Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Doug Jones in an Upset!!!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

But here in the United States - in a country where 24 or so percent actually VOTED FOR DONALD TRUMP - it's very hard for us to use exactly correct vocabulary. People here understand the sense of the word pedophile, even if it is the wrong one. And their vocabularies are pretty damned limited.

And I'm not sure what the right word would be. Google tells me hebephile applies to attraction to 11 - 14 year olds, and ephebophile is 15 - 19 year olds. All are heinous, but I doubt if one person in a thousand would know what those words mean.

----

The correct term for Roy Moore is alleged child molester. The issue is conduct not who is attracted to what.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The correct term for Roy Moore is waste of oxygen. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I was one of those people who complained that the year 2000 was not the start of the new millennium. I like to use words correctly. 

I see he is going on with the religious stuff pretty heavily now. Do people actually fall for this stuff or are they just playing along in fear of being ostracized by their family and friends? 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The correct term for Roy Moore is waste of oxygen. 

——

That too!

Edited by Michael Roberts on 14 December 2017 at 11:28pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I was one of those people who complained that the year 2000 was not the start of the new millennium. I like to use words correctly.

•••

Calendar dates are based on tradition, not math or "history". Do you celebrate Christmas in the spring?

The Christian calendar doesn't even start in the right year.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There was no year zero. Yes, the Christian calendar should have started on year zero but it didn't. Therefore the end of the 20th century was December 31, 2000. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There was no year zero. Yes, the Christian calendar should have started on year zero but it didn't. Therefore the end of the 20th century was December 31, 2000.

••

Why would there be a Year Zero? The first year of the Christian calendar is taken to be the first year of Jesus' life. He wasn't born at the end of Year Zero, bur at the beginning of YEAR ONE. Next year is Year Two. Or, if we go by the popular count, 1 AD, 2 AD, etc. AD translating as "In the Year of Our Lord".

Unfortunately, nobody knows when 1 AD was. Jesus was supposedly born in the reign of Herod, but the best match for which Herod died in 4 BC.

Nobody was counting from 1 AD, and when it was figured out there was an error. So you might as well say the millennium ended in 1947, 0r 2019, or any other totally arbitrary date. (This is based on fiction, after all. Even if Jesus was real, his biography is sketch at best!)

For the sake of aesthetic tidiness, for centuries we have been beginning millennia when the first two digits change. Score one for tradition.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Moore is still making excuses and refusing to concede, because military and other ballots still aren't in yet.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This is why I'm not prepared to get excited over a 1.5% win.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Moore is still making excuses and refusing to concede, because military and other ballots still aren't in yet.

----

According to the Washington Post, Alabama has 8,700 servicemembers. Even in the unlikely event that they all voted and 100% of those votes go to Moore, it still would not change the outcome.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Moore's intransigence brings me back to an editorial by one of Moore's law school professors, who despite being a conservative Christian, warned against electing Moore in the primary.

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2017/09/a_lesson_on_roy_ moore_from_his.html

QUOTE:
Roy Moore did not get along with his colleagues in law school or on the Supreme Court. The arguments were not over Christianity. 

In law school, the arguments arose from what Disraeli called "falling into a deep groove of illogic and being helpless to allow reason to pull you out." If Moore's analysis of a case was tantamount to thinking 1 + 1 = 3, and his classmates reasoned otherwise, there was no backing down by Moore. The class was willing to fight to the death against illogic that no legal mind but one in America would espouse.

Moore never won one argument, and the debates got ugly and personal. The result: gone was the fulfillment a teacher hopes for in the still peace of logic and learning. I had no choice but to abandon the Socratic method of class participation in favor of the lecture mode because of one student: Roy Moore.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version