Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Finished Later Than I Thought? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was quite surprised to learn that HAPPY DAYS continued until 1984. It didn't feel like it lasted that long.

It's a question of perception, I guess. It's just very 70s to me. If I had been on a gameshow, and a host had asked me to guess the year it ended, I've have said 1978 or 1979. I am actually very surprised to learn that it ran until 1984. Perhaps I just stopped watching it.

I was also surprised that MIAMI VICE ran until 1989 (it started in 1984). I don't remember watching it past 1987.

What about the other side of the coin, shows that ran for a short time, but felt longer?

STREET HAWK, an action-adventure show about a hi-tech motorcycle, ran for one season (13 episodes) before cancellation. Somehow, it felt longer. I can only assume that the constant reruns in my area affected my perceptions. In an age before IMDb and DVDs, I guess I watched some of the episodes more than once. It just felt like it lasted longer.

Looking forward to your views. So, what show ended later than you thought it did? And what shows had a short run, but felt longer?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 18 December 2017 at 9:05am
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Beverly Hillbillies, surprisingly, lasted 9 seasons.  I found that out a few years ago.  I would have thought it lasted maybe 5 at most.

And ER lasted 15(!) years.  I stopped watching at about season 9 or so.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, Kevin, I'd agree with those.

I probably gave up on ER around the ninth season, too.

There's a UK cartoon called DANGER MOUSE which ran from 1981 to 1991. I didn't follow it religiously, but if I'd been made to guess, I'd have said it ended around 1986/87. How on earth did it run for ten years?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

A great many Saturday morning shows created an illusion of long life for themselves by hanging around in perpetual repeats, summer after summer.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2017 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

DANGER MOUSE didn't actually run original episodesfor a full decade After the 8th series in 1987, it was out of production (but in repeats) until returning in 1991, for two final series(so it ended in '92).
In America, amost all the really long-running shows took considerable nosedives in the ratings well before their final seasons. SEINFELD and THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW are among the most notable exceptions, since both topped the ratings in their last year. MASH came very close, remaining in the top 10, even top 5 at the very end. ALL IN THE FAMILY had one year out of the top 10 from 1971-79.

Other former top-5 hits were still ' Top 10 or relatively popular top 20' shows that ended when they did to maintain some traces of their popularity. ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE would go in this category. So would THE COSBY SHOW, CHEERS, and FRASIER.
Then, you get a lot of the '70s and '80s 'classics that everybody watched, but everybody really gave up on watching them a year or more before they got cancelled. That would include 'CHiPs', THE MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, both Bob Newhart sitcoms, the two 'Bionic' shows, basically any Aaron Spelling or Garry Marshall ABC show that went from '70s mega-hit' to 'mid-80s old show that's still on'.
In syndication, fan tend to love the earlier episodes, then as cast changes occur ('It was never the same after Radar/Richie/Diane left)those episodes might be less familiar, or completely new, to someone catching the reruns. Some people forge ahead(if they want to watch a full run), many others are content to stick with 'the good ones', when Archie didn't own a bar, Laverne and Shirley were still in Milwaukee, the 4077th didn't take everything so damn seriously, etc.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 18 December 2017 at 4:06pm

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

We had children`s shows such as Bagpuss and Mr Benn that
only 12 episodes were ever made of each,but they were in
constant repeat so it did it seemed to be more.
Regarding Happy Days,i vividly remember it being huge
over here from around 1976 to 1979,after that i have no
memory of it,maybe later seasons were not shown in the
U.K.? I DO remember it was repeated around 1987/88
during breakfast tv when there was a journalist`s
strike,as was the 60`s Batman and both proved popular!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 2:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's a question of perception, I guess. It's just very 70s to me. If I had been on a gameshow, and a host had asked me to guess the year it ended, I've have said 1978 or 1979. I am actually very surprised to learn that it ran until 1984. Perhaps I just stopped watching it.

——

Age might make a difference. HAPPY DAYS is very 80s to me. Although I watched a lot of the older episodes in syndication, when I was old enough to stay up later and watch it in Primetime, JOANIE LOVES CHACHI was airing, Ted McGinley was part of the main cast, and Fonzie was dating a divorcée with a daughter, who was played by the late Heather O’Rourke of POLTERGEIST fame.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

After reading this topic, I think reruns play a part. 12 episodes for MR. BENN? Wow. Feels like so many more. 

Probably explains my perceptions pertaining to STREET HAWK. ITV reran it for a while in the late 80s. It always seemed fresh. Can't believe there were only 13 episodes.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bill: it looks like the first few years of 'Happy Days' aired nationally, until 1979 but the later oneswere only shown regionally(it ran on what became ITV, which was still under its different 'regional names' back then. 
It's likely that 'Joanie Loves Chachi' may not have aired at all in the UK, or at least, not nationwide.

Michael: the '82-83 season also had Crystal Bernard from WINGS, playing yet another visiting 'distant relative'(Howard's niece fom Texas or someplace else 'southwestern'). That was the last year the show made the top 30 of the ratings, because the midseason launch of 'The A-Team' competing in its time slot really nuked 'HD's ratings(dropped to 28th after being in the teens, as in prior seasons).

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I had no idea THE WALTONS lasted 9 seasons.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian,i guessed as much,the Gerry Anderson shows had
similar treatment over here.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Gilligan's Island has run forever in syndication despite lasting 3 seasons.  It seems like there are hundreds of episodes.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2017 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

If someone was to ask me what year ONE DAY AT A TIME ended, I would have guessed 1981 at the latest. But no it made to 1984.

And no way would I have guessed BARNABY JONES made it out of the mid seventies.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2017 at 2:19am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Nobody really paid much attention to THE WALTONS after about season 5 (the last with Richard Thomas, although he returned for the reunion TV-movies) or season 6 (after which Will Geer died). Michael Learned was also written out of the final season (to start in a short-lived CBS medical drama called NURSE), although she also returned for the 'reunions'.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2017 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

12 episodes for MR. BENN?

Actually 14 - 13 were made up to and including 1972 with a final episode produced years later in 2005. I've got them all on DVD and sill love them. The later episode is clearly mores polished but essentially retains the charm of the originals. 

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2017 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

It is interesting to pore over old network TV schedules and see how the early  years of some classic shows 'overlapped' with the last gasps of some others through the years. For instance, the 1972-73 season was the first for THE BOB NEWHART SHOW and M*A*S*H...and the last for BONANZA and MISSION IMPOSSIBLE.

In January, 1974, HAPPY DAYS aired opposite ADAM-12(which always felt like a '60s show', due to Jack Webb's production techniques, despite airing predominantly in the '70s.)

By 1982-83 M*A*S*H was coming to an end, along with ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE...and Bob Newhart had a new sitcom just starting that year. And over at Paramount, creaky old HAPPY DAYS was filming not far from some new sitcom called CHEERS.

BARNABY JONES was mentioned upthread, ending in 1980. At midseason, in December of '79, CBS moved that show to a different time slot before killing it. The replacement show in the old time slot? The DALLAS spinoff, KNOT'S LANDING..which outlived DALLAS by two years, finally expiring in 1993. (A year or so before that, on MARRIED...WITH CHILDREN, was a dream sequence where Al Bundy wants to speak with God, but the receptionist tells Al to wait until God finishes watching 'His favorite show, 'Knot's Landing'. Al responds, 'I always wondered why it was still on!'

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 20 December 2017 at 6:11pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

10 full seasons of SMALLVILLE sounds like utter torture to me.

Talk about a show that demands a much earlier cut-off.  3 or 4 seasons of a Superboy TV series makes sense... but 10??

Edited by Shaun Barry on 22 December 2017 at 4:21pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Shaun Barry wrote:
10 full seasons of SMALLVILLE sounds like utter torture to me.

It was.

*SPOILERS*

It lasted far too long. Clark took forever to take that leap, to learn to fly, etc. Many superheroes appeared before he did. His mother left the family home before he did (isn't it usually the child who leaves the family home first?). 

In one episode, there was talk of forming a "League" but Clark told other heroes, "I have some personal problems to deal with." Supervillain problems, you see. Maybe by forming a "League", they could have all dealt with it.

It should have lasted 4-5 seasons.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I gave up on Smallville after season 6. I've been meaning to finish it one of these days especially since they added the whole run on Hulu, but nothing I've heard about the last few seasons makes it sound like it's even worth finishing.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 December 2017 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I can count the number of episodes of SMALLVILLE that I watched on one hand.

(Tom Welling is on LUCIFER now, by the way.)

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Every now and then, I'll see ads for new episodes of GREY'S ANATOMY and I'm shocked. I seriously thought that show went off the air years ago!

I gave up on SMALLVILLE around season 6, I think. And it pretty much cured me from every wanting to watch another TV show ostensibly about a superhero in which the hero doesn't appear. Which is what I tell people when explaining why I haven't - and won't - watch GOTHAM.

What's next? QUEENS, featuring the fascinating day-to-day life of Peter Parker a few years before his spider-bite?

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 09 January 2018 at 11:44am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

What's next? QUEENS, featuring the fascinating day-to-day life of Peter Parker a few years before his spider-bite? 

Hey, that sounds good. We could see a younger Jameson (not much younger) solving crimes as a beat reporter with 8-year-old Parker assisting.

Or how about the romantic exploits of young Bruce Banner at Gamma Base? Despite it being years before the Hulk appeared, the show, like SMALLVILLE, could be contrived enough to introduce Abomination, Leader and others, forcing a young Banner and Betty Ross to save the day.

Brian, I double-dare you to send an e-mail to ABC asking for the QUEENS show. ;-)

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

THE WILD GREEN YONDER: Hal Jordan at the Air Force Academy.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I'd thought about the exciting exploits of a milksop scientist in the New Mexican desert, but ROSWELL was already taken as a show title.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 09 January 2018 at 7:40pm

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

CSI: CENTRAL CITY:  After graduating from Riverdale High, where he routinely completed his assignments late in Prof, Flutesnoot's class(but at least he never blew up the lab, like that Andrews kid), Barry Allen moves up in the world,  analyzing the hell out of random combinations of chemicals, and then putting them on his favorite shelf.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version