Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Everything Wrong With... Everything Wrong With Videos Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

EWW EWW Sherlock Holmes.

The above link is to one of a number of videos by a fellow who has made a series pointing out the many varied mistakes and problems with the Cinema Sins YouTube series, "Everything Wrong With...". It is enlightening, to say the least.

I have noticed a few other videos from other people on YouTube that also take CS to task for the EWW series. At first, I thought these were videos simply by others who were perhaps envious of the success of CS, but watching the videos I realized how correct they are in their assessment of how wrongly CS does things.

I still check out the EWW videos, but going over the other videos about EWW and CS has definitely influenced my opinion and how I view the actual EWW videos.

I recommend anyone interested check out not only the video I linked to above,  but also other videos on that channel that skewer EWW videos for other movies, as well. They are very interesting and informative. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 20 November 2017 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I dunno. I have faulted CinemaSins for finding faults that absolutely do not exist, but these guys lose credibility when they suggest Downey's accent is "flawless". It's barely even English!
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've never seen Sherlock Holmes, but I watched the video on Age of Ultron, and it makes many good points. These comedy critique videos seem to not know a real mistake, and spend a lot of time complaining about things that are clearly not mistakes. I love blooper reels and movie mistakes, and good criticism is fine. But EWW is just plain wrong too many times.  

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I agree, Steven. I was amazed at just how many mistakes the EWW videos make, and I agree with the maker of the EWWEWW videos that saying it's just for the sake of comedy doesn't cut it. Jeremy and his pal at EWW are entertaining, but they clearly are also trying to make valid criticisms, and they are wrong in pointing out some "mistakes" or "sins" so much that  it is crazy.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 22 November 2017 at 10:34pm

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The EWW videos make lots of good points, more often than not... I just can't stand the smug narrator.

I prefer the Honest Trailers, myself.  Short & sweet.  Funnier narrator.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Shaun, I do enjoy EWW (and Honest Trailers, too), but the EWWEWW videos are enlightening in exposing just how much is actually wrong with EWW itself.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2017 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This generation grew up with Crow T. Robot and Cartman making fun of everything thrown at them. Being a smartass isn't simply a badge of honor; It's a free pass to speak and behave as irresponsibly as you please. "What? It was a joke. No one got hurt. Lighten up. Sure what I said was wrong, thoughtless, and completely stupid, but you can't hold me to any of it. I said it ironically so YOU'RE the stupid one now..."

I know a young man whose dream it is to have a YouTube Channel that tens of thousands will follow as avidly as he follows his favorites, and he's not just memorizing all the necessary reactionary snark it will take to succeed at his goal; He's internalizing it. He's living it. 

Because that's what this world's been needing. One more smartass.

Edited by Brian Hague on 23 November 2017 at 1:53am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2017 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I found the Cabin in the Woods EWWEWW video to be good  (how clunky is EWWEWW?). The most egregious type of 'mistake' the EWW videos commonly make seems to be the ones that present a clip out of context in order to make it look wrong, when in fact it's just fine if you see the two minutes leading up to it -- but with The Cabin in the Woods they seem to have had a fundamental misunderstanding of the entire movie, just taking it at surface value, as if the satirical level went over the top of their head and it is just a plain vanilla horror film. 

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2017 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And it's not like Cabin in the Woods is subtle with it!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version