Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - SPOILERS begin pg 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Took my seven year old son to see it and he and I both absolutely loved it. I don't even like or particularly know much about Miles Morales in comics, and was surprised to discover this film is one of my favorite super hero movies ever. It's a love letter to comics (right down to the texture of it) and Spider-Man. Some amazing innovative animation. Tons of easter eggs and in-jokes that I won't spoil. My son said it was one of his favorite movies he's seen and he knew nothing about any Spider-Man other than Peter Parker (which was pretty much the same for me with the exception of Peter Porker and just what I've read on the internet about the others).

Edited by Shane Matlock on 16 December 2018 at 9:08pm
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 5:00pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"...Is this a proper Spider-Man story—as in, a crime noir/soap opera story, rather than a cosmic/dimensional travel/time-travel story better suited to another character?"

So Spidey has had none of these other types of adventures, in the past 55+ years of comics, whether its been his own titles, his run-ins with every other type of cosmic or dimensional superhero in MARVEL TEAM-UP, or guest appearances in their titles, or in event series like SECRET WARS?  Not to mention the various oddball adventures in the various animated TV versions?  Perhaps you missed his appearance in this year's AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR?

Spider-Man has done just fine in these types of atypical situations as well.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 16 December 2018 at 6:12pm

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I would have fewer problems with Miles Morales if he had a hero-name other than "Spider-Man."

Kid Arachnid? 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

* I know very little about Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen or Spider-Man Noir beyond the fact they exist so can't speak to the accuracy of their portrayals.

----

I think everyone was pretty spot-on with regard to their comic counterparts. They even kept Spider-Ham's origin of being a spider bitten by a radioactive pig. The biggest deviation was the design of SP//dr, which was more an Evangelion-style mech suit in the comics rather than a cutesy robot.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I would have fewer problems with Miles Morales if he had a hero-name other than "Spider-Man."

Kid Arachnid? 

-----

That was Miles' name in the ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN Disney animated series.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Watching the trailers, this seems to be very much the way to do it, if they’re going to do it.

But why did they feel they had to do it?

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

"* I wish Peter could've played more of a role in the climax; I understand the desire to give Miles a chance to shine, but it came across as a little "welp, good luck saving the world, kid"."

I didn't see it that way at all.  Peter begged to stay on to help Miles finish the job at hand.  Miles convinced him using all the lessons he learned FROM Peter while they spent time together.  Peter had no choice but to allow the kid his chance to shine.  He did it begrudgingly...but he did it.

What a GORGEOUS movie btw.

Really sweet and fun.  I'm no fan of multiple 'versions' of a character.  But if you have to have these 'multiverse' stories, this is the way to do it.  

Stan's cameo was golden...as always.

My non-superhero fan girlfriend loved it.  

Sony did a fine job here.  If they can continue with these animated adventures...while leaving the live action stuff with Tom Holland to Marvel Studios...I'd be happy.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 17 December 2018 at 3:27pm

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It was a terrific movie. My daughter and her friend both liked it-- my daughter even wanted to stay through the credits in case there was a final scene (and there was).

The introduction of Miles was very solid, to me, and adding the other Spider-folks worked out well. It was on Miles to be the leading hero at the end and he made it happen. Did the others have character arcs? Sure they did! But that doesn't detract from this movie being first and foremost about Miles Morales.

The animation is also bold, a mix of styles and formats, and it keeps viewers constantly engaged as nothing can be taken for granted. Visually, it is Oscar material.

The acting is solid too. Shameik Moore makes a great, emotionally resonant Miles, for one, and the rest of the cast sets a demanding pace.

All in all, it's a A+.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2018 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

But why did they feel they had to do it?

I've been asking myself that same question ever since Marvel first did that story in the comics several years ago. I really wish that they would have made all of those alternate,redundant,and legacy versions of Spidey their own original and unique superheroes instead of making Spidey less unique with all of those knockoff Spidey characters.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2018 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My 8-year old son and I saw it yesterday afternoon... we both loved it.  This type of approach and animation blows the doors off for any future animated takes on any superhero property.

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2018 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I was in a comic shop the other day and I saw this women buying a stack of Spider-Gwen comics for her daughter and her friends and also ordering what the shop didn't have.

I had know idea who Spider-Gwen was going into the movie and I loved her. Great costume design!

I've never been a fan of alternate versions of established characters with maybe the exception of Spider-Man 2099, but Into the Spider-Verse changed my mind on it. I'm really enjoying picking up these comics and finding out more about them. I haven't bought a Spider-Man comic in at least 10 years, maybe more, and I'm having a blast. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2018 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I am fundamentally against the deuniquing of characters. I hated the Ultimate universe with a passion. 

That said? Wow. This is a beautiful movie - in art, in heart. & it has the best dedication to Stan & Steve that I have seen in any movie. I will be watching this many, many times.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2018 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Saw it.   Liked it a lot.

The writing and presentation were top-notch.  It presents both the multiverse concept and Miles' origin story efficiently and clearly.

My only gripe -- and in the grand scheme of things, it's probably not worth worrying about -- is they made the older, fatter, mopey-because-he-broke-up-with-MJ, and  "Hey, I forgot my wallet can you get this one"  Peter Parker originate from the 616-MU.  Yeah, it's not overtly stated... it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it footnote on a computer screen... but meh.

For a movie that celebrates not just Spider-man, but the concept of Spider-man as a whole you'd think they'd be a little more respectful of the original source character.   If it wasn't for that sometimes-mopey, sometimes-obsessive character there wouldn't even be a film like this.  Why are modern writers so obsessed with taking Peter Parker's character quirks and pushing them to their ultimate depressing endpoints? (Earth-X, Spider-man: Reign, among others)

It reminds me of what came out of the discussion in the Redeeming Cyclops thread over in the main forum:   

Don't blame a character for being written badly for decades.   
Blame the writers!

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 29 December 2018 at 11:40am

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2019 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Now a Golden Globe winner for Best Animated Feature!

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Just watched the blu-ray and enjoyed the animation but was lukewarm on the multiple universe thing.

On top of that, I hated the "message" of the movie.  "Anyone" can be Spider-Man.  <Groan>.  Way to crap all over Peter Parker.  

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

“Anyone can be Spider-Man.”

Felt to me like he meant an ordinary person can step up and rise to the occasion and do the very best of their capability to help others.  Just like Peter Parker chose to do.

Doesn’t crap on anyone as far as I can tell.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I guess one can interpret the words to fit whatever they want.  But they literally said and showed that anyone can be Spider-Man. 

Peter Parker was either killed or a fat, has-been.  Seems like crapping on him and celebrating all the others, especially Miles Morales.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Saw it about a month ago and my wife and I loved it.  From the animation, to the voice work, to the powerful themes of the movie, to the score: It worked on every level and was wildly original in terms of visual style and execution.  Reading back in this thread, I was initially skeptical and didn't know that I'd ever want to see it, but I'm now glad that I did.  It's a story of empowerment for people of all ages, sexes and races.  Absolutely deserving of the Oscar for Best Animated Feature.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Peter Parker was either killed or a fat, has-been.  Seems like crapping on him and celebrating all the others, especially Miles Morales.

———

“Our” Peter Parker being older was one of my very slight criticisms of the movie, but I wouldn’t describe him as a has-been. Even out of shape, he was supremely confident in his abilities and the natural leader of the group. I don’t think he was being crapped on at all. He was the only character other than Miles to have a character arc. He was a wreck after splitting with MJ because he wasn’t ready to be a father, but after mentoring Miles, he realized that he was and fixed his life.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I REFUSED to see this when it came out, just like I REFUSED to watch FRIENDS when it premiered.  I ended up loving both when I finally gave them a try.

This movie was a fantastic surprise - I caught it in the theater just before the Oscars and plan on adding it to the library now that it’s out.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

“Our” Peter Parker being older was one of my very slight criticisms of the movie, but I wouldn’t describe him as a has-been. Even out of shape, he was supremely confident in his abilities and the natural leader of the group. I don’t think he was being crapped on at all. He was the only character other than Miles to have a character arc. He was a wreck after splitting with MJ because he wasn’t ready to be a father, but after mentoring Miles, he realized that he was and fixed his life.

I just don't see the approach to Peter Parker as equitable to Miles.  The "better" Peter Parker of Miles' universe was killed by the Kingpin.  The out of shape Peter Parker of our universe was beaten/losing to the Kingpin.  Miles Morales on his first day as Spider-Man beats the Kingpin.

If anything, Parker was right to try and protect Miles.  Miles wasn't ready and no amount of desire was going to be a substitute for experience.  

They were trying to make Miles' motivation similar to Peter's since they both lost their uncles but it was just so contrived.  I mean, why did the Kingpin kill one of his lieutenants like that?  Because he paused?  It didn't make sense.  Regardless, Miles had reason to be sad but not really responsible in the same way as Peter with his uncle.  

But now they're trying to force feed that even Peter's story isn't unique.  This wasn't alternate Peter losing his uncle too, it was completely unrelated Miles losing his uncle.  His criminal uncle who was not exactly teaching Miles good lessons.  

Thinking about it now, if anything, Miles' story should have probably led him to be a criminal with spider powers.  He related to his uncle more, had no reservations about breaking the law, his uncle was nurturing that type of behavior...and that was just the mild stuff that he was showing him to that point.  Dude was a super-villain.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

TIM: This movie was a fantastic surprise - I caught it in the theater just before the Oscars and plan on adding it to the library now that it’s out.
--

I don't think there's a VHS release for this one, Tim... 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Watching it at home right now with my son (picked up the Blu-ray)...

Even better, funnier and more effective the second time around.  This is a good, fun film.  And absolutely gorgeous to look at!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 22 March 2019 at 6:11pm

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 March 2019 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Doug, how little you understand technology! Obviously, I will do what so many other TV purists do - I will buy a blu-ray of the movie and have it transferred to VHS for my viewing pleasure.  Oh sure - paying extra for the pan and scan can be a lot of money, but it’s so worth it when I play it back on my tube television.

Get with the times, Doug!!

Mike Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2019 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

https://youtu.be/TGXEh-YEj40

Great interview with Justin K.Thompson (no
relation).

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version