Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: Shazam - Spoilers begin pg. 8 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Apparently, I'd lumped that in with many of DC's other wanton acts of brutality against its characters, so many of which were perpetuated by Johns. Marvin's death and Wendy being crippled by Wonderdog took place in Teen Titans #64 by Sean McKeever as it turns out.

I guess I should have gone with the example of Johns having Black Adam ram Kobra's heart through his back. Or that time he had Superboy-Prime punch Pantha's head off. Or the villains in Infinite Crisis drop Chemo on the city of Bludhaven. Or Bizarro pummel the Human Bomb "until the pretty lights went out." Or Deathstroke run through Phantom Lady after she'd been mauled by the Cheetah? Or Sinestro kill the Black Condor? I guess I could have mentioned when Superboy-Prime flash-fried everyone in a fight with his heat vision because he couldn't tell who was who or on which side they were fighting. Or when Johns had Superboy-Prime beat the original Superman from 1938 to death with his bare fists. Blow a hole through Baby Wildebeest? Rip Bushido in half? Freeze Red Star to death? Or that bit where Black Adam blinded the Psycho-Pirate with his fingers and then shoved his mask through his skull, causing his head to explode? How about when Black Adam crushed the face of Adrianna Tomaz's kidnapper? Talked loyal follower Atom Smasher into stomping on the head of a dictator? Destroyed the entire country of Bialya? Tore Terra Man in two? Snapped Sobek's jaws apart? Spent an entire night pushing his fingers into the brain of a demon to kill it slowly? (Again, some of those later ones were from 52, with three other writers, so maybe it wasn't all Geoff. Maybe. Gosh, d'ya think some of it might have been?) 

Yup. Definitely picked the wrong example. Shame, because there are so-o-o-o many others I could have gone with...

Edited by Brian Hague on 21 March 2019 at 5:55pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Johns is one of those fans turned pro who thinks that his bad fan ideas are "cool" and therefore he interjects them into the comics that he writes for DC and Marvel instead of leaving them at the door.

Sometimes. But I've enjoyed a lot of what he's written. And I admit I haven't read his entire output. I've heard that his AQUAMAN run is stellar, but I haven't read it. 

Recent Johns writing makes me think he really regrets having contributed to making DC comics "darker" to any extent. (Minor note: he opposed the New 52 idea but he was overruled.)
Back to Top profile | search

Patrick Mallon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2019 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Seen at my local Barnes & Noble last weekend:

Someone knows what they are doing!!!

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2019 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hearing good things from those who have seen it already.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Jamrozik
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2019 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I saw it last night and thought it was OK-to-good. I had the same observations as Kevin about the powers, tone, and Sivana. The audience seemed to enjoy the film and had a much bigger reaction to the scene before the credits than the one mid-credits.

Having previously read the new Shazam #1 helped me understand some of the changes since the Jerry Ordway graphic novel in the 90s. After reading the new #1 again this morning, the comic reads as a continuation of the movie. So your reaction to the trailers and the current series should tell you if you will like the movie.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2019 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This one is high on the list of 2019 releases that my two youngest want to see.  And as someone whose earliest TV memory is of watching the '70s "Shazam!" Saturday morning TV show on a dinky black & white television, sometime around 1975, I'm very much looking forward to (finally!) seeing a big-screen version of one of my favorite childhood superheroes.

There will be nitpicks, I'm sure, but I have a good feeling I'll be grinning ear-to-ear.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2019 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Reviewed from two viewpoints.

As a generic superhero movie:

This is a fun superhero movie. I expect it to do well with general audiences. It's a complete 180 from the grimdark MAN OF STEEL and BATMAN VS SUPERMAN. It's funny and celebratory of the superhero genre. It very much reminded me of 80s kids' adventure movies, in a good way. BIG being the obvious one, but also shades of GOONIES, GHOSTBUSTERS, and GREMLINS. DC has finally figured out the right tone to set for their superhero movies.

As a Captain Marvel movie:

Your mileage may vary, depending on how much you liked Geoff Johns' new 52 reboot of "Shazam". It's pretty much a direct adaptation of his new 52 origin, with Sivana serving in a combined role of both his and Black Adam's roles in that story. Billy is less of a punk than he was in the comics, but still troubled. Like in the comic, he acts like a teenaged idiot once he gets his powers, to the point where you wonder why the Wizard chose him in the first place. In the comics, Billy convinces the Wizard that the kind of worthy person he's searching for doesn't exist and the Wizard decides to choose Billy based on his potential. They try to go for something similar in the movie, but it's not communicated well. They do come up with a reason why Billy was chosen, which is kind of perfect for an 80's family movie, but kind of "eh" if you are a fan of the character.

More spoilerly comments once the movie goes into wide release.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 24 March 2019 at 1:35pm

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2019 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

When I saw the first trailer I did not want to see it,
cause normally I do not care for comedy in my super
hero movies.

But much like Deadpool, I realized that if I don't
have a lot invested in the character, I can enjoy the
movie. I now want to see it and put it on a similar
level as Deadpool.

As a kid I really liked the costume and powers similar
to Superman. I think I actually got to the point I
liked him more than Superman. So I do care about the
character. But a kid trapped in adult body does seem
to bring along some "fun" into the origin.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing it now.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 April 2019 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

But a kid trapped in adult body does seem to bring along some "fun" into the origin.

•••

Just ignores the original intent.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2019 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A kid in adult body also seems to cast aside the "Wisdom of Solomon". A teenager doing typical teenager things doesn't come across as very wise. Solomon is the first letter in SHAZAM!

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 04 April 2019 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

But, really, how "wise" WAS Solomon?

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2019 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Just bought my ticket and am heading out to see it!

Edited by Eric Smearman on 04 April 2019 at 9:35pm

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2019 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Saw it last night. It was definitely a kid's movie so I was not the target audience. If you have 10-15 year old kids, they might love it.

Drew Hart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2019 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

This was one where the first trailer I saw ended up being pretty much how I felt about the actual movie after seeing it: I really enjoyed it and my (12yo) son loved it.

Some good action, characters you want to root for, subtle and not so subtle pop culture references here or there (Philadelphia and Santa Claus aren't really made for each other and a nice "Big" reference) as well as a lot of laughs.

Definitely recommended if you have kids, probably not if you want something really faithful to the Fawcett era comics (of which I am only slightly familiar)

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2019 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I don't mind the general approach.  If they're going to differentiate SHAZAM! from the 100+ superhero films of the last 30-odd years (let alone most of the previously dour DC entries), this looks like the way to do it.

Might try to make a showing this Saturday or Sunday... my two youngest have been eager to see this one since the first trailer.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2019 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Saw it. I had fun!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2019 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

How wise was Solomon? He's renowned in the Bible for being clever about all kinds of matters (e.g., the two mothers with one baby). On the other hand, he DID have 700 wives... :)

I've not seen this yet, but I plan to. Good heavens, if it's a DC movie that's fun, that's probably a first over the past couple decades. I'll surely give it a a shot.

N.B. - Might it be time to add "SPOILERS" to the subject of this forum?

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 05 April 2019 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Since the film is now in theaters, we’ll open this up to 

SPOLIERS

You have been warned!

Glenn Brenner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2019 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I had a lot of fun watching it and so did the kids. 

Really loved the ending when Billy turns his foster siblings into the Marvel family to fight the Seven Deadly Sins. Definitely looking forward to a sequel. 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2019 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I had a blast!  The real Captain Marvel movie is by far better than the other one.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2019 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I will never forgive this movie for not getting me a Jerry Ordway Power of Shazam Omnibus.  How dare it.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2019 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I saw it yesterday...it was good (I haven't seen AQUAMAN, so I can't compare it to that), but of the DCEU movies I've seen, it's the one I've enjoyed the most.

Does that sound like damning with faint praise?

I thought they did a decent job of making Canada look like Philadelphia (if you're a local, you'll know where they took liberties (hah, see what I did there?). Nit-picking, They didn't get the logos right for the SEPTA (South
Eastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority, FYI) train or the Philly PD uniforms or squad cars.

Bigger issue - they should have kept Billy as an orphan. Because that's a problem from Day 1. Even if the mom had changed her name to her maiden name, the police or social services wouldn't have gone to the house or
apartment where Billy lived to look for her? So Billy spends a decade searching for her and finds out that she's a selfish, unloving child herself. Yes, that allows him to see that the fosters that took him in are now his
real family, but I don't think that was necessary for the narrative. (Disclosure, my wife and I adopted our son. He was given up at birth by his biological mother and was placed with a foster family. We got him when he was
5 months old. He is now a teenager and we are in the process of searching for the woman who completed our family, because our son needs to know his heritage. We know that it won't diminish his love for us or ours for him.
We know that the decision she made to give him up was probably the toughest, most painful choice a person can make in her life. I get that. But she didn't just walk the fuck away from him.)

That said, I did like the "Chilladelphia" festival (yeah, I can see that happening). Sivana knocking the head off of the William Penn statue on top of City Hall...Billy/Shazam doing the lightning tricks on the Art Museum
steps to the theme from ROCKY (that was from the 1 day they filmed here, apparently)...the Geno's steaks bag in the squad car (although, if you're a local, you know that Pat's and Geno's are either for tourists or late-night
cheesesteak runs...)

On the whole, I think I liked Marvel's CAPTAIN MARVEL better than this, your mileage may vary.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2019 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Not great but fun. Fun is a good thing in the DC universe. Sad no mention of Captain Marvel by name or the Marvel Family characters but oh well. I was rooting for this more than Marvel's Captain Marvel movie. Revisiting how DC (National) treated Fawcett and the characters made me feel a bit melancholy. I agree with the idea that it would have been fun to see Billy become Captain Marvel more than feel trapped inside an adult's body but us old timers need to recall that Big is probably something a large part of the movie going audience never saw or heard of, so the appeal of the kid trapped in the adult's body was probably an easy lay up for DC, also knowing only the older comic fans even know of the character in the first place. Points for making a "Marvel movie" more fun than recent Marvel movies too.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2019 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I saw it and liked it. It wasn't great, but there was a lot of fun and charm in it.I'm glad they didn't make Black Adam the villain in this one. That would have seen too Marvel-like by having the hero in their origin story go up against their evil counterpart.

Edited by Greg McPhee on 09 April 2019 at 5:56am

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2019 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Yeah, but Sivana in this film kind of is the evil counterpart to Shazam, so....

Heck, the movie even opens with a fake-out of sorts, where it appears to those knowledgeable of Captain Marvel's comic book origin that the boy first show in the car with his family will be Billy Batson. It reminded me of a similar fake-out in 1989's BATMAN, with the family of tourists that were mugged echoing what happened to Bruce Wayne and his parents. 

I did enjoy it overall, but I was left wondering how Black Adam can be done when Sivana's new origin is that he was chosen as a possible recipient of the wizard's powers. 

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version