Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Shazam - Spoilers begin pg. 8 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Thinking Captain Marvel was Shazam was akin to thinking the Human Torch was called "Flame On!"

Which isn't to say there weren't kids who thought that...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2018 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Probably even more so if the Human Torch had, since the 1970's, starred in cartoons, live-action series, comics, & children's books, as well as sold as individual action figures, that were all titled "Flame On!"
Back to Top profile | search

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2018 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I believe the reasoning of the name change because of confusion is just blowing smoke. Once you read the comic or actually watch the opening minutes of the tv show, it's clear that the name is "Captain Marvel" and Shazam is the word he says (as well as what Gomer Pyle says). And, no one seems to be concerned about those same clueless individuals wondering why he'd name himself after a music app. Since the people who thought the name was Shazam are obviously not the ones enticed to picking up the comic or watching the show, changing the name to Shazam to accommodate them makes no sense. If anything, that would indicate they have a problem with the name being Shazam as it didn't induce them to pick up the product and quickly learn differently.

The problem is not so much Marvel has a trademark on "Captain Marvel" but simply the Marvel trademark itself. They successfully got the UK Marvelman changed to Miracle Man when printed in the US. A superhero with the word "Marvel" in their name is going to be associated with the Marvel comics company by the general public which barely knows there is a difference between DC and Marvel and which characters beyond the top few are at which company. With the movies that Marvel brand-name and trademark has gotten all the stronger. Between that and Marvel being owned by The Mouse, gone are the days DC could comfortably get by with simply having the title be "Shazam" and the character inside the pages be "Captain Marvel" though technically legal.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2018 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm with Ed on this one. It takes zero effort once you're watching a "Shazam" TV show or reading a "Shazam" comic to realize the main character's name is not Shazam. Only those lacking any interest in watching or reading would come to such a conclusion.

That being said, for whatever reason, DC has clearly decided to throw the character under the bus and just marry the character and franchise names into one so as to no longer disturb the weak minded.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2018 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It does seem somewhat similar to thinking that readers/viewers can't discern that Superman is from Krypton but Clark Kent is from Earth. I mean, Fawcett and then DC used to have a little info square* explaining Captain Marvel's origin in brief. How much of a challenge is: "When Billy Batson and his sister Mary say the name of the wizard Shazam, and Freddy Freeman says the name of his hero, they are transformed into Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel, and Captain Marvel Jr. - the mighty Marvel Family!"

If the product is presented properly, it would be a great effort to get it wrong.

*Incidentally, this was around the time that DC started having a splash page header for all of their features (or most that I recall.) "Rocketed to Earth when the planet Krypton, Kal-El gained super powers and now, disguised as mild mannered reporter Clark Kent,  fights never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way as the Man of Steel, Superman!" A lightning fast introduction that quickly describes the character. Not as necessary for Superman as Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, or Metamorpho, granted, but still - hardly confusing!

I see no reason that Captain Marvel has to be any harder than that.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2018 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Listen folks, we have to call the movie, and character, Shazam because of copyright issues.

Irony is so ironic sometimes.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2018 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Maybe it's time to call him Captain Thunder and his...colleagues the Thunder Family.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2019 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

A couple of minor film updates:

Sources have confirmed to SuperBroMovies that the Seven Deadly Sins are set to appear in DCís Shazam!. 

If youíre unfamiliar with this group, they made their first appearance in Whiz Comics #2 in 1940, the same issue that both Captain Marvel and Dr. Sivana debuted. They are seven demons who are used to represent the seven deadly sins of Judeo-Christian religions. These demons are identified by their traditional theological versions (Pride, Envy, Greed, Wrath, Sloth, Gluttony, and Lust).

Exclusive: The Seven Deadly Sins Will Appear In "Shazam!"

So far we've only seen Billy Batson's Shazam all powered up, but a new piece of Shazam! movie merchandise gives the whole Shazam! family the chance to wield their powers and costumes, suggesting it could make it into the movie.

A new image for a Shazam! giant activity pad showed up on Wheelersbooks.com, and the cover features the movie logo right in the center. As you'll quickly notice, it also features a variety of stickers on The front, which just so happen to include several members of the Shazam! family from the comics, including Darla, Freddy Freeman, Pedro, Mary Marvel, and Eugene, along with Sivana and Shazam!.

"Shazam!" Movie Merchandise Reveals Entire Shazam Family

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2019 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I hadn't bothered to look up the casting for Mary Marvel before, but I think that one was spot-on.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2019 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

NEW TEASER

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 February 2019 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The twisted story of how we wound up with 2 'Captain Marvel' movies (and
why one is called 'Shazam!')

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Thoughts from a press screening (mild spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the trailer)...

The comparison of BIG meets superheroes is spot-on. Much of the movie's second act is Billy/Shazam dealing with both being in an adult body while learning super powers at the same time; a lot of these scenes very much have that kid-friendly, light comedy tone...

...BUT the villain stuff verges into some dark, scary territory & almost feels like it's from a different movie.

Elements in here from the more recent comics that I don't care for: 

- Shazam having Electro-style powers in addition to all his classic ones

- Sivana essentially being recast in the Black Adam role of evil doppelganger

- [One more that wasn't in the trailer so I'll keep it to myself] 

All in all, I enjoyed the movie. It is VERY true to the comics ó meaning the current iteration. Also has what may be my favorite mid- end credits scene ever (my friend & I literally stood and applauded while many around us were baffled).

Edited by Kevin Sharp on 18 March 2019 at 11:37pm

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I pretty much hate the new comic book and swore it off after flipping through issue #2.  I see from the toys being released that the movie is probably going to have 5-8 different Marvel kids(like the comic) which has dampened my already skeptical fear of what the movie's actually going to be like.

Worst thing to ever happen to Captain Marvel is DC.  

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

My youngest wants to see this. I do not. Weíll see which one wins...

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Kevin, is there any scene at the very end of the credits, or just the one at the mid-credits point? I don't want to sit through the remaining credits if there is no other scene.

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Matt,

There is, but it follows the MCU pattern of a significant/story-advancing scene mid-credits & a joke at the end.

Kevin Sharp
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I pretty much hate the new comic book and swore it off after flipping through issue #2.

Andy, 

Without going any further into spoilers, this is one of the most faithful-to-the-comic adaptations ever... but it's faithful to the version you don't like.

I liked (didn't love) the movie. What ultimately won me over were multiple scenes of Billy/Shazam experiencing the JOY of being a superhero & doing good deeds.

Edited by Kevin Sharp on 19 March 2019 at 10:35am

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Captain Marvel was my favorite non-Marvel Comics superhero for
many years, and I still have fond memories of the character as he was
befor DC ruined him. Iíll be avoiding this one like a dodgeball
champion.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Kevin, thanks for the review and info!

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

- Shazam having Electro-style powers in addition to all his classic ones

That comes straight from the Johns/Frank reboot.

I'm not into what Johns has done to Billy Batson and co., but I do appreciate that it's very all-ages, and clearly primarily aimed at youger readers, unlike so much of what DC has published for so long.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I know that when I think of all-ages material aimed clearly at younger readers, I think of Geoff Johns...

Does this guy do kid's parties? 

Here is Marvel Family member Isis, removing Felix Faust's private parts after he's kept her spellbound and raped her for a period described as "months." Thank Osiris Johns doesn't do the sort of material DC has published for so long.

Speaking of Osiris, here he is getting bitten in two by Sobek. Anyone here remember Sobek? One of Mr. Mind's talking alligator sidekicks from the Forties? Man alive, am I glad the Marvel Family is in safe hands with Geoff Johns.

(To be fair, that Sobek devouring Osiris panel is from an issue of 52 with four credited writers including Johns, and those first two panels in the Faust example are from a Peter Tomasi written issue. I do believe the emasculation scene is from one of Johns' JSA books, though.)

Edited by Brian Hague on 20 March 2019 at 2:18pm

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Johns is one of those fans turned pro who thinks that his bad fan ideas are "cool" and therefore he interjects them into the comics that he writes for DC and Marvel instead of leaving them at the door. Sadly, he's not the only modern writer who does this kind of crap.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I haven't read any new Captain Marvel/Shazam! comics for the past 30-odd years, so I'll probably have no clue as to whether or not the new film follows any classic or more modern runs... but my two youngest and I think this looks like a blast.  We'll be there opening weekend, hopefully!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Rick Whiting wrote:
Johns is one of those fans turned pro who thinks that his bad fan ideas are "cool" and therefore he interjects them into the comics that he writes for DC and Marvel instead of leaving them at the door.

Some of Johns work is good, some not so much.  STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E is one of my favorites of his work as are large chunks of GREEN LANTERN and FLASH. I also enjoyed his work on JSA.  Paint with an exceedingly large brush if you must, but I, personally, will take it on a case-by-case basis.  

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

That TEEN TITANS scene above with Wendy & Marvin being
mauled by a demonic "Wonder Dog" wasn't written by Geoff
Johns. It was, IIRC, Adam Beechen.

Edited by Eric Smearman on 21 March 2019 at 1:53pm

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version