Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 2
Topic: The Walking Dead - Season 8 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In this episode particularly, I couldn't see a lot that was happening; it made it really hard to follow.

So glad it wasn't just me. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've lost a lot of interest this season too. I didn't even see the entire finale, because I figured anything consequential would happen in the last twenty minutes or so.

The fight with Rick and Negan bothered me. Rick grabs his gun and Negan kicks him out the window, Rick rolls through and pops up seeing Negan staring at him through the window. But he doesn't take a shot. He just runs off.

I agree that Negan hasn't worked on the TV show. The actor's a talented guy but the writers haven't made it work. Honestly, I think the core characters are out of gas in general.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, I may be getting ready to bail.  On paper Negan as a character is okay and Jeffrey Dean Morgan is talented but the typical sit-and-wait period followed by Negan's sudden and ridiculously-too-easy, basically unexplained escape from Rick's walker trap along with Negan's all-too-simple overpowering of the group this week was just cartoonish and unbelievable.  I liked parts of one episode I mentioned upthread but I've mainly kept watching this year out of habit because I'm 100 episodes in.  The show hasn't really done much clever or original since Sasha's death.  TWD has gone through fallow periods before (season 2 was pretty slow and bad) and recovered, so I'll probably see the rest of this season through.  But barring improvement, I may be done after the back eight.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 December 2017 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I watched the mid-season finale yesterday and am also glad that it wasn't just me who had an incredibly hard time literally seeing what was going on.  It's one thing to be able to shoot actual night scenes at night instead of the old day-for-night, but it's another when it's so pitch black that it's hard to discern what is going on.  I feel that way with GOT as well.  

It's not just us either.  Several articles have been written about the literal darkening of television.  Link

John Bodin
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 12:15am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Could this modern-day "darkening" have anything to do with the fact that most LCD displays don't do as good a job with blacks and contrasts as our old non-HD CRT TVs did? Would the old day-for-night (with a darkened filter over the lens) approach work better with today's HD TV displays?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

That's certainly a possibility, particularly since most tvs these days seem to advertise "blacker blacks and sharper colors", etc.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I thought the Saviors getting out of that mass of zombies so easily was poorly handled. Also why would Daryl and the rest open a giant hole in the Savior's base for the horde to get in and then just go back to Alexandria if they were really there to "see things through." Made fork all sense to me. There have always been some pretty bad plot holes in the series but they seem to be getting worse.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version