Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Segregation of collections Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2018 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Time was, you bought movies on video. Then on DVD and then Blu Ray.

Now, movie collections can be split over all manner of media. So I have films on DVD, Blu Ray, Flixster, iTunes, Ultraviolet, Sky and Google Play.

Thatís a lot of formats to remember user accounts and passwords. I also have a feeling that it is no longer a Ďcollectioní but a random sample across a board - and for some weird reason it makes me uncomfortable. Iím probably in Ďthe scaleí which is the reason for this but I would really like a single space where everything sits

How do others feel about this?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2018 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The vast majority of my collection is DVD/ Blu. I have probably about 5 movies/ tv shows on iTunes. Of those five, four of them I already own on DVD. 

Iím with you, tho. I like to have everything together. Especially series or groups of films. For example, I would hate to have a third of all the James Bond films on DVD, a third on iTunes and a third on google play. Choose one format and get them all on it. 
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have a mix of bluray and dvd,trouble is i separate dvd
and bluray and also separate films from live music
bluray and dvd,this makes for an OCD headache that i
choose to ignore...then there`s my cd collection!

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2018 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Disney's Movies Anywhere app allows you to link your iTunes, Flixster, Ultraviolet, and Google Play accounts together.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2018 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I understand where James is coming from.

I will share this view: the impermanence of streaming means I don't consider that part of my collection. For instance, MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS is on Netflix. So I don't "own" it (I don't count a subscription fee as ownership, I am sort of "renting" them via my Netflix subscription). There will come a day where one will log on to Netflix and MMPR will not be on the site - so it's not part of my collection. 

If, however, I bought the series on DVD or Blu-ray, it'd be part of my collection.

Interesting question, James. :)

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2018 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thanks Robbie. Netflix and its revolving door of films also means i donít count those as part of my collection. Even the self produced stuff like Daredevil etc.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2018 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Most of my collection is DVD.  I will say though, newer flicks I mostly buy on Amazon streaming now, mostly because I don't have as much interest in deleted scenes as most other people (not for new movies, anyway.) I still buy DVDs if they're for something that has some more significant historical value to me. 

It doesn't bother me having the different formats, though.  Although, I have to laugh when I watch something on Netflix/Hulu/Prime that I have on DVD - have I gotten THAT lazy that I can't even put a DVD in?  

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2018 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think Flixter is going the way of the dodo.  I got a notice about it shutting down.  The main app I use is Vudu, but since Disney is pulling all their stuff from other streaming services and consolidating it into their own, I'm not sure what I will be using. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2018 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That there Jozef, is my main worry with digital copies. If Flixster shuts down (and I havenít received any notification of this), what happens to the digital copies I used to be able to watch?

I canít, can I?

Thatís one of the things feeding my nervousness of going digital - with all things - films, books, comics. Iíve been doing more digitally since I bought an iPad, and my nervousness has increased markedly about my Ďcollectioní

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2018 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thatís one of the things feeding my nervousness of going digital - with all things - films, books, comics. Iíve been doing more digitally since I bought an iPad, and my nervousness has increased markedly about my Ďcollectioní

I logged on to comiXology recently and it showed zero books in my account. WTF?! Clearly a glitch, but for a moment, I thought, 'If they are all gone, why? Will I have to pay all over again?' Made me nervous. It aged me. ;-)

I presume there are back-up plans for any digital service to give you your books/films back if things go down. Obviously, comiXology is different as you do keep what you own.

But the impermanence of streaming has led me back to DVDs/Blu-rays in recent years. Are the INSIDIOUS films still available via Netflix, Prime, etc? I don't know. I wouldn't have minded refreshing my memory in time for the fourth film (or is it fifth, I can't keep up?). But there are no guarantees they are still available digitally; at least if I had the DVDs on my shelf, that wouldn't be a problem.

I pay a membership fee to Netflix. That gives me a lot of choice, for which I am grateful. But I don't consider it part of my collection. The analogy doesn't work, but let's imagine there was an automobile version of Netflix: you pay a monthly fee, head to the company's car park and then borrow any car you desire. At any time whilst you pay the membership fee, you can go to this place and rent anything from a Range Rover to a 1983 Chevrolet Camaro (one can dream!). Although I'd enjoy driving those vehicles, they would not be mine, not really. I'd be paying the automobile equivalent of Netflix simply to use those cars, but they wouldn't be mine except in the sense they were "mine" whilst driving.

But if I went out and bought ten cars (Ford Bronco, Chevrolet Camaro, Range Rover, Porsche 928, 1957 Chevy), then they'd be mine and would make up part of my car collection. And if anyone wants to buy me any of those cars for my birthday, feel free!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version