Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 9
Topic: The Simpsons did it again...... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: November 08 2018 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think most of that nuance has gotten lost in ensuing conversations which seek to either vindicate or condemn the character and its creators based on parts of this whole.

------

I think it's important to note that the voices complaining about Apu aren't asking to eliminate the character, either from history or the current episodes. They aren't asking for creators to be fired for what was done in the past. They are looking to redeem the character from his more negative elements. They are asking the creators to be more mindful of what is done with the character in the future. If one acknowledges that negatives to the character exist, then what's the harm in updating him? Do people grouse that Wonder Woman is not the secretary of the JSA anymore?

The show is nearly 30 years old. Surely there can be some humor mined from the character that doesn't rely on the tired, lazy stereotypes. Characters can change. Does anyone remember when Homer was just a gruff, 50s-type dad instead of being a lovable moron?

Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: November 09 2018 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Michael, 
I think that you've just nailed it. There will still be a segment that won't be happy unless the character is totally wiped out though.
Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 9
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version