Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - SPOILERS begin pg 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Took my seven year old son to see it and he and I both absolutely loved it. I don't even like or particularly know much about Miles Morales in comics, and was surprised to discover this film is one of my favorite super hero movies ever. It's a love letter to comics (right down to the texture of it) and Spider-Man. Some amazing innovative animation. Tons of easter eggs and in-jokes that I won't spoil. My son said it was one of his favorite movies he's seen and he knew nothing about any Spider-Man other than Peter Parker (which was pretty much the same for me with the exception of Peter Porker and just what I've read on the internet about the others).

Edited by Shane Matlock on 16 December 2018 at 9:08pm
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"...Is this a proper Spider-Man story—as in, a crime noir/soap opera story, rather than a cosmic/dimensional travel/time-travel story better suited to another character?"

So Spidey has had none of these other types of adventures, in the past 55+ years of comics, whether its been his own titles, his run-ins with every other type of cosmic or dimensional superhero in MARVEL TEAM-UP, or guest appearances in their titles, or in event series like SECRET WARS?  Not to mention the various oddball adventures in the various animated TV versions?  Perhaps you missed his appearance in this year's AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR?

Spider-Man has done just fine in these types of atypical situations as well.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 16 December 2018 at 6:12pm

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I would have fewer problems with Miles Morales if he had a hero-name other than "Spider-Man."

Kid Arachnid? 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

* I know very little about Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen or Spider-Man Noir beyond the fact they exist so can't speak to the accuracy of their portrayals.

----

I think everyone was pretty spot-on with regard to their comic counterparts. They even kept Spider-Ham's origin of being a spider bitten by a radioactive pig. The biggest deviation was the design of SP//dr, which was more an Evangelion-style mech suit in the comics rather than a cutesy robot.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I would have fewer problems with Miles Morales if he had a hero-name other than "Spider-Man."

Kid Arachnid? 

-----

That was Miles' name in the ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN Disney animated series.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Watching the trailers, this seems to be very much the way to do it, if they’re going to do it.

But why did they feel they had to do it?

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"* I wish Peter could've played more of a role in the climax; I understand the desire to give Miles a chance to shine, but it came across as a little "welp, good luck saving the world, kid"."

I didn't see it that way at all.  Peter begged to stay on to help Miles finish the job at hand.  Miles convinced him using all the lessons he learned FROM Peter while they spent time together.  Peter had no choice but to allow the kid his chance to shine.  He did it begrudgingly...but he did it.

What a GORGEOUS movie btw.

Really sweet and fun.  I'm no fan of multiple 'versions' of a character.  But if you have to have these 'multiverse' stories, this is the way to do it.  

Stan's cameo was golden...as always.

My non-superhero fan girlfriend loved it.  

Sony did a fine job here.  If they can continue with these animated adventures...while leaving the live action stuff with Tom Holland to Marvel Studios...I'd be happy.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 17 December 2018 at 3:27pm

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It was a terrific movie. My daughter and her friend both liked it-- my daughter even wanted to stay through the credits in case there was a final scene (and there was).

The introduction of Miles was very solid, to me, and adding the other Spider-folks worked out well. It was on Miles to be the leading hero at the end and he made it happen. Did the others have character arcs? Sure they did! But that doesn't detract from this movie being first and foremost about Miles Morales.

The animation is also bold, a mix of styles and formats, and it keeps viewers constantly engaged as nothing can be taken for granted. Visually, it is Oscar material.

The acting is solid too. Shameik Moore makes a great, emotionally resonant Miles, for one, and the rest of the cast sets a demanding pace.

All in all, it's a A+.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2018 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

But why did they feel they had to do it?

I've been asking myself that same question ever since Marvel first did that story in the comics several years ago. I really wish that they would have made all of those alternate,redundant,and legacy versions of Spidey their own original and unique superheroes instead of making Spidey less unique with all of those knockoff Spidey characters.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version