Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Action #1000: Red Trunks Return Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

All I need to know is, will my beloved Super Turtle be there? If I'd known I bet I could've made a new half-pager that would've been acceptable. :^)

And secondly, will the Max Fleisher cartoon look be represented at all?

Wayne Boring was known for the sort of slouching through the window pose, but he did a fun Bizarro (me hated it).

I remember before Byrne came in that they had Captain Carrot and his Zoo Crew cross-overs, maybe that shows how serious DC was about Supes at the time, though even that was an improvement over the 'imaginary' stories where he marries Jimmy Olsen to a gorilla in a veil and stuff.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Adam, I think you have to log into the site to see what you are trying to share with that link.

I tried saving the image but this site won't let me upload it. Ah well.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Rebecca, if you're talking about Jimmy Olsen #98, with the nine page "Bride of Jungle Jimmy" tale, that was not an imaginary story. 

Jimmy's in Africa, trying to get noticed by a film director so he'll be included in the movie being shot there. The director has a screening of "King Kong" for the native tribe that's been helping with the film and unfortunately, Bruna, a gorilla held sacred by the tribe, being incredibly imitative as simians in DC Comics are wont to be (See also: "The Super-Monkey From Krypton"), sees it and decides to fall in love with a human as Kong did. 

Trouble ensues as Jimmy tries to escape from the gorilla, so to placate everyone, Superman, whose powers denote him as a witch doctor to the tribe, decides to marry Jimmy off to Bruna to make her happy. 

Jimmy hits upon the idea of showing his new bride a film in which a gorilla throws a man out of a cave, which Bruna then imitates, ending the marriage. Where Jimmy got such a film or what it might be, who knows? We only have nine pages here. 

The intent was whimsical. Modern readers will have no concept of whimsy. No one makes it anymore. Scorn and derision, that we have a-plenty.

Edited by Brian Hague on 21 March 2018 at 2:18pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Wow, they don't write them like they used to. I'm thinking the film would've been ordered from Acme Film Co., if they can deliver anvils and rocket skates and industrial spring same day...

I only ever saw the cover, probably thanks to Fred Hembeck. Now I know the rest of the story... thanks Brian, I think. :^) Poor Bruna...

Did this one below 'really happen'?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Neal Adams cover around the tail-end of gorilla fever at DC? I think I preferred the Kryptonian Leprosy to this pun... :^)

Okay, I stop now, sorry, back to Action #1000!

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That Steranko cover is a very poor effort when you think that back in the Sixties he designed some Marvel covers that looked like nothing else being printed at the time. (And a couple of the more outre ones weren't printed, of course.)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

They had to go for that kind of cloakroom humor, Rebecca. Jokes about Kryptonian Leprosy were falling off back then... 

Also, according to the Multiversity and Hypertime models, everything ever written took place for real somewhere, so yes, that Boltinoff page is every bit as "in continuity" as you want it to be. 

I believe the follow-up was in "Superboy's Black-Hearted Nemesis, Lana Lang #82... Featuring 'The Prom Date of the Trepidatious Terrapin!'"

"Superboy, this joke has gone far enough! I don't want to engage in moral turpitude with this tortoise-shelled travesty!"

"Sorry, Lana, but as Smallville's local hepcat deejay, I now pronounce you Going Slow and Steady!"

Edited by Brian Hague on 21 March 2018 at 4:03pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As for Action #1,000, I'm looking forward to it for whatever reason. Some recognition of the character's long history is appreciated. I'm glad the Steranko piece is appearing as it makes a nice visual counterpoint to the story and illustrations he contributed to Superman #400. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Modern readers will have no concept of whimsy. No one makes it anymore.

The recently canceled SUPER-SONS series was pretty whimsical. Or at least "light," which hadn't been seen at DC since The New 52 began. 

THE TERRIFICS looks like it's going to be pretty "light" too. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2018 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If I can lay hands on it, I'll check out the Super-Sons series, Adam. I've gone looking for the Terrifics, but so far, no luck in finding a copy.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian H: "Jokes about Kryptonian Leprosy were falling off back then... "

You weren't beaten NEARLY enough as a child, were you? I give your Virus joke an X.

And I SO wish we had a like button for these here posts...! :) :) :)

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2018 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That's very kind of you, Eric! Thank you. I like your Virus X joke. 

I wonder if a modern version of that story could end the same way with our pal, Superman, cured by something called White K? 

"We tripled the dosage, Superman! Now it's Wh--"

"Don't, Lois. Don't..."

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version