biblical in nature. Using his comprehensive knowledge of the Avengers database, he is able to quickly replicate various transformative powers used by Avengers foes to render his victims into wood, glass, or small enough to be easily cut in two with scissors. If we need to later, we can say that his synthezoid form was taken over by the unearthly, mystical Golden Age version of the character and pin it all on him. In the meantime, evildoers really do have something to worry about for the next ten issues...

Edited by Brian Hague on 25 January 2018 at 12:05am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Adam, you pretty much got an Alan Moore version of the Squadren Supreme when JMS did Supreme with Gary Frank. And very good it was too (IMHO)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Brian, I think your ideas are DYNAMITE! "The Wrath of... THE VISION!" by Fleischer and Aparo gives me tingles. And accounting it to the Golden Age Vision is brilliant as well. I'd pay good money to read that story!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I do like that "Membership Madness" idea!

I could also see it with the Doom Patrol though!  And that leads me to think--I could see the whole Steve Gerber run on DEFENDERS redone with the DOOM PATROL!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks, guys! Eric J., Steve Gerber was kind of the Grant Morrison of his day, bringing a sense of knowing absurdity to comics. Or "Bozo-ism." Mr. Nobody and his Brotherhood of Dada could have found a lot to talk about with the Headmen. And Ruby, with her swapped-out head, presents straight-down-the-middle some of the same conundrums and philosophical concerns Morrison tried to raise with his Brain vs. Robotman story. The DP had a great many absurdist moments throughout their history, but Morrison's DP sensibility in Gerber's stories would be something to see! 

Edited by Brian Hague on 25 January 2018 at 4:53pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version