Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: 15 Ways Star Wars ’Ripped Off’ Star Trek Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's the link:

Hmmm, some of those seem to be a stretch.

Is Chewbacca really a "First Officer"? The Millennium Falcon isn't the Enterprise and Solo/Chewbacca aren't running an operation akin to the structure of Starfleet.

Equating Gary Mitchell and others with the Jedi seems a stretch.

As for cartoon expansion, well many, many live-action franchises, film and TV, have spawned cartoons. Even Rambo got a cartoon.

I always enjoy reading those articles, but some of those are clutching at straws.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Stopped reading the moment they used "haters". This is such an angry bastard of a word, dismissing dissenting opinions without even the courtesy of consideration.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Although I read it (when I read an article, I find it hard to stop), words such as that are adversarial and I don't like their usage.

If someone called me a hater in real life, no matter how compelling an argument they might have on any issue, I'd have to walk away.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

When one example boils down to, "Star Trek filmed in California, Star Wars filmed in Tunisia. NEED I SAY MORE?" it's fair to say the thesis is dead and rotting. Star Trek's influence on Star Wars is inarguable, simply as a matter of being one of its more visible science fiction predecessors, but that's not what the author is talking about.

Most of the list appears to credit Star Trek with inventing long-established sci-fi conventions like warp speed, ray guns and female protagonists, when it's more accurate to cite them as part of Star Trek and Star Wars's shared ancestry. The author might have tried harder by comparing Star Trek's high concept "Wagon Train to the stars" pitch with Lucas's admitted appropriations from westerns like The Searchers, but all that would have done was demonstrated further common forbears.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2017 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Duh, they both take place in space? D'oh...

Seriously...

The only obvious one, not even mentioned, is CLOAKING DEVICE. 

Mentioned first in TESB, as well as the recent TLJ, also in several EU stories...

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2017 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Ripped off" seems to me to be the main disqualifier. "Copied", "duplicated", or even "homaged" - it would at least get my interest. But that phrase shows me that someone has an agenda, not an interesting observation.

As for the actual ripping off... it's SPACE OPERA. There are going to be similarities! And these are based on short stories and novels that used the concepts first. 

I remember Dave Cockrum "homaged" Star Trek in his work on Legion of Super-Heroes with the Legion Cruiser, which bore a strong resemblance (not duplication) to the Enterprise. And in X-Men #97, the first appearance of the bridge of a Shi'ar startship wasn't just an homage... I half expected to see Spock. And Claremont even uses "Prime Directive" and "photon torpedoes" - I mean, even if Star Trek was in limbo and X-Men wasn't exactly burning up the sales charts*, is there no self-respect or dignity in the man?

Ripped off... yeah, that makes me think it's all fair and balanced.

*But I'll bet Marvel would be happy for ANY book to have those sales numbers these days!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2017 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

More interesting to me would be a list of how many things STAR TREK borrowed from FORBIDDEN PLANET, Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, and other science-fiction before it. STAR WARS was created as an homage to the Flash Gordon movie serials, among other things, and George Lucas has been pretty open about that.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 December 2017 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Star Trek's debts to its forebears have been pretty well documented. One of the odder ones, I think, is the cap seen briefly in Captain Pike's quarters in the first pilot, which if adopted as part of the regular landing party uniform would have tied the series in more closely visually to Forbidden Planet and even TV's Rocky Jones, Space Ranger. The tradition was carried on by Supermarionation's "Captain Scarlet and the Mysterions."

We might spend a thread more profitably discussing the many differences the two franchises have. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2017 at 3:41am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

'15 Things Some Brain-Damaged Millennial Turned Into An Article'.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version