Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Nicholas Pegg Controversy (DWM) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 3:24am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'll understand if this topic is deleted as the word in the article is distasteful and I hope we can discuss it without actually typing the word (I'm sharing it because it's a controversy pertaining to DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE):

Assuming they mean the main article, if you take the first letter in every sentence, I can't see how it spells out that disgusting phrase. I'm baffled as to what I am missing.

Whatever other people are seeing, it is distasteful and I don't know why people would do that if they have an axe to grind. 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 05 November 2017 at 5:50pm
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 3:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm confused about your confusion. It's clearly spelled out if you look at the first letter in every sentence.

I have Australian cousins who toss out the C-word like candy on Halloween and sort of assumed it was equally less offensive in the UK.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I see it now. Don't know what was wrong with me. Maybe the text size was small.

It's childish behaviour. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I really hate the surge in "popularity" for that word. No doubt due to the way we have diluted all the "good" ones with over-use. I've noticed it's even lost its gender-specific usage.

Welcome to the Future.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It can be so commonplace now. One woman I worked with used the word when a stationery order had failed to come through.

Me, I'd have said, "Bloody order hasn't come through, so there'll be a delay." She just rolled her eyes, used that one word and that was it.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It appears the British use the term as freely as Americans use '@$$hole'.

This article verges on incomprehensible stream-of-consciousness in order to make the authot's "point."
I haven't read 'DWM' in many years, so that column is unfamiliar to me. Was it always so verbose?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yes, it was. And it's the worst part of the magazine, always has been.

I subscribe to the magazine - and that's a page I avoid like the plague. I've tried over the years, but it just comes across as gibberish. So in a way, I'm glad he'll be going. I've long hoped the page would be replaced. 

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 3:43am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It's been a while since I picked up a copy of DWM so I wonder what it was that upset Mr. Pegg so badly he would do that.

I think your enjoyment, or otherwise, of The Watcher column will depend on your own sense of humour. I long ago gave up arguing over what is funny or not because it is so subjective. Personally, I found the column mildly amusing and sometimes surprisingly insightful.

While I'll always be grateful to DWM for keeping the Doc Who torch burning during the wilderness years, with the advent of the 21st century incarnation of the show, the magazine has lost much of its interest for me. I'll occasionally flick through a copy at the supermarket, but there is rarely enough classic content to justify the purchase (and, let's face it, the magazine is not cheap).

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I understand what you mean, Andrew, but regarding the lack of classic content, could it be a case of everything that could be covered has been covered?

It isn't cheap, no, although my subscription gives me some savings. I do enjoy the interviews with creative personnel and the actors. I enjoy the comic strip. I don't mind the reviews, but at the end of the day, in a licensed magazine, no review of an episode is ever going to be negative or engage in much constructive criticism; call me cynical, but when EVERY episode, DVD release and Big Finish release is praised, I do wonder one thing: do the reviewers enjoy every adventure sincerely or do they not enjoy some, but feel obligated to praise with it being a licensed magazine?

STARBURST MAGAZINE, which is not affiliated to New-Who, is often more critical and constructive in its criticism. I guess it's about balance. DWM will never probably publish reviews that are critical to its own product - that's the nature of a licensed magazine - but for more balance and constructive criticism, it's best to look elsewhere.

I see the parallels with wrestling magazines years ago. The likes of WWF MAGAZINE praised and hyped its own product (understandably) constantly, but non-affiliated publications like PRO WRESTLING ILLUSTRATED were not afraid to criticize, sometimes harshly, a wrestling event.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Very childish,but unless you know to look for it,it`s
not that noticeable.
Regarding the `C` word,when i worked in the steel
industry,it was quite commonplace amongst the all male
workforce,now i`m working in the retail industry with
mainly women i hardly hear expletives,even behind the
scenes where i spend most of my day.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 3:01am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I don't know if that's true. The c-word still packs a punch when used and, even now, will shock when used in plays and films. I swear quite freely - particularly the f-word - and whilst I have used the c-word, it is a rarity.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2017 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------
Yeah. This is not true at all.
It is still pretty much banned from TV over here and is seen as a nuclear swear word.
I have noticed its use increasing, but it is still the least used one

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

This may be of interest:

Life itself is political. And DR WHO has not shied away from being political, either. 

Not sure why BBC Worldwide should be sticking its oar in. It may license DWM to Panini, but as a subscriber, I can say this: the magazine isn't political. Not really. Some writers may have mentioned Trump, Brexit and other topics, but only within the context of wider words about the show. And the show does reflect topical concerns.

The episode "Knock, Knock" (2017) featured an evil landlord. In the magazine coverage, the writer mentioned landlords. The issue of landlords and housing is one of the biggest political issues at the moment in the UK. Should the writer have not mentioned it?

DR. WHO and politics have always made for strange bedfellows. This is odd behaviour, in my opinion. There's nothing in the magazine that comes across as heavy-handed politically. But if an episode is reflecting topical themes, then if its writers/directors discuss it with DWM, the chances of a political thought coming up is a strong one.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I don't think anything more would have been made of 'Trump and Brexit remarks' in the magazine, if Simon Pegg(aka, 'Shaun', aka 'Hot Fuzz guy', aka, 'Fake AbramsTrek  Scotty') hadn't decided to see if he could get away with his silly little 'word play' in the column.
Oh, well, I'm sure he enjoyed the self-gratification he doubtless experienced while writing it.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

In a way, I'm glad he did it. His column was the WORST thing about the magazine. Esoteric doesn't even begin to describe it. It was gibberish. I tried at times, but I couldn't understand the point of it. I'd have rather had had an extra page for letters.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Brian,i think you are confusing your Peggs! Simon and Nicholas are two separate people!

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2017 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

A fairly recent interview with Peter Davison featured his views on Brexit and Boris Johnson (he was anti both). Even though I happen to agree with Davison's views, I did wonder at the time if those comments would upset any pro-Brexit/Boris Whovians reading the article. I think if I'd been the editor I would have cut those comments as not really being relevant to Doctor Who.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 1:58am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Wether they should ask a person`s political views
doesn`t really bother me,nor would i would be offended
if they shared alternative views,that`s life.

Edited by Bill Collins on 03 November 2017 at 1:59am

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 2:32am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I'm kind of glad that 'Doctor Who Monthly' of my era stuck to talking about that 'Doctor Who' stuff, and not digressions into whether the monarchy should be abolished, or, for instance, Matthew Waterhouse moving on from a discussion of how Adric acted like a total moron in a certain story, to using the 'secret word' favored by Mr.'Not Simon, But Simon Is Still a Crap Scotty' Pegg, to assess the 1980s Prime Minister.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 03 November 2017 at 2:36am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2017 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

The fact is, as in real life, conversations take a particular turn. If a DW episode which has a political theme is covered in the magazine, it's inevitable that a writer will say how it reflects events.

Jesus! I don't want automatons working on the magazine. It's fine to have an opinion. If DWM ever has a "Vote Republican" or "Vote Democrat" (for its US readers) on the inside front cover, that'd be going far, but I'm very disappointed in BBC Worldwide over this. 

I subscribe to the magazine and there is no overt political stuff or bias. This is some offended soul (plenty of those about) at BBC Worldwide. The political comments were a paragraph at most and relevant to the episode being discussed. If THE SUN MAKERS were being discussed, then no doubt someone would mention the taxman.

Note to freelancers and permanent writers: DON'T talk about the world of make topical references when discussing a show that often...makes topical references. What a boring magazine that will be.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I didnít realise this article had been written by the guy who operates/ speaks for Darleks. Hmmm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

As a subscriber, I am wondering one thing: will the next edition acknowledge what has happened and apologize (without using the C-word) or will they pretend it didn't happen?

I'm NOT offended. I don't want an apology (I'm sure someone does). But it'll be odd if they don't apologize in some way, shape or form. Again, I don't want to see that, but it'll be interesting to see if they do acknowledge it.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Nicholas Briggs is the Dalek voice. This guy is Nicholas (not Simon) Pegg.
The guy's got far more publicity than he deserves for artfully writing steam of consciousness stupidity...and we still can't keep his stupid name straight.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2017 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

In an effort to deal with that, I have edited my topic title.

Not wishing to attack anyone here, but this is how rumours start. Someone knows a guy who knew a guy who posted on a forum - and that guy mentioned a name (an incorrect one). Before you know it, Wikipedia and social media are mentioning the wrong Nicholas or the wrong Pegg. 

For anyone joining the topic, and who perhaps doesn't read links, it's NICHOLAS PEGG.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2017 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Oh for the love of ........
What a stupid arse mistake to make.
Must try harder

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version