Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I like how Star Brand was not a really nice guy
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I read DP 7, up until they had the characters join the military. I don't have those comics anymore, but I believe I only had 2 or 3 random issues after that happened.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I read STAR BRAND for JB, and enjoyed some of D.P. 7. What I saw of the other
titles didn't appeal to me enough to do more that take a glance at them.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I appreciate the audacity of it all (in hindsight, I was 3 years old at the time). To try and create something new is more "Marvel" in spirit than doing some mega-crossover gimmick for the anniversary. The stories I read were nothing special though, like someone already said catching lightning in a bottle again would've been impossible.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Robbie,
DP stood for Displaced Paranormals and there were 7 of them. I still have the first 10 issues of DP7, the first 4 issues of Star Brand , and coincidentally, just bought a few issues of Psi Force off of EBay yesterday. I didn't read that the first time around. With Star Brand, I was a JRjr. fan but found Ken Connell to be a pretty crummy human being. I tried a few of JB's issues but I quit after his second issue. I just lost interest in DP7 probably because they didn't have costumes. The interest in Psi Force came from a Brian Cronin article that I read Saturday. I remember trying Merc but I was already reading G.I. Joe and The Nam so that fizzled quick.

I'm always interested in new superhero universes. Devil's Due had something called Aftermath that came out right after I got back into comics. They were interesting with good creative teams but didn't last. The owner of my LCS had me check out Bob Layton, David Michelinie, and Dick Giordano's superhero line but it was finished by the time I checked it out. There's been a few more but they're always lacking something. I'm hopeful for some of the book's coming out of DC's Metal miniseries that starts in a month or so.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2017 at 11:57pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I wish there were more companies (or imprints) that just had ten or so titles each--with characters sometimes interacting--like the early days of Marvel or Silver Age DC.  I don't need two big companies with 60 titles each, I'd rather have ten little ones with different approaches/sensibilities.

NEW UNIVERSE could have worked, but I think a lot of the books suffered from lackluster art and/or shifting creative teams.  Unfortunately, this grand experiment was tried in the late 80's, a time when a lot of the best talent moved on to doing creator-owned comics and Marvel and DC both were starting to lose their way.

I notice everybody's favorite--D.P.7--is the only title with a stable creative team for its entire run.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 12 December 2017 at 12:02am

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I got Psi-Force as it was coming out (wanted to try one of the books and that seemed the most interesting) and made it to around #25. Nothing against it, but by then it was direct sales only and twice the price of a normal comic, so... I also got the occasional issue of DP7, Justice #16, Star Brand #12-13 and the Pitt special. Nothing unpleasant, but nothing that had me gagging for more, either.

Later on, the bargain bins netted me the rest of the books. Some interesting ideas in all of them, but it wasn't hard to see why half the line didn't survive the first year. I thought the post-PITT books were all pretty entertaining to the point where I was actually sad to get to the end. It was also unfortunate that the "grand finale" of the line, the War mini-series, was incredibly disappointing.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 6:48am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

DP stood for Displaced Paranormals…

••

In Gruenie's head it also stood for DOOM PATROL.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I can see that-- Antibody is a reasonable stand in for the Negative Man, to choose one example.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

In Gruenie's head it also stood for DOOM PATROL.

I remember that was mentioned in a fanzine and since I had no real knowledge of the Doom Patrol, I became interested in reading their adventures. Thanks to DP7, I became a Doom Patrol fan!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Shawn Kane wrote:
DP stood for Displaced Paranormals and there were 7 of them.

Thank you.

Shawn Kane wrote:
I still have the first 10 issues of DP7

Erm, you say you wanted a roommate, right? Or someone to sleep over for a week or two? I'm available...

Eric Jansen wrote:
I wish there were more companies (or imprints) that just had ten or so titles each--with characters sometimes interacting--like the early days of Marvel or Silver Age DC.  I don't need two big companies with 60 titles each, I'd rather have ten little ones with different approaches/sensibilities.

I agree with this. Less is more.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I've read in a bunch of places that the Shooter incorporated a lot of autobiographical elements into STAR BRAND*, but has he ever talked about in interviews?  The lead character was so unlikable and reptilian. 

*God, the title sounds like a line of generic paper towels.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version