Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - SPOILERS begin pg 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2018 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

They lost me after the colon. No interest. 
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2018 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If everyone is special, no-one is special.

You nailed it, Robbie! Flash Thompson is Venom, Pepper Potts has her own armor, Jane Foster is Thor, Rick Jones and Betty Banner are Hulks...it seems like Marvel can't have non-powered supporting cast members. Speaking of de-uniquing, there's an advertisement in the current Marvel issues about a Miles Morales book that says "The Coolest Spider-Man Is Back In His Own Series!" not to mention that they're letting Doctor Octopus become the Superior Spider-Man again. So the original Spider-Man isn't cool?

Edited by Shawn Kane on 02 December 2018 at 10:35am

Philip Obaza
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2018 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Will definitely check it out.

The film currently sits at 100% at Rotten Tomatoes (54 reviews so far).

People I know who have seen the film have also praised it, particularly
the animation and how gorgeous it looks.

I know virtually nothing of the Miles Morales character, but I'm
interested in giving this a shot.

Does anyone know if this "counts" as an MCU film?

Also, hats off to whoever's idea it was to cast Lily Tomlin as Aunt May.

Edited by Philip Obaza on 02 December 2018 at 11:41pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2018 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Does anyone know if this "counts" as an MCU film?

----

It does not.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Up for a Golden Globe for Best Animated Motion Picture against Isle of Dogs and Ralph Breaks the Internet.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Saw the trailer with my girlfriend, she asked me: "do they have all this crap in the comics?" I nodded and she rolled her eyes.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think that's an apt response.

Spider-Man is Marvel's biggest character, for many years the one that most civilians knew (and that's probably still the case). The character is a multi-billion-dollar property all by himself. 

In my opinion, I think having multiple versions on the big screen (and in the comics, for that matter) can only serve to confuse the viewer/reader and, in the long term, devalue the character. I don't know how much say Marvel had in the matter of this film, given the ridiculous ad infinitum licensing contracts they signed in the past, but if I were them, I'd be worried about what Sony is doing here.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2018 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I don't know how much say Marvel had in the matter of this film, given the ridiculous ad infinitum licensing contracts they signed in the past, but if I were them, I'd be worried about what Sony is doing here.

———

How so? Sony is using Marvel’s playbook. The various animated series (which are under Marvel TV), the comics, and all the Marvel merch are leaning heavily on the various Spider-Verse characters.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2018 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Look, this one is obviously being geared towards kids first... so I think that's a good thing.  Are there one too many Spider-People running around in this one for my taste?  Maybe, but if my son ends up loving all the versions, then it's all good to me.

Stevie Thomas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2018 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Look, this one is obviously being geared towards kids first... so I think that's a good thing."

I agree whole-heartedly. I support R-rated superhero movies being made if there's an audience for them, but where are all the PG-rated ones that I can take my young kids to? Very much looking forward to having a father-son outing to Spider-Verse.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 3:29am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

(Jumping in here to give a SPOILER alert for the remainder of the thread without removing any posts.  Read further on this thread at your own risk!  We now return you to our regularly scheduled rambling.  — Tim)

Just got back from watching. If you don't like the idea of Miles Morales or other multiple Spider-People, this movie probably won't change your mind. Getting past that, the animation is gorgeous. I could watch the movie again with no sound and just appreciate the visuals and the movement.

My only real issue with the movie is that the Peter Parker from our Earth is in his late 30s and kind of a mess after a split with MJ. It plays into his character arc with Miles, but still.

The different Spider-people's backgrounds are told really efficiently, and I think they make the multiverse concept really easy to understand for the all-ages audience this is geared toward. Probably the most confusing thing to non-comics fans is the "Ultimate" Peter Parker, and they simplify that by making him younger and blonde (and voiced by Chris Pine). There were also plenty of sight gags for the eagle-eyed that emphasize that Miles' universe is not the same as our own.

The Stan Lee cameo was especially poignant in light of his recent passing.

I loved the post-credit scene.

Edited by Tim O'Neill on 16 December 2018 at 1:51pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

In my opinion, I think having multiple versions on the big screen (and in the comics, for that matter) can only serve to confuse the viewer/reader and, in the long term, devalue the character. I don't know how much say Marvel had in the matter of this film, given the ridiculous ad infinitum licensing contracts they signed in the past, but if I were them, I'd be worried about what Sony is doing here.
+++++++++

Ding-ding-ding!

For me, there are only two questions to ask in regards to this film:

1. Is Spider-Man Peter Parker, the character created by Lee and Ditko?

2. Is this a proper Spider-Man story—as in, a crime noir/soap opera story, rather than a cosmic/dimensional travel/time-travel story better suited to another character?

The answer to both questions appears to be “no”, in this instance. So, why should I care?

And, Miles Morales is never gonna become a thing, no matter how much the PC police want him to. Spider-Man is Peter Parker, and diluting the brand with a bunch of alternate versions devalues the character, as Peter (...Martin, not Parker!) notes. 

It may well be a “good movie”, but is it a good Spider-Man movie? That’s all I care about. And it ain’t a good Spider-Man movie if Spider-Man—the real Spider-Man—is shoved off to the sidelines and replaced with a plethora of pretenders. That feels more like a DC move, if anything. And yet, people are calling this a “love letter” to Spider-Man and his history. Sorry, but a bunch of references, cameos, and in-jokes do not a good movie make.

I’ve had a sneaking suspecicion that this film may underperform, if not outright bomb, because people may not want to see a Spider-Man film where the character who has held the name across all media for decades isn’t even the central focus. That would be like making a Superman movie where Superboy (the teenaged clone introduced in the 90s “Reign of The Supermen” arc) is the star. We’ll quickly see. All of the early critical praise has only affirmed my suspicions, since I no longer trust the opinions of a large chunk of mainstream media critics. They seem more and more out of touch with what the general public wants, and what’s best for beloved characters and properties.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

If this is a fun family film that gets a new generation interested in these characters, I hope that Marvel, Sony, and everyone else involved ignores the criticism of guys in their 40's like me.

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I was grinning for most of the runtime. I've never read a Miles Morales comic (or any of the alternate versions except for Peter Porker), and I found this totally engaging, thrilling, emotional — it felt like reading a big, crazy Spidey Annual.

Comic movies — and by extension comics themselves — don't have to be only for adult men or little children, a choice between Watchmen and Mickey Mouse. You can have it all (ages); it just takes creators with the imagination & determination to "make it so."

Loved this movie. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I have a hard time believing this will bomb... looks like a ton of fun.  They're trying something a little different and more modern, I have no real qualms with the approach.  Is the whole concept of a "spider-verse" pretty silly to this old-school Spidey fan?  Sure, but it looks like it'll work just fine within the confines of a go-for-broke animated feature.

And hasn't Miles Morales been around for about 7 or 8 years?  I'm pretty sure the character has "become a thing" a for awhile now.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

And hasn't Miles Morales been around for about 7 or 8 years?  I'm pretty sure the character has "become a thing" a for awhile now.   

——

At this point, Miles has been featured in two Spider-Man animated series, a record-breaking PS4 game, and now this film. All of which have a broader reach than the comic books. At this point, I think he’s firmly established in Spider-Man lore.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

-Headed for $35-40 mil. opening weekend

-On par with RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET

-Should top the likes of BIG HERO 6 and LEGO BATMAN MOVIE

-A+ Cinemascore from opening day audiences

I don't think Sony is worried...

Edited by Shaun Barry on 15 December 2018 at 2:38pm

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Just got back from seeing. I thought the movie was fantastic. I'll say it's my favorite comic book movie to date. 

Paul Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

It was great. Plot wise, it was a mix of Miles's origin, and the recent Spider-Men and Spider-Verse comics.
I loved Doctor Octopus.

Philip Obaza
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Just got back and have to say, I really enjoyed it.

It throws a lot at you, but without being convoluted or insincere. I
understand a lot of the concerns expressed about "de-uniqueness," but
I didn't really feel that watching the movie. Loads of in-jokes and easter
eggs for fans (as I expected), but still accessible as a whole.

Visually dazzling to watch. THIS (or should I say these?) is the Spider-
Man we simply can't have in live-action due to physical limitations;
leaping, swinging, thwipping, crawling in nearly every conceivable
angle and pose.

Beyond the visuals though, it's incredibly engaging and packs a great
balance of humor and warmth. Easily the funniest and most emotional
of all the Spider-Films. I even found myself tearing up in spots. I can
only imagine what we could have had if there had been a team like
Lord and Miller in charge of the live-action films from the start.

There are some nit-picky things in the movie, but they're hardly worth
mentioning.

And to echo what others have said, Miles is Spider-Man and has been
around for seven years now. To say he "isn't" to me is the equivalent of
saying John Stewart or Kyle Rayner "aren't" Green Lantern.

You don't have to like them, but writing them off as "invalid" or "PC"
seems awfully wrong-headed.

Edited by Philip Obaza on 15 December 2018 at 4:35pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2018 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

You can’t take the spider powers off and put them on someone else like you can a ring. 

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Loved it!

My only complaint is that *only* Ditko and Lee got a special thanks in the end credits. I can think of forty creators off the top of my head who should have at least gotten a mention. Bendis, Pichelli, Bagley, Slott, DeFalco, Armstrong...giving proper credit doesn't cost anyone a dime.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I added a spoiler warning to Michael R’s post above so we don’t lose any posts, but in case anyone missed it,

SPOILERS ahead!  Read further at your own risk!!

Philip Obaza
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Weekend Box Office: Spidey Swings:

Edited by Philip Obaza on 16 December 2018 at 3:18pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2018 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Just saw it. Generally liked it, and the bits that bugged me are more tied to the nature of the story they wanted to tell than any "mistakes" on their part. (I'm here for Peters Parker and Porker, but it's a "Miles Morales and Friends" movie, so...)

Some random thoughts:

* I know very little about Miles Morales, Spider-Gwen or Spider-Man Noir beyond the fact they exist so can't speak to the accuracy of their portrayals.
* Interesting choice to combine an origin story with a "no longer alone" plot. Didn't give him much time to feel alone in a crowd.
* This was very much a tribute to de-uniquing of characters. Anyone firmly opposed to such things should stay away.
* Some moments with the Kingpin were a lot more brutal than I would have expected.
* The Kingpin was pure Bill Sienkiewicz, which I liked.
* The Peter/Gwen interaction was curiously "light", all things considered. I guess they didn't want to get too convoluted with Peter, maybe?
* I wish Peter could've played more of a role in the climax; I understand the desire to give Miles a chance to shine, but it came across as a little "welp, good luck saving the world, kid".
* Interesting take on Aunt May.
* Post credit scene was... certainly something. :-)

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version