Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Harassment - is isolation the only answer? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In every direction, it seems that harassment has suddenly become the issue of the moment. I wonder what can be done about it at this late date.

Let's get something right from the start. I do not believe in harassing anyone - women, different skin color, different beliefs, different religion - whatever. No ifs, ands, or buts.

But there are some issues I see about it that are hard to address.

ITEM: What do we do about things that happen that aren't intended to be harassment, but are taken that way? Dwayne Johnson created (or endorsed) the Rock test - treat any woman the way you'd treat the Rock. Okay... but I would pat him on the shoulder in passing in friendship, or tell him that he's wearing a sharp outfit. I'd tell him he did a good job on something he did professionally. But even those are seen as harassment these days.

ITEM: What is to be done about things that were done years ago? A decade back, I know I said things that could be considered insulting - right down to calling a counter girl at McDonald's honey or sweetie, or some other (unwanted?) familiar phrase. Yes, I'm guilty of harassment - I admit it freely. But it was never intended to be offensive or insulting - so what can I do now, ten years (or more) later to do penance for it? And I'm a nobody; I'm just a piece of paper blowing down the street. What about Al Franken, for example? Or any of those accused? It was reprehensible, and admission and apology are vital - but it seems that those are not the end point, but only the beginning.

ITEM: Humor is done. Comedy is done. How much of what comics do isn't, in some way, insulting? Or harassing? How many classic comedians based their acts on insult humor? That's pretty harassing. Shucks, Al Franken (again) took a picture - you've all seen it - that was supposed to be funny. At one time it would have been. Now, it's insulting and harassing and might be the basis of removing him from Congress. For a joke.

Isolation would solve this. If men never interacted with women, there would never be any possibility of harassment. Of course, this is impossible. If it's a matter of degree... there's no way to tell where the line is. Some women would not find being hugged harassing. Others would be insulted if a door were held open for them.

Even a couple on a first date is a situation rife with possibilities of harassment. Is a first kiss harassing? Is holding hands harassing? How can one tell?

This has become a huge problem that needs to be addressed... but can it be? Or is it something that has to be simply accepted and endured?

What do you guys think? CAN this be fixed?
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Not isolation. What's key is power. You can't harass one more powerful.

QUOTE:
In 2017, 105 (78D, 27R) women hold seats in the United States Congress, comprising 19.6% of the 535 members; 21 women (21%) serve in the United States Senate, and 84 women (19.3%) serve in the United States House of Representatives. Five women delegates (3D, 2R) also represent American Samoa, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands in the United States House of Representatives. Source: http://www.cawp.rutgers.edu/women-us-congress-2017

That's ridiculous.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:
 Not isolation. What's key is power.

Michael Penn is exactly right. 

If women felt like they were on equal ground, if they felt empowered to speak up in uncomfortable situations, then we'd have a better idea where the boundaries are and how not to cross them.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 17 November 2017 at 1:29pm

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2017 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That seems reasonable, and women do need a process where they can report such violations without fear of repercussions or penalty. As much as we would wish that men would naturally behave better, some have to have the threat of penalty hanging over them to prevent them from misbehaving.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version