Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Faceless Characters Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Since I AM going too far... we never saw Johnny Olson ("The Price Is Right") or Don Pardo ("Saturday Night").

——

Both had some on-screen time. 
Back to Top profile | search

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Olson regularly appeared in 'sketches' for the 'Showcase Showdown', and usually got screen time when he was at the microphone, chatting with Bob Barker(or Gene Rayburn on 'Match Game'...and before either of those, on Jackie Gleason's variety show). 

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 04 December 2017 at 5:01pm

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Matthew Wilkie:

I can recall the maid character appearing in Tom and Jerry when watching it on TV (in the UK) and finding her black legs and voice somewhat exotic, having been brought up in decidedly white, middle-classed seventies Surrey. It was only as I grew up, I realised how problematic the character was.

I think it's only been with the last decade (or less) that the cartoons were edited for the UK. I remember reading a few issues of TV COMIC, in which the T & J strip used a white 'Maid'(who looked like the US panel cartoon character 'Hazel'.)

Tim O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Brian - please separate your comments from the post you are quoting. It all looks like your own comments.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 December 2017 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

In the original Tom and Jerry cartoons, the maid was a stereotypical 'black mammy' type character. When the cartoons were sold to TV, the maid was sometimes redrawn as white(with a stereotypical 'Oirish' brogue), or the cartoons were edited to only include shots of her legs (shades of the Mary Tyler Moore example mentioned upthread). Sometimes, her dialogue was cut out, but, most often, all traces of the character were cut out. I never saw the original maid character in any of the cartoons I watched on TV as a kid. Edited to note that everything above was typical for American showings of the cartoons. In the UK, the cartoons weren't altered til much later.

—-

The original Mammy Two Shoes versions reappeared in the 80s, as those were the versions I watched as a kid, although sometimes they showed the ones where she was redrawn as a white woman. In the 90s, they kept her in, but her dialogue was redubbed with a less stereotypical voice.

Also, her face appears in one episode. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Larry David as George Steinbrenner on Seinfeld. He was only ever seen from behind and his face was never shown. Actually Larry David only did the voice and he said they changed the actual actor that you see from behind, while he did the voice, and no one even noticed. 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

From the MARY TYLER MOORE SHOW, Phyllis' husband, Lars, was never seen.  He was talked about a lot, including the episode where he was caught cheating on her.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Eric Sofer suggested:
We never saw Metallus' face on "Space Ghost". Although one episode did seem to imply that he didn't HAVE a face... or even a head. Moltar never showed his face either.

What about Space Ghost himself, if it comes to that? Many Saturday Morning superhero shows dispensed with the secret identity aspect, possibly even Batman on SUPERFRIENDS never appeared unmasked.

There was a character on POLICE SQUAD! so tall that his head was always out of frame.

I would think Bob Newhart would have had one on one of his shows, but I don't remember if there was a consistent patient Dr. Hartley only dealt with over the phone.

I was thinking of "Epstein's Mother" from WELCOME BACK, KOTTER, it strikes me we didn't even get to hear her actual prose style. That may be the character with the least actual existence on a show, unless we count that soldier Hawkeye made up for some scam on an episode of MASH.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

'Ma Wolowitz' on THE BIG BANG THEORY.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Jack B. - Well, we can go down that road, but I was thinking more about characters whom we never see or who just don't have faces. Otherwise, I reckon we could include the Transformers, most of the masked members of the Superfriends, Secret Squirrel, etc. We saw Space Ghost's and Birdman's faces... they just had masks on them. But again... I DID say I was going too far. :)

On "Police Squad!", Ted was the character always out of screen.

I thought there was an episode of "Welcome Back Kotter" that was centered on Epstein, and we got to see his family. But forty-odd years later, an episode I saw once kinda fades...

On "M*A*S*H", we never saw the face of the soldier in "Point of View" - even though everyone else saw him, and he saw everyone.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian Miller said: Howard’s mom on BIG BANG THEORY.

Brian O'Neill said: 'Ma Wolowitz' on THE BIG BANG THEORY.

Brian and Brian… What are the chances?!?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Not sure if this one counts:

Waylon Jennings' Balladeer, the omniscient narrator, never appeared in the Dukes of Hazzard. Jennings did appear in the final season, playing himself.

So I'm not sure if the Balladeer counts as a character or not, and even if he does, if he gets ruled out for Jennings showing his face... 

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2017 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Sara, the telephone operator on The Andy
Griffith Show.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2017 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I want to call Jennings a character, just for being identified by a title other than 'Narrator'. But if we include him, then we include the narrators for the Jay Ward cartoons(William Conrad and Edward Everett Horton), or William Dozier(producer/narrator of BATMAN). Dozier identified the narrator in newspaper interviews as 'Desmond Doomsday'.

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Marc's mention of Sara from Andy Griffith reminded me of Juanita, the girl Barney would call up frequently, who worked at the diner. I don't recall ever hearing nor seeing her.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version