•••

Is this the one where he's the hero?

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That link will take you to "page not found". Here's the correct link:

LINK

I mean this with love - NO offence to anyone - but can we please, please work at making links live? It's really quick to do. Time and again, the links are either not live or the dreaded "page not found". 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 22 November 2017 at 6:06pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I mean this with love - NO offence to anyone - but can we please, please work at making links live? It's really quick to do. Time and again, the links are either not live or the dreaded "page not found".

For some reasons I have difficulty posting working links on this forum. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, so I'd appreciate any help and/or suggestions on how to make these links work.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Is this the one where he's the hero?

Yep, but he also had a lot to say about Marvel and the rest of the current comic book industry. He talked about current sales,Hydra Agent/Nazi Captain America,the Wonder Woman film,and a lot of other stuff.

Here is the link to the full interview.

https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/11/19/interview-l egendary-marvel-comics-editor-in-chief-jim-shooter-on-the-cu rrent-state-of-marvel-creator-incentives-and-more/ &nbs p;         &nbs p;

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2017 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Just read the Jim Shooter interview. It’s really funny if you read it in the voice of Trump.

Read his answer about Bernie Wrightson and the Frankenstein comic in that voice - oh my word do they use the exact same speech patterns.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2017 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Rick, just click the hyperlink button at the bottom right of the buttons above your post and insert the link there. 

https://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/11/19/interview-l egendary-marvel-comics-editor-in-chief-jim-shooter-on-the-cu rrent-state-of-marvel-creator-incentives-and-more/

Jim Shooter definitely paints himself as the hero although all the stuff he says about the problems with current Marvel echo what many of us have said here. The decompressed comics where it takes six issues of a current Marvel comic to equal what six pages of a Jack Kirby comic did. The incentive covers to boost flagging sales. Some of his claims I find kind of dubious. Do Marvel creators really own 20 percent of their work for hire creations because of Shooter? If you create a title, you get 1 percent of that title for eternity?

Edited by Shane Matlock on 23 November 2017 at 12:14am

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2017 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think what Shooter's saying comes down to--Can the reader trust the publisher?

When I trusted DC and Marvel to give me books I enjoyed--indeed a whole universe to jump into--I bought their whole line-ups.

For decades now, I haven't trusted editorial, so I only follow the talent.  I trust John Byrne to give me a good story, so I buy all his stuff.  I trust Neal Adams to give me beautiful pictures, so I buy all his stuff (even knowing the story may not be there)--it's worth it.  I trust Kurt Busiek, Brent Anderson, and Alex Ross to give me a great issue of ASTRO CITY every time (my gosh--what a run!).  Depending on the talent, the last few years, I've been buying 5 or 10 Marvels and DCs every month--because I trusted the talent on those books.

Since Hydra Cap, I can't trust Marvel at all.  So, I dropped all their books--even the ones unrelated to Cap.  (But, really, with all the crossover "events" they force down our throats, all of their books are too related.)

Even though DC lost my trust with way too many reboots, I'm open to buying them--but only because of the talent I like.  If Starlin or Adams do anything, I will buy it.

If both companies followed Shooter's basic guidelines, I'd be back.  I'd be back and a lot of other people would be back.  And those simple guidelines of engendering trust would also be the way to bring in new readers too.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 23 November 2017 at 9:26am

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2017 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Axel Alonso's last couple years as EIC mirrors Shooter's, in the sense that they both committed Marvel to an entire line of books that fans didn't want to read. Though Shooter was not so bold or desperate as to strong-arm retailers into buying New Universe books, as Alonso tried to do through the Legacy lenticular cover mess. Shooter's editors never tried to shame readers into buying Star Brand. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

New Marvel Editor-In-Chief C.B. Cebulski used Japanese pseudonym:

LINK.

This is an interesting situation to ponder. Writers and artists have used pseudonyms in the past, inside and outside of comics, and for various reasons. Sometimes a male writer has used a female name, and vice-versa. Does using the name seemingly of someone from another culture make it worse, or somehow more disingenuous? I'm not quite sure what to think.

Apparently, then-editor Mike Marts outright lied about the use of the "Akira Yoshida" by
C.B. Cebulski as a pseudonym back in 2005.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"Akira Yoshida"'s history: LINK.

Crazy stuff.

Edited to add:

The more I think about it, the more I do think it's wrong to use a name for a pseudonym that is an obvious attempt to appropriate another culture. Don't get me wrong, I think some accusations of cultural appropriation can go too far, such as criticizing a white performer for simply playing the blues, but for someone to pretend to actually be a person of another culture in such a disingenuous manner is pretty despicable.

Marvel already promoted the writer "Akira Yoshida" as one of their "Young Guns," so it's kind of repellent to think the could have held him up as an example of being progressive and hiring diversity when he was not actually the ethnicity he claimed he to be.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 29 November 2017 at 11:31am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

When I think about Marvel, I just get so depressed. Isn't it bad enough that we have to live in Trump's America?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

After reading Matt's explanation, I DO find using a false identity of someone from another culture to be disingenuous. Bad example of Marvel showing diversity in their talent pool.

Marvel's new Editor-In-Chief seems to be setting the 'bar' low.

-C!

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version