Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: OT- Captain Britain help (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 1  

im almost finished with the CAPTAIN BRITAIN trade that collects the Moore/Davis run on the character. I'm getting all the Claremont EXCALIBUR trades for Xmas. Did CB appear in anything between the Moore/Davis run and when Excalibur began? If so, has anything been collected? Has anything BEFORE Moore/Davis bee named collected?

An unrelated query: how did Miracleman appear in the series? To my knowledge, he wasn't ever published by Marvel UK. 
Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 2  

There's also an earlier Davis and Delano run and all the appearances with Spider-man...

Sergio Calvet
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

He appeared in New Mutants annual #2 and X-men annual #11 (both by Claremont and Davis).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

Got those. 

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

Following Alan Moore's last issue, there were three more strips that appeared in The Mighty World of Marvel in July - September 1984. These were written by Jamie Delano. Starting in January '85 a Captain Britain monthly was launched and ran for fourteen issues. A trade paperback collecting all 17 Davis and Delano stories was published in 1988.

Regarding Miracleman, when the Captain Britain stories were originally published, Warrior magazine was still printing Moore's Marvelman strip. It was only when it was reprinted in the US that the name was changed to Miracleman to avoid problems with Marvel. The heroes killed by the Fury (on and off-camera) on Captain UK's Earth were based on old British characters: The Talon = The Steel Claw, Android Andy = Robot Archie, Tom Rosetta = Tim Kelly from Kelly's Eye, The Arachnid = The Spider, Puppetman = Dolmann from The House of Dolmann, Tusker = General Jumbo, Gaath = Garth and, of course, Miracleman = Marvelman.

Edited by Robbie Moubert on 22 December 2017 at 1:59pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 6  

That's the one I meant !

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 7  

Sweet Robbie!

So, the simple name change was how Marvel/Miracleman could appear?

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

There are three hardcovers that reprint all of his pre-Excalibur appearances:

Birth of a Legend reprints his first series (39 issues) + his first two Super Spider-Man appearances.

Siege of Camelot reprints his remaining Super Spider-Man appearances, the Marvel Team-Up story and his shared run with the Black Knight in Hulk Comic (in case you wondered where Jackdaw came from)

Then there's a Captain Britain Omnibus that picks up from there and continues into the post-Moore stuff and X-appearances mentioned above, plus a two part Captain America story he was in.

The Delano* trade above picks up where Moore left off, but IIRC the Moore trade only had the Moore issues, and skipped the Thorpe/Davis stories that introduced the new costume and a number of elements Moore played with. If that is the case, I don't know if there are any tpbs with those stories, but there was a limited series "X-Men Archives: Captain Britain" that starts where the Black Knight story ended and goes to the end of the Moore run. It was 7 issues long, but you'd only need the first two.

(*Semantics compel me to mention that Alan Davis wrote the last two stories. Also, the tpb is color and standard size whereas the originals were oversized and b/w.)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 9  

Yeah, he's already in the new costume in the Moore TPB. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

Thanks VERY much, Dave! I saw those all listed on Amazon and there were no descriptions telling what was included. I think I know what I'm asking for for my birthday, now. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

I was going to say the Siege of Camelot hardcover has some of those, but Dave beat me to it. I got it for like 10 bucks still sealed at my local comic shop. I think Marvel must have liquidated those recently so you might be able to find them pretty cheap if you look around, Brian.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 12  

Who's the woman with CB on that trade paperback cover?

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version