Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Stranger Things 2 - SPOILERS!!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Season 2 dropped today. In preparation I watched season 1 the previous 3 days and woke up early this morning to get episodes 1 & 2 under my belt. The second season seems very much in line with what happened the previous year. No spoilers for now, but some interesting new faces. Looking forward to finishing season 2 and discussing the show in a week or so.

Since this is on Netflix and people will be bingeing, I put a spoiler warning in the subject line.  Can't guarantee everyone will finish at the same time! ~ Matt

Edited by Matt Reed on 27 October 2017 at 3:44pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just started on season 2 - looks promising so far.

However, I talked to a friend of mine the other day, who's a bit younger than me, and she asked whether or not I would recommend the show. I found that difficult to answer. Would I enjoy it as much if I hadn't grown up in the 80ies? There are numerous references in every episode that would go over your head if you're not familiar with the pop culture of that decade. 
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think you can recommend the show, the first season, at least (I haven't checked out season two, yet). The references aren't so heavy to scare away anyone younger. I think if you grew up in the era, it just adds an extra bit of nostalgia to the mix, but it is enjoyable even without that nostalgia.

Edited to note: A good example is "Stand By Me." I wasn't of that era, yet people of my generation and myself included enjoy that film and regard it as a classic.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 27 October 2017 at 3:14pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 11:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Would I enjoy it as much if I hadn't grown up in the 80ies? There are numerous references in every episode that would go over your head if you're not familiar with the pop culture of that decade. 

-----

I know plenty of Millennial and teen fans of the show. I didn't need to live through the 50s to enjoy HAPPY DAYS or BACK TO THE FUTURE. You might enjoy it differently if you get all the pop culture references, but I don't think it's required to enjoy the show.

Besides, current pop culture includes a lot of 80s/90s nostalgia. Look at how many 80s properties are currently being recycled.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Also, loved this season. Loved the ending. Perfect 80s ending.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Great second season for this show. Thoroughly enjoyed it and did anyone catch the Sean Astin line in episode 5, "What is at the 'X'? Pirate treasure?" An obvious callback to The Goonies. =) I loved it.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Such a good season. Yes, it is full of ‘spot the scenario’ but they get so many in and do them so well. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Now that I’ve had time to let it soak in, my one minor nitpick would be that
 INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
I wish there was some resolution for Max with Mike and Eleven. They were dicks to her for reasons that weren’t her fault.

Ah well, at least they were behaving like pre-teens. Dicks. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Michael,  I got the feeling we will see resolution to that story point and others (such as Max's stepbrother and his father) in the next season.

I enjoyed this season more than the last.

Without going into detail, the one particular episode about Eleven in Chicago felt very much like an X-Men kind if story, or at least a New Mutants one.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2017 at 3:10am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That episode felt weird to me. I enjoyed it but it just felt a tonal shift similar to the tonal shift for the last Indiana Jones movie. As a series though, brilliant - I watched it in two batches in one night/morning. Something I haven’t done since the first season of 24 (not that many episodes anyway)

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2017 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Matt, definitely thought there was a reference to the Morlocks. I really enjoyed the show. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2017 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Only managed the first two eps so far,great soundtrack
and 80`s references!

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 12:35am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I loved the first season and it took me about a week to watch all of the episodes. I loved the 2nd season even more, and I watched the whole season over the course of a day and a half. That all being said, as much as I loved both seasons I do not want them to make a 3rd season. The 2nd season had such a nice happy ending that I think they should just leave it as is. At the most, I wouldn't mind seeing either a Netflix movie that wraps up everything with Eleven's "sister" and the possibility of other kids with psychic powers being out there or a stand alone animated series aimed at kids that reinvents the heroic characters as paranormal investigators of strange paranormal activity in their town. Other then that, they should just quit while they are ahead and drop the mic and go out on a high note.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 1:10am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

That all being said, as much as I loved both seasons I do not want them to make a 3rd season. 

——

Last I heard, they are planning for five seasons. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I read an interview where they mentioned four

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 8:00am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Released over the weekend is an "After Stranger Things" talk show very much in the vein of Talking Dead on Netflix. Lots of fun behind the scenes conversations, etc. I've watched the first three episodes.

The Lost Sister episode was a sharp departure to the rest of the season, but I thought it laid enough foundation for other seasons even if initially I had trouble with it. The minor complaints I had while watching the second season could be quickly categorized as fan service. Initially, I thought it took too long to get Eleven/Jane back to the boys, I thought the demo-dogs were too derivative and that the lost sister episode was forcing me to pay attention to a manufactured plot line. All of these complaints could easily be called fan service and we all know the moment you are writing for the fans there can be trouble. I'll be interested to see what happens next. Just gotta trust the Duffer Bros and enjoy the ride.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Loved season two! I found it far superior
to season one.

Season one had pacing problems,gaps in
story-telling logic, and a mediocre
finale. Plus it relied too much on 80's
nostalgia to cover up these shortcomings.

Season two was better written, better
paced, and much more satisfying. (Though I
found the kid with the teeth-problem to be
annoying as f*ck this season.

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 02 November 2017 at 1:45am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 November 2017 at 2:32am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Just finished Season 2.  F**king loved it.  Amazing bit of television and a master class in episodic television.  So, so good.  The Duffer Bros are my heroes.  

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Matt Hawes wrote:
Without going into detail, the one particular episode about Eleven in Chicago felt very much like an X-Men kind if story, or at least a New Mutants one.

I'm pretty sure the whole thing was a take on The Invisibles, which they underlined with the "King Mob,""O'Bedlam," and "Barbelith" tags seen in the warehouse. 

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Speaking of episode seven: I agree with the general consensus (from my social media feeds and from reviews I've read) that it's the weakest of the season, but I also really appreciated what it was going for and for how it pulled a little 80's-style cross-genre stuff.

Overall, I enjoyed this season much more than the first.  The expanded cast and more lived-in character dynamics really made Hawkins a great place to visit.  I'd like to see them make Will a little bit less of a passive victim in the next season and also upping the communication between characters - amazing how much of the plot relies on people not telling each other things when they long ago should have.  Not quite Roger Ebert's 'idiot plot,' but definitely a whole lotta trouble that could have been spared.

Really dug the Paul Reiser and Sean Astin characters.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Just finished Season 2 tonight, having watched at a pace of one episode per night -- I thought it was very good and an improvement in some ways on the first season.

Season 1 I felt was more about Eleven than anything else, and I kind of felt it was nifty trick to ease up the focus on her and ratchet up the threat of the Upside Down and focus so much of the story on Will Byers (the kid who played him I though was excellent in Season 2, having not had too much asked of him in Season 1).

Liked what they did with Steve Harrington, who was mostly a dick in the first season. Sean Astin's Bob was just about as likeable as they come, and I enjoyed just watching decent people be decent to each other while evil lurks. Felt the show sometimes veered uncomfortably close to Aliens at times, but this didn't detract too much. The enormity of the gate was awesome and there were a number of high points that stick out in the mind: the claustrophobic horror of Hopper's ill-judged exploration of the tunnels, the shock of the Shadow Monster's trick in The Spy and the reveal of Dustin's hair as he arrived at the dance.

The new characters were all welcome additions, with the exception of Eight (like many here, I felt the episode in Chicago was the weakest). Max is a good addition to the Party and Paul Reiser and Sean Astin were excellent.

Edited by Peter Martin on 05 November 2017 at 8:38pm

Samuel P. Barden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 November 2017 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Spoilers.......

It's the Dark Phoenix Saga, it takes 9 hours to do the Dark Phoenix Saga right. 

The 8 Subplot is the Pinocchio element that all most or the Eleven's Hero journey.  I didn't mind it to see the kids reacting without Eleven.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version