Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2017 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

FYI -
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Protecting the right of every person to have unfettered access to information from all sources is critical to a fully functioning democracy.

The FCC abandoning this role to the highest bidder who will answer to no one is the worst possible outcome, and the general public won't know what's happening until they start to see their access to sites and services restricted by fees and mysteriously slowing down or site failures.

"83 percent of Americans - including 3 out of 4 Republicans - opposed the plan."

Upset about this? Let your Congressperson know.

Call them. Email them. Let them know at future town halls.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

We have ONE DAY to fight the repeal of #NetNeutrality! There's a SUPER easy way to do this - it literally takes less than a minute.

1. Go to gofccyourself.com
2. Click on the 17-108 link (Restoring Internet Freedom)
2. Click on "+Express" (left-hand side)
3. Be sure to hit "ENTER" (or return key) on your keyboard after you put in your name, so it registers. (They make it a tad tricky there.)
4. In the comment section write something like, "I strongly support net neutrality backed by Title 2 oversight of ISPs."
5. Click to Review, then Submit, done. - Make sure you hit submit at the end!

Copy & paste to repost this rather than ‘Share’-ing, as it will be seen by more people. 

HAVE YOU DONE THIS YET?!
ECFS
FCC.GOV

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2017 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Another thing -

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Russ
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

As expected the FCC voted against net neutrality 3-2

Not exactly a done deal, with various groups like the ACLU taking action, as well as the Gov. of Washington.  I believe Gov. Cuomo in NY is planning action as well.  Congress, has to vote on this too, but, this current group has proved what a joke they are.

Depending on how badly Congress wants to keep their seats, they'll vote what we want, the majority, the people and not for corporate benefits.  If not, I'm sure they'll be out during the next election. Actually regardless of how they vote, they should be out.

Congress and this entire administration.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Did you all enjoy Ajit Pai's "humorous" video? Especially of him doing the Harlem Shuffle while dancing right next to Martina Markota, a renowned "Pizzagate" conspiracy theorist.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

He's an awful human.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I thought that wretched video did justice to Mr. Pai.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Here's a simple, easy to understand issue I had where Net Neutrality was being violated:

There was a time where Verizon FIOS was crippling traffic to/from Netflix, which forced streams to use a lower resolution to keep up. I knew this to be true, because I switched to using a VPN to my office network, and then the streams were in full HD. I still relied on the Internet connection coming out of my house, but to Verizon it was no longer seen as Netflix traffic since it was flowing via the office network first (which actually should have been a factor in slowing down speeds itself, but instead it was actually faster).

They stopped that practice, but unless Congress steps in, there will be nothing to stop them from trying to pull this again.

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

FWIW, I'm VERY outraged at the FCC over the net neutrality reversal, but this is a good read to help lend some perspective to the situation:

Link:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/everybody-calm-down-about-net-n eutrality-1513124905

The article essentially points out how
the FCC plan would restore power to police the internet to the Federal Trade Commission, which previously protected internet users from unfair, deceptive and anticompetitive practices for the two decades before the FCC’s 2015 rule, which removed its jurisdiction.

The article also mentions that t
he Obama administration called for the FTC to be the sole federal privacy enforcement agency as part of its much-vaunted 2012 Privacy Bill of Rights, which helps ease some of my own anxiety about the whole net neutrality "repeal."

[Edited to fix link and add small synopsis]

Edited by John Bodin on 16 December 2017 at 12:04am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

FYI, that link requires a subscription to the WSJ to read in full.How about a 'Reader's Digest' synopsis?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I see both sides of this one.  On the one hand, there are ways that the repeal of net neutrality could negatively effect me.  For example, I get internet from a cable provider, but TV through Sling.  They could, theoretically, throttle Sling and make the service worse for me to incentive me getting television service through them instead.  The fact that internet service is often a monopoly, or close to it, makes the idea of the government intervening attractive.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea of the internet being regulated by a government bureaucracy like the FCC.  We've already seen this year that Trump has threatened to politicize the FCC to try to control media content.  While he couldn't actually do it (yet) there are no guarantees.  And as we just saw with the whole net neutrality debate, the appointed bureaucrats at the FCC are not answerable to us in any way shape or form, and so we have no recourse should they decide to regulate the internet in a way that we don't like.  The internet has grown into what it has, and made all the improvements it has, without government regulatory intervention (net neutrality is only a couple years old), and so its not outside the realm of reason that it continue to improve and overcome various issues without the FCCs intervention.

So its a tricky issue.  I think what I would rather see is a bill be passed by our elected representatives to break up the cable and internet monopolies and increase competition, then let the market take care of this itself.  If Netflix is very popular, and a company decides to throttle Netflix, as long as I have another company (or more) to choose from, its not a problem, and the throttling company will either have to stop throttling or risk going out of business. 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version