Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Your non-Avengers Avengers Dream Team Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Havok and Storm have both been Avengers - I hate the cross pollination with X-Men.

Indeed, I used to love the Avengers page in OHOTMU and would pore over all the headshots. With the expanded membership, it would now take up a whole issue!
Back to Top profile | search

Jim Muir
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Machine Man - for the robot element
Ghost Rider - for the supernatural element
Captain Britain - because we need a Cap
ManThing - for the tortured muscle
Torpedo - flight/speed
Human Fly - because we can’t have wasp or ant-man!

(Had to remove Jack of Hearts... had no idea he was an Avenger!)

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

(Had to remove Jack of Hearts... had no idea he was an Avenger!)

As was Captain Britain, I'm afraid.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

As was Captain Britain, I'm afraid.

What the fuck?!

I am so out of the loop!

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What the fuck?!

I am so out of the loop!

I actually read very little of this shit, but any little references in what little I do read see the anorak in me follow them up.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 4:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This topic is so difficult...since they've made practically EVERYBODY an Avenger!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2017 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

One element of the Jim Shooter arc for Tigra was that not everyone is actually cut out to be an Avenger. Of course, we immediately had to backtrack on that lest any Tigra fans think Marvel somehow didn't think she was all that and a bag of chips, and so she wound up almost immediately in the WCA.

I really think the point of that story has been missed. The Avengers go up against the worst of the worst and many of them are insanely powerful. It takes a lot to play at that level, and it truly diminishes the title when simply anyone and everyone can join because, well, they can so welcome aboard! 

There are those who ask how good do they really need to be since the first team had Ant-Man and the Wasp fer cryin' out loud, but they're allowing the fannish impulse to diss "unimpressive" power sets to blind them to how brave those characters really are. Both of them fight giants all the time. Every time. 

You want to say the same about the Jack of Hearts, Starfox, Living Lightning, and everybody else as well, fine, but it dilutes the effect of an Avengers membership considerably. By now, that ship has sailed and pretty much everyone gets a membership card as a bonus when they order $35 or more from the Unstable Molecules costume catalog. Whoopee.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 3:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

In re: Captain Britain - as memory serves, this was a female Captain Britain who was kind of shoehorned into the Avengers. Brian Braddock was not an Avenger, although he was an Ultimate - again, relying on my (questionable) memory.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The male Captain Britain was part of the Secret Avengers team during the Rick Remender run, if that counts.    

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
You want to say the same about the Jack of Hearts, Starfox, Living Lightning, and everybody else as well, fine, but it dilutes the effect of an Avengers membership considerably.

Yeah, but where's the line? When Hawkeye joined, he was "that guy who fought Iron Man a few times"; Black Panther and Hercules only had a few more under their hats when they joined; and mainstays like Black Knight, Vision and Wonder Man were created for the title. In 54 years of ever-changing rosters, the net's going to get pretty wide.

The problem I've been having of late is that people get on the team and the writers don't seem to have any notion of what to do with them once they're there. They're just on the roster, don't do much, and then just kind of go away.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 5:09am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Agreed, Dave. Often those comings and goings are at editorial whims that have nothing to do with story as well. Permission for a character to be on the team is given, then retracted, and oh, well. 

As to where to draw the line, I think I'd just like to see a few more characters wash out or just simply decide, as Two-Gun Kid eventually did, that life in the mansion just isn't for them. Hank Pym's fall from grace spoke to this as well, although I'd rather that had been handled differently. In Hank's case, it led to his redemption as well and as a character, he deserved to fight his way back onto the team, having been a linchpin in its original incarnation. 

Of the examples you give for characters created for the team, it's interesting that the Black Knight and Vision are essentially re-imaginings of pre-existing, solo strip characters. The Avengers, more than most teams, are a collection of heavy hitters who've demonstrated solo feature capabilities. Or they should be. I'm all for accent characters and hangers-on as well, (Jocasta is one of my favorite Marvel characters) but I like the Avengers themselves to be as top-tier as realistically possible. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 25 October 2017 at 5:12am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Geez who hasn't ben a Avenger in some manner.

Silver Surfer
Adam Warlock
Ghost Rider
Yeah sure Cyclops
That's all I've got, my head hurts.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version