Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Your non-Avengers Avengers Dream Team Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Shane M. had a very nifty idea of your dream team of Avengers. It got me to thinking... what if we make a team that excludes the Avengers as the new Avengers? For an example, let's say the Collector struck again and took everyone who was an Avenger, and a new team had to form.

Same as Shane's rules, mostly. A limit of 10 characters. These characters need to have not officially been Avengers. I'm not counting the Avengers in alternate realities, or occasional guest appearances.

CAN this be done? I haven't read Avengers in something like 10, 15 years, so I don't even know if there are any heroes who HAVEN'T been Avengers. But I wanted to see if it's possible and to try to have a little fun.

I would ask that you not just drop in a team of X-Men, Defenders, etc. I know that it's perfectly acceptable, but I'd like to see some variety; a new team that hasn't worked together before.

Here's my list:

Leader: Cyclops
Alkhema (reformed)
Blink
Clea
Gladiator
Johnny Storm
Namorita
Nova
Puck
Spitfire

I took one liberty in that using Alkhema would require her to be reformed... but there are SO many of such in the Avengers, and Alkhema already has part of Mockingbird in her anyhow.

Can it be done? Wanna give it a shot and surprise me? Let's see!
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Ikaris (of the Eternals)
The Thing
Colossus and Kitty Pryde
Machine Man
American Dream (an alternate-reality successor to Captain America in the same world as Spider-Girl)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Funnily enough, I was thinking someone should do a Defenders thread like the Avengers one. Their ultimate Defenders dream team. This isn't really that, but it's a neat idea, Eric. And a tough one because Marvel has made almost everyone an Avenger at this point! When the Avengers got more popular than X-Men, Marvel put out Uncanny Avengers, a team at least half filled with X-Men that were suddenly Avengers!

Nighthawk 
Beta-Ray Bill
Son of Satan
Karnak 
Doctor Spectrum
Captain Ultra
Forge
Aurora
Human Torch (Johnny Storm)
Doc Samson

Edit: To add Doc Samson who just sprang to mind. Glad I only used 9 members so there was room for him as I think he'd be a great addition to this (or any) superhero team for his strength and therapy purposes. Surprised he hasn't been used more or, to my knowledge, ever been a on super team. (I loved it when JB used him in his Hulk issues!)

Edited again: To change Human Torch to Johnny Storm as the original was a member during JB's West Coast Avengers run.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 22 October 2017 at 1:56pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I want to participate in this, but I'm struggling to think of characters who haven't been Avengers.

I'm guessing now:

Daredevil
Ghost Rider
Spider-Man 2099
Nova
Beta Ray Bill

I honestly don't know if any of those have ever been Avengers, it seems unlikely. If they have, I guess it invalidates my post. ;-)

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This is tougher since everyone has been an Avenger. And I don't know the roster for at least a decade.

Machine Man
Silver Surfer
Thundra
Arkon
Cloak
Dagger
Hex (from Clandestine)
Black Cat
Medusa

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sasquatch
Megan
Cloud
Valkyrie
Professor X
Lockjaw
Rocket Racoon

(There is every chance that at least one of the above has been an Avenger and I simply missed it. I am sure I spotted a couple in other posts but, frankly, the membership is so wide I've probably been an Avenger.)

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Robbie, Daredevil was a member during the Bendis run and I believe the new Nova is a current member, but I don't really read Marvel anymore so I'm just going by covers I've seen on Nova and we can just ignore the Bendis run as far as I'm concerned. :D

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just remembered the original Human Torch was a member during JB's run and had to edit my own post to change it to Johnny Storm.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Robbie, Daredevil was a member during the Bendis run and I believe the new Nova is a current member, but I don't really read Marvel anymore so I'm just going by covers I've seen on Nova and we can just ignore the Bendis run as far as I'm concerned. :D

Yes, I thought I might goof. I'm surprised to learn Daredevil and Nova have been or are Avengers.

I can't really substitute my choices because they all appear to have been Avengers. Any that haven't seem to be loners or villains (I certainly could not endorse Punisher as an Avenger).

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, the original Nova, if that's who you meant was never, to my knowledge, an Avenger and I hated the Bendis run on Avengers so we'll just ignore it. :P This was definitely a hard one as almost everyone has been an Avenger, even folks that never should've been like Wolverine and Spider-Man (though I didn't mind Spider-Man as a reserve Avenger during the Stern run, I never thought he should be a full member).

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Ah, not Richard Rider, then?

It'll reach a point where someone such as a reformed Dr. Octopus or Venom becomes an Avenger.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Johnny  Storm is currently an Avenger. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version