Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: That’s nice Kevin, but what about the FF!?!?!?!? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It would be nice to know what are his thoughts are on bringing in the Fantastic Four to the MCU.

The FF has to be done CORRECTLY!!! (As much as Marvel/Disney can)

LINK

Edit to add the Marvel/Disney statement

Edited by James Johnson on 07 December 2017 at 1:54pm
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Will Hugh Jackman follow through and appear in an Avengers movie?

Will they just recast the whole thing?

I think the best idea for the FF would probably be to introduce the characters in another film, ala Spider-Man, then spin it off.

In my wildest dreams, though, they put the FF into the backstory of the MCU, and do it set in the 1960's.

Also, Chris Evans already tweeted that he wants to do a Cap/Human Torch buddy movie where he plays both parts.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'd like to see the FF lie fallow for a few years. Maybe until I'm dead.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Steve,

A true FF movie should be a period piece.

If the Disney/Fox deal goes through, it would be nice if the following occurred:

At the end of the Infinity Gauntlet saga, have a reboot of the MCU.

Have post credits scenes that give teasers of what the New MCU would look like.

But the last teaser must somehow incorporate this page. It would perfectly set the stage for the next go round:

It would leave fans drooling for months!

Edited by James Johnson on 07 December 2017 at 2:45pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2017 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I kinda agree with JB....  the FF needs to lie low for awhile. (Not until his passing tho') I'm sure Marvel Studios will find a great way to introduce them into the MCU when Feige thinks the time is right.

Still, many here contributed to what would make a good FF film:

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Mr. Byrne - under those circumstances, I would not hope to see a Fantastic Four movie for decades to come, at least.

I am still awaiting, with bated breath, the Thing vs. Hulk sequence. Oh yes, Thor against the Hulk was very nice... but I will squeal like an excited penguin when I get my FF/Hulk movie.

It seems so strange that such a simple concept as the Fantastic Four can get SO mangled up by the studios. Iron Man, Cap, Thor - all seemed to handle the characters okay at the very least. The Hulk movie was fun and it didn't even delve into the origin story. (Recapping it under the opening credits does not count as "delving" to me.)

Of course, it's too late now. The product has been tainted with TWO prior failures... and it's almost the boy who cried "Clobberin' Time!" now.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I am still awaiting, with bated breath, the Thing vs. Hulk sequence.

••

Would that work in the movies? With the super-sized Hulk that has become the standard, poor Ben would seem awfully tiny!!

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The fact that Ben would hold his own against super-size Hulk would
make him look like even more of a badass! Sadly, they’ll probably make
the Thing 8-10 feet tall as well.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

In the last abomination of a film based on the Fantastic Four, wasn't The Thing shown to be much larger than a normal human?

Still, if Thor versus Hulk works, why not The Thing versus Hulk? They could even pay homage to the cover of "Fantastic Four" #25, where Hulk is towering over Ben.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think back to the first issue of THE INCREDIBLE HULK that I read. In the second story -- a page of which now adorns my Studio wall -- the Hulk travels to the Far East aboard a conventional jet airliner, disguising himself in a trenchcoat and fedora, and sitting in a normal seat.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That was one of the more unbelievable parts of that HULK issue. An obviously green dude is allowed on a regular jet airliner?

Granted, the final panel was funny, as I remember.

JB's right though. The MCU Hulk looks around 8 and a half feet tall. The Thing should look no more than 6 feet tall (Reed Richards is taller!). 

I should read the link to "what would make for a good FF film" link. Personally, I'd like them written as a "secret" team that nobody knows about (except for Nick Fury et al. -- and yes, I know, this is similar to what was done with Ant-Man and the Wasp). Reed and Sue Richards are publicly known figures, but Johnny Storm is lesser known, and Ben...well, Ben just hides.

And then one day they disappeared, along with Victor Von Doom. And now, in the early 21st century, they all suddenly return...

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I should've added -- I don't particularly want the X-Men introduced into the MCU. What works in comics doesn't necessarily translate to the movies. In comics, multiple super-hero teams work fine. In the movies, with the Avengers and the Defenders and (maybe someday) the FF...things might start looking too "crowded" for "civilians."

Then again I'd be happy if Alpha Flight and the People's Protectorate (ex-Soviet Super-Soldiers) suddenly appeared in the MCU. Super-teams for other countries would seem less "crowded."

(Is there a super-team in China in current Marvel comics?)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I just want them to do Wolverine’s claws right. 

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I think having the FF start off as a period piece, and have them disappear into the Negative Zone and emerge in the present would be an option wouldn't it?  (Or some other multi-dimensional zapping).  They could have a mostly self-sustaining Baxter Building, Reed's patents being used in modern technology...etc.  It explains their non-involvement in the Chitauri invasion. 

They usually assemble a creative advisory group for each movie.  As long as JB is on it, we'd be good right? 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

What works in comics doesn't necessarily translate to the movies. In comics, multiple super-hero teams work fine. In the movies, with the Avengers and the Defenders and (maybe someday) the FF... things might start looking too "crowded" for "civilians."

If THAT was the case, Marvel Studios would've failed already. With the mutant angle portrayed properly, the X-Men could certainly work in the MCU. Beige  probably has it figured out already.
-C!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I should read the link to "what would make for a good FF film" link. Personally, I'd like them written as a "secret" team that nobody knows about (except for Nick Fury et al. -- and yes, I know, this is similar to what was done with Ant-Man and the Wasp).

•••

Completely misses the point of the team.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Yeah, that would be more than a little arse about face. One of the things that made the FF different was that they had no secret identities. Of course, almost no one does now in the cinematic MCU!

I hope Marvel doesn't rush to have all the new characters appearing with the other characters. We've already got so many crammed into each movie. The X-Men really do belong in their own silo, rather than teaming up with the Avengers or the FF. A guest appearance every once in a blue moon is special, but I would like them to avoid having it as the default.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I'd like to have their appearance being perhaps a short teaser about their space flight.  They need to figure a reason for the four of them to make the flight that makes sense in the 21st century (possibly a privately-funded project looking to return to the moon).

Then I'd like to see a movie beginning with Reed and Ben's meeting in college (and Victor von Doom's accident) then the actual flight and an encounter with the Mole Man, with the teaser for that movie introducing Doctor Doom for a possible second movie.

There are just so many possibilities - Galactus, Uatu & the Silver Surfer; Namor, Attuma & an Atlantean invasion; Doctor Doom & Latveria; Annihilus, Blastaar & the Negative Zone; the Skrulls & the Kree, and so many others.

I am way more excited about the FF possibilities than the X-Men ones.

Edited by Robert Bradley on 09 December 2017 at 12:19am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I'd like to have their appearance being perhaps a short teaser about their space flight. They need to figure a reason for the four of them to make the flight that makes sense in the 21st century (possibly a privately-funded project looking to return to the moon).

•••

Reed Richards as Elon Musk?

Be careful, tho. In a superhero story it is more important to consider the HOW rather than the WHY.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Only if the "secret" status is permanent, which it wouldn't be. 

I'm trying to find a way to make the FF "fit" into the existing MCU. Given how many superheroes are already in the MCU, taking liberties strikes me as unavoidable. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Some ideas here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BsFsle6QMg

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Only if the "secret" status is permanent, which it wouldn't be.

I'm trying to find a way to make the FF "fit" into the existing MCU. Given how many superheroes are already in the MCU, taking liberties strikes me as unavoidable.

•••

Don't think like a fan. That way lies madness. Think of all the cool stuff that is necessary to the characters, but doesn't get in the way of telling the stories. Each entity is unique. As Paul Levitz used to say, "continuity" means Superman should always be from Krypton.

Otherwise you end up worrying about why the Avengers weren't involved in the first Galactus story.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

What I would like to see Marvel/Disney/FOX (and Sony) do is launch a separate PG rated CGI animated Marvel cinema universe that is more faithful (but updated) to the original comic book versions of the Marvel characters. I would kick this new Marvel cinematic animated universe off with an an animated Fantastic Four movie. IMO, CGI animation should be the way to go for all future Marvel and DC superhero movies.

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 6:23pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

"Don't think like a fan. That way lies madness. Think of all the cool stuff that is necessary to the characters, but doesn't get in the way of telling the stories. Each entity is unique."

JB, feel free to ignore this if it is either too much work or giving away too much of your work for free, but I'm curious as to what you think are the crucial FF elements that would have to be included in creating a new FF movie for the existing MCU as it stands now?

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

JB, feel free to ignore this if it is either too much work or giving away too much of your work for free, but I'm curious as to what you think are the crucial FF elements that would have to be included in creating a new FF movie for the existing MCU as it stands now?

••

Read the first dozen issues or so. Stan and Jack laid down a pretty clear blueprint, right there.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version