Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Happy 90th, Steve Ditko Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Steve Ditko is 90 today.

He's one person, and I respect his privacy, who I'd love to see interviewed today. There's a million questions I'd ask him about Dr. Strange, Dormammu, Eternity, his art, etc.

In 2007, the BBC aired IN SEARCH OF STEVE DITKO (hosted by Jonathan Ross). Mr. Ditko declined to be interviewed or even appear on camera, but the documentary did cover his work.

I can't honestly say I am familiar with all of his work, I've not read the likes of SHADE. But I really enjoyed how absorbing his work on DR STRANGE and the like was. 

Any particular views on Mr. Ditko, anyone?
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Steve Ditko is an inventive comic book master. Like most any innovative artist with such a distinctive style, there are those that don't care for his work, and those who adore it.

I love his earlier art on both Spider-Man and definitely Doctor Strange. The art he did on many horror and mystery comics are awesome,  too.

Happy birthday to Steve Ditko. I hope he has many more to come. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thinking about it, amother run he did that doesn't seem to get as much attention as some of his other work is his early Incredible Hulk issues. I was too young to read them as originally published,  but I still discovered them as a child in the Fireside reprint trade paperback collections in the 1970s.

Honestly,  mulling it over, while I love the character of Spider-Man,  my favorite Ditko work at Marvel is Doctor Strange,  with the Incredible Hulk comics he did in second. For me, there was something really fun in how he approached those titles. With Hulk, it was how he drew The Leader and those robots who fought the Hulk, and with Doctor Strange it was nearly everything he did with the character and villains, and if course the other dimensions, that I found fascinating. 

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Like most any innovative artist with such a distinctive style, there are those that don't care for his work, and those who adore it.

I admit that I am in the former group. As much as I respect his talent and longevity, his art just has never done much for me, at least on superhero stories. He's much more effective as a horror artist. An exception would be the Creeper, which blended elements of both genres.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Steve Ditko is the most interesting comic artist I've
ever been aware of. I'm a huge fan and devour anything
by him I can find.

He's still publishing multiple comics per year with
Robin Snyder. Find them and buy them.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Being a fan of Steve Ditko the artist can be deeply frustrating, because the powerfully inventive stylist with the uncanny eye for layouts and chiaroscuro pretty much hung it up by 1975.  Being a fan of Ditko in a larger sense - the libertarian visual essayist of comics, maybe? - is still satisfying since he still delivers the stuff on the regular.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I'm just buying SHADE: THE CHANGING MAN for the first time (whatever I can find in the dollar box, so getting them out of order).  So inventive!  And he was still at the height of his drawing powers.  Any other company would make a big deal about having SHADE, THE CREEPER, THE QUESTION, BLUE BEETLE, CAPTAIN ATOM, HAWK & DOVE, his co-creations of STARMAN and STALKER in their stable--you could start a new company (or imprint) just on his stuff!  (Dynamite would give each character four titles!)  CREEPER and BLUE BEETLE are super-stars that never really got their chance.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 03 November 2017 at 8:38am

Greg Nyman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ditko Speaks!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 4:09am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Interesting link, thank you for sharing it.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Eric J. - did you know that Mr. Ditko reprised his Creeper strip in World's Finest Comics when it was a dollar sized book? That was pretty fun.

Unfortunately, DC decided to make the Creeper actually insane instead of just being maniacal in his hero form. They also made him multiple personality, so that Jack Ryder and the Creeper had two different "selves". A huge mistake, in my opinion, but hacking characters seemed to be what DC excelled at in that era.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

A very happy birthday to Mr. Ditko, one of the true greats.

I think my first exposure to his work would have been in the Origins of Marvel Comics TPB. I was already a Spider-Man fan; seeing him drawn by Ditko was a revelation.

And then I read the origin story of Doctor Strange. With all due respect to every other artist who has ever drawn the Sorcerer Supreme--and many, including our host, have drawn him beautifully--only the Ditko original has ever really looked right to me. The old Lee/Ditko Doctor Strange stories are still my favorite work ever done with the character--just the perfect balance of artist, dialogue, and subject matter.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Like most any innovative artist with such a distinctive style, there are those
that don't care for his work, and those who adore it.

The latter is the only correct response.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version