Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: #fakepresident (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 1  

WashingtonPost

Because it really is impossible to underestimate the intelligence of average Americans.

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 2  

It's depressing, even moreso for those living in the US. I really feel for you all. 

When I wake up daily, because I don't buy newspapers anymore, I check my FB or Twitter feed for news links. Each day, and this isn't good, I have a default expectation: what has 45 done or said today?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 3  

"A plurality of Republicans, 46 percent, thinks the government should have the power to revoke licenses if it says stories are false. As a thought exercise, imagine how much these same people would have freaked out if Barack Obama had called for revoking Fox News's license to broadcast."

Wow. Seems to me more people need to brush up on American history and recognize what the First Amendment truly (and thoroughly) stands for.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 4  

Over the weekend, I had a discussion with a friend that works CSIS (the Canadian version of the CIA). The damage being done globally by this president is remarkable. The world cannot afford to loose the US Democracy as a global leader. However, it would appear that China and Russia, with extreme control over information, are the example for the US. Can you imagine what life in America would be like if there was no impartial news? I would expect if the US News organizations fall there would be some very big changes. The fact that the average American cannot tell the difference between what is potentially harmful or beneficial to their own democracy is frightening. 2018 will be a pivotal year.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

"You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.."

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 8:59pm | IP Logged | 6  

I can't read the article because I don't subscribe to the Washington Post but I gather it is about Trump's battles with media organizations.

The thing is we don't have true news organizations anymore.  They are just political propaganda machines without any real accountability.

They don't just report facts.  They try to spin them to fit their narrative.

All you have to do is look at the Uranium One story and know the MSM play deaf, dumb, and blind when it comes to the sins of anyone on the left.

Can you imagine if Trump received 145 million in donations from a bunch of Russians and then turned over 20 percent of US's uranium to them?

The Trump-Russian collusion story is absolutely laughable in comparison.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 7  

All you have to do is look at the Uranium One story and know the MSM play deaf, dumb, and blind when it comes to the sins of anyone on the left.

-----

What's pathetic is the Right Wing Media ignores Trump's ridiculousness and focuses on old Clinton stories. I'm surprised Fox News hasn't turned up a new development on Whitewater. Maybe Breitbart will turn up some new dirt on Vince Foster.

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

Michael, you might want to call Mueller and tell him it's been debunked and that he is wasting his time.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mueller-now-investigati ng-democratic-lobbyist-tony-podesta-n812776

Podesta's group was instrumental in the Uranium deal and made a lot of money.

Also, just because a left-wing news outlet says it is debunked doesn't mean it is debunked.

http://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/russia-scandal- is-real-involves-hillary-clinton/

Edited by John M. Jackson on 23 October 2017 at 10:35pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 2:38am | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
Michael, you might want to call Mueller and tell him it's been debunked and that he is wasting his time.

John Jackson, you may want to read the article you linked and point to where it indicates Mueller is looking into the Uranium One deal or the Clinton Foundation. I'll wait.

QUOTE:
Also, just because a left-wing news outlet says it is debunked doesn't mean it is debunked.

Yes, and that is where critical thinking comes into play. Instead of dismissing the media outright, as conservatives are wont to do, evaluate the claims and the counter-claims on their own.

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 3:13am | IP Logged | 10  

John Jackson, you may want to read the article you linked and point to where it indicates Mueller is looking into the Uranium One deal or the Clinton Foundation. I'll wait.

They don't mention it because it is a NBC news article after all. 

Here is Fox News video covering it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_o9nLsuYtU&t=5s

FBI uncovered Russian bribery plot before Obama administration approved controversial nuclear deal with Moscow

http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/355749-fbi-uncov ered-russian-bribery-plot-before-obama-administration

The Obama Administration Uranium One Scandal
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/452972/uranium-one-dea l-obama-administration-doj-hillary-clinton-racketeering

FBI informant blocked from telling Congress about Russian nuclear corruption case, lawyer says.
http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/355937-fbi-infor mant-blocked-from-telling-congress-about-russia-nuclear

Edited by John M. Jackson on 24 October 2017 at 3:30am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 11  

Can you imagine if Trump received 145 million in donations from a bunch of Russians and then turned over 20 percent of US's uranium to them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
How much uranium from Uranium One Inc has been exported to Russia since this deal? The answer is none. It has all stayed in the US. If you read through the information, you will see that Uranium One has to obtain a specific licence in order to export anything outside the US. Furthermore, Russia was not interested in Uranium One for its US mines (which cannot provided enough even for the US); it was for the Kazakh mines that Uranium One owns. So hardly a case of handing over US uranium to Russia. It was a case of not blocking a deal between a partially Russian-owned (but still publicly-listed) company at a time when relations with Russia were more cordial and Putin had stepped aside in favour of Dmitiri Medvedev. They did not, at the time, have the power of hindsight to know Russia would invade Crimea, etc. The improvement in relations allowed the US to use Russian land to provide supplies to the American military in Afghanistan. [Edited to add: we should also not over-egg Hillary's ability to unilaterally control this deal one way or the other. She was potentially a large voice in a committee that then recommended action to the President, who had the power of veto. It is not a matter of record whether she actually got involved in the committee, but it seems safe to assume she would have been involved in such an important matter].

Regarding the foundation and foreign contributions while Hillary Clinton was  Secretary of State, the foundation had to publicly disclose all contributors. This is hardly the actions of trying to conduct secret deals, but let's say the donations were intended to ease the wheels for approval of the Uranium One deal. Would restricting the freedom of the press in the future make such murky transactions less or more likely?

Edited by Peter Martin on 24 October 2017 at 6:21am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 12  

Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version