Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 3
Topic: The Simpsons did it again...... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2018 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Michael Roberts, my definition of a joke is obviously different than yours. I was discussing stereotypes. My comment on faux outrage was in placing so much blame on the character of Apu. Maybe I used the wrong word, I will concede that. You also enforced my point that it is all subjective. You have your experience I have mine. You feel yours is more valid. That does not make you right or wrong it is just how you feel. If I agreed racial jokes were worse that would have no value because I am not an affected minority?  I agree a man can not experience what it feels like physically to be pregnant but there are a lot of male OBGYNs that have valued opinions. If you as a minority have an opinion on what it is like to be white in America does that have value? Neither of us knows what it was like living in Nazi Germany for that average person but with research can we have a valued opinion? There are many things that contribute to a valued opinion, not just personal experience.

Maybe I can not see your point of view because I have never wished something because people would treat me differently. I honestly do not care. I know who I am as a person and that is what matters. Of course there are words and jokes that I would not use because I think they are offensive but I do not think every racial. sexist, fat, religious, etc joke is offensive. In life there are degrees and audience that everyone takes into account. That is why many comedians do not do shows at College and Universities anymore.

I think your question "Would I be incorrect in feeling that way?" is what I am getting at. No, you are not incorrect because it is your feeling, just not everyone need feel the same. 
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version