Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Politically Correct Reprints Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Mention of a disclaimer reminds me that the Warner video division has done this with cartoon collections. From their Academy Award Animation Collection DVD:

"The animated shorts you are about to see are a product of their time. They may depict some of the ethnic and racial prejudices that were commonplace in American society. These depictions were wrong then and are wrong today. While the following does not represent the Warner Bros. view of today's society, the animated shorts are being presented as they were originally created, because to do otherwise would be the same as claiming these prejudices never existed."

Which sounds moderate and well-reasoned, but, in certain moods, I can pictures as shoving a finger in the eye of complainers.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

you indicated, the use of the edited pages in the Omnibus version was accidental. I think that would have been the ideal division. The trade paperback for the mass market removing some of the problematic material and the expensive Omnibus containing the uncensored pages.
+++++++

Yep.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I have read a few media stories recently of people wanting statues removed and buildings renamed because of certain historical figures` links to the slave trade,despite their benevolence in other areas.Surely pretending these people didn`t exist is counter-productive and a bit of historical context and common sense should prevail?

•••

Which "benevolent" figures have been threatened with excision?

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Matt Hawes wrote:
]t's not too likely that a young kid new to comics, or a parent choosing a book for their child, is going to pick up a volume of Golden-Age reprints, though.

Libraries today are pretty heavy consumers of reprint TPBs.  The Seattle Library system here has an extensive collection of comic trades that are readily accessible to children and often shelved in the children's section of individual libraries. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

One thing I noticed with CLASSIC X-MEN in the 1980s was that when characters said "hell" in the original comics it was changed in the reprints to "Hades," and "damn it" was changed to "blast it."

So much for verisimilitude. Nobody says such things in real life.

It seems to have been Marvel policy throughout the 1980s that no character could say even the mildest "swear words." If the problem with 21st century superhero comics is that they're not kid-friendly enough, 1980s Marvel went too far in the other direction in this particular way. (DC allowed for "damn" and "hell" even in Comics Code approved titles.) 

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

DC must have followed different rules for foreign editions. In the mid-80s, I had an oversized comic called SUPERMAN SPECTACULAR(48 pages, cardboard covers, approximate size of a 'Tintin' paperback, featuring a story created in the US, but, to my knowledge, not sold here, and intended for sale in the UK and elsewhere.
. The story had a scene where Luthor appears to kill Superman, and Lois shouts, "DARN you, Luthor! I could KILL YOU!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

]t's not too likely that a young kid new to comics, or a parent choosing a book for their child, is going to pick up a volume of Golden-Age reprints, though.

++++++

Libraries today are pretty heavy consumers of reprint TPBs. The Seattle Library system here has an extensive collection of comic trades that are readily accessible to children and often shelved in the children's section of individual libraries.

•••

Golden Age reprints? And kids are taking them out? As it stands, your statement in no way refutes Matt's.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 2:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Golden Age reprints? And kids are taking them out? As it stands, your statement in no way refutes Matt's.

Yes, the Seattle library system has Golden Age reprints... in fact, they have the very books being discussed in this thread, Wonder Woman Chronicles, as well as the Superman and Batman Chronicles.  Are children checking them out?  Aside from my daughter I can't say for certain.  But in all the local branch libraries I've visited they are shelved in the young adult section right next to the manga, so I think it's reasonable to speculate that at least some other kids or parents might pick them up.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 09 December 2017 at 2:07am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Which "benevolent" figures have been threatened with
excision?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-39718149
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

There are some bad deeds that cannot be erased by later, or even concurrent, good deeds. If the Nazis had donated all those gold teeth to charity, it would not have validated the Holocaust.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"Hey, we just Googled that guy nobody ever heard of until this week, and he owned  slaves!"...

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Yes, the Seattle library system has Golden Age reprints... in fact, they have
the very books being discussed in this thread, Wonder Woman Chronicles,
as well as the Superman and Batman Chronicles. Are children checking
them out? Aside from my daughter I can't say for certain. But in all the
local branch libraries I've visited they are shelved in the young adult section
right next to the manga, so I think it's reasonable to speculate that at least
some other kids or parents might pick them up.

________
Nice to see a fellow lover of the Seattle Public library Jason, we are lucky!
I've seen the same. Actually now that I think about it, I believe my own first
exposure to comics was in a small rural Oklahoma library system, they had
only 3 comics collections. Golden age collections for Batman, Superman
and Wonder Woman.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version