Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Battle Lost... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

sigh

(Note too, that this actually manages to include a "classic" coloring mistake, where the woman's hair is not properly filled in on the left (her right) side, simply because there is no holding line.)

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The battle goes on, I guess. 

Not just with comics, but I feel language/terminology is so important. And if one is unsure - ASK. I have asked comic professionals, including you, sir, if i am unsure about something.

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm going to pretend they deliberately chose the wrong term so that they could copyright it.

Yeah, that's it. Just crafty lawyers, is all.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Also, we now live in a time when it's terribly au courant to point out the changing nature of language, thereby justifying any and every instance of incorrect usage falling into common parlance. Literally, the word "literally" no longer means literally. Because getting things wrong is the new right. The perfect era and mindset for the Trump presidency.

Apparently, enough people call them "speech bubbles" that the term is now that. The fact that it's incorrect in terms of history and knowledge of the subject matter makes it MORE correct now, because, y'know the tyranny of Angry White Men enforcing outdated language codes that never reflected the opinion of the common people and so on and so forth... See also "Shazam!" rather than "Captain Marvel."

It's right BECAUSE it's wrong. All hail the tyranny of the masses and the elitists who dictate and enforce their holy will. Praise be unto Legion, For He Is Many.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

See also "Shazam!" rather than "Captain Marvel."

Don't get my blood pressure started on that one! 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Also, we now live in a time when it's terribly au courant to point out the changing nature of language
-----------------------------
Well, this is a moot point.

Is it up for debate? Or is NOT up for debate? No one knows, because of our words have been so mangled!!!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Ray Brady wrote:
...I'm going to pretend they deliberately chose the wrong term so that they could copyright it...

Ray, forgive me getting technical here, and picking a nit... I am not doing it to step on your joke, but many people use "copyright" interchangeably with "trademark."

One cannot copyright a word. That is why both Marvel and DC could have a "Captain Marvel," for instance. BUT, you can trademark a word! 

Trademarks are used to avoid confusion on the marketplace, for one example. It is used to protect a company brand, and must be renewed every few years. You can lose it if you don't use it (see "Captain Marvel" again, for an example of that). One must pay to have a trademark for it to be granted.

Copyrights protect original works of authorship. One a work is created in reproducible form, it is automatically copyrighted. You could draw something right now, add a copyright notice to it, and it is technically copyrighted. BUT, you should register the copyright (which costs way less than getting a trademark, incidentally), as it gives unquestionable legal proof that you own the copyright if that is put into question. Copyrights last the lifetime of the creator of the work, plus 70 years after the creator has passed. Works created for hire last 95 years from publication, or 120 years from the date of creation, whichever is shortest.

The people who made that dry erase board could trademark "speech bubble," if nobody else has done so.

Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version