Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: X-Men: The Animated Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Bit of trivia: one of Paul Dini's earliest cartoon writings was for the 1982 INCREDIBLE HULK cartoon. "Punks on Wheels," which introduced the Leader. 

I would've liked the HULK cartoon better if Bruce Banner's clothes and shoes hadn't magically reappeared, good as new, every time he stopped being the Hulk.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It was a special type of gamma radiation, that reassembled clothes, Adam.

There was much discussion about that HULK series in this topic:

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Overall I liked XMEN:TAS with the exception of Morph. He is without a doubt the most blatant sacrificial cannon fodder character ever created for a cartoon.  You could tell it a mile away -- previously unknown X-man and they made him extra annoying to boot.  

You know, I would have been ok with Thunderbird.

If you really want a good chuckle, check out the notes handed back and forth between the X-MEN:TAS writers and the BS&P folks:

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 02 November 2017 at 6:11pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Morph wasn't entirely made up for the cartoon. Visually and conceptually, he does have ties to the Changeling, the shape-changing villain who was later established to have filled in for Professor X during the time of his "death."

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Haven't seen this series in a quarter century, but remember liking it very much albeit for different reasons than I enjoyed BTAS.  Animation aside, I thought it played fair with the varied audiences who watched it.  It was similar in tone to the current X-Men series while attempting to respect what came before.  Your milage may vary on that last point, but I felt the love from the creators because the subjects and storylines they tackled were thoughtfully presented despite the subpar animation. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

...but I felt the love from the creators because the subjects and storylines they tackled were thoughtfully presented despite the subpar animation. 

That's a good point.

It also makes me think about how important visuals are. I have often said that a bad comic story (e.g. Miller's ALL-STAR BATMAN #1) can be saved by good art; conversely. no matter how well-written a plot is, if the art isn't to my liking, I can't enjoy it as much.

Perhaps some episodes of classic Batman cartoons did have good plots, but I just remember the constant stock footage and the animation not being particularly good. I liked the SUPERBOY cartoon (60s?) for the visuals, but some of the plots really didn't appeal to me.

For 1982, I enjoyed both the visuals of the HULK cartoon and the storylines.

Sometimes, and I know it's subjective, one gets both: great animation and storylines (BATMAN: TAS); other times, there's good animation, but underwhelming stories (SUPERBOY); and at other times, there are good plots (X-MEN: TAS), but the animation isn't to my liking.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks for the link Robbie.

Some responses:

"Bob Holt as The Hulk was also amazing (or incredible). His roars are 
heard in other Marvel shows including Dungeons and Dragons."

True. Impressive Hulk roars. Wish they could somehow be used in Marvel movies with the Hulk, but that's too much to ask for.

"Banner tells Dr. Carlston to hold the countdown, and the order is ignored. Banner reaches Rick, and is about to explain the situation and haul him back to the base when an air raid siren goes off, signaling that the bomb is about to be detonated. The horrified Banner realizes that the countdown has not been stopped, and makes the only move he can by throwing Rick into the ditch. This also tips him off to the fact that Dr. Carlston deliberately set the bomb off while he was out there on the field, which leads to his demanding to be let out of his hospital room, triggering his very first transformation (since the classic anger-trigger was being used in the show, they needed a reason for Banner to get angry while in the hospital).

So, an error from the original story is corrected, Banner becomes a smarter and more proactive character, and the nighttime transformation trigger from the original story is neatly sidestepped.

Brilliant bit of writing!"

YES. ABSOLUTELY. Heretical to say, I know, but this improves on the Lee and Kirby original. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Oh, and:

"It was a special type of gamma radiation, that reassembled clothes, Adam."

Ha ha. Clever. Y'know, I'm willing to accept a lot of "just go with me here..." in superhero stories, but everyone has their limits!

(Like gamma radiation that turns you into a green mutate isn't special enough.)

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Seeing that Changeling reference stirs up once again the annoyance I've felt over the years at people who insist Xavier "faked his death." He didn't. There was no way anyone could have known the Changeling would be killed while posing as Xavier.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Ha ha. Clever. Y'know, I'm willing to accept a lot of "just go with me here..." in superhero stories, but everyone has their limits!

Late in the XMEN:TAS run the writers were under increasing pressure from BS&P to 'diversify' mutants (whatever that actually means) so they included a disabled mutant whose gift was to upgrade their wheelchair into tanks and other vehicles.   I guess it's no more or less believable than brain damage causing you to uncontrollably shoot force beams from your eyes but at the time I thought it was pushing my limits.

Incidentally, I've always wondered if the Marvel comics character Overdrive was meant to be a piss-take on that X-MEN:TAS character.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Morph wasn't entirely made up for the cartoon. Visually and conceptually, he does have ties to the Changeling, the shape-changing villain who was later established to have filled in for Professor X during the time of his "death."

Wow, right down to that errant lock of hair -- I never thought about how Morph was basically Changeling.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

...so they included a disabled mutant whose gift was to upgrade their wheelchair into tanks and other vehicles.  

To me, that doesn't sound like a mutant power, it sounds like great engineering skills. Obviously this person was a relation to Tony Stark! 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Rob O.: "...brain damage causing you to uncontrollably shoot force beams from your eyes"
Rob, just to clarify (and not disagree): Scott Summers' mutant ability is to shoot force blasts from his eyes. The brain damage is that he couldn't control it - or so I inferred from a lot of stories.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2017 at 4:16am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

On a side note, "Rogue" has been my local MLA for three
consecutive terms now!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version