Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Your non-Avengers Avengers Dream Team Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Really?! Well, I'm not reading current Marvel. Eric and I both have Johnny Storm as choices. :D
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Maybe this should have been "only using non-iconic Avengers..." (i.e. can't use anyone on the cover of Avengers #100). Would've been a lot easier. :-)

But after giving it some thought (and sticking with 7 ala the other thread):

Kitty Pryde
Nova (Richard Ryder)
Polaris
Spitfire
Longshot
Starhawk
Jennifer Kale

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Sif
Madrox
Union Jack
Sasquatch
Clea

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Union Jack

Great choice! I definitely would've included him had I thought of him when building my own All-new Avengers team.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

This thread and the Avengers one are taking up my entire weekend as I'm jotting down notes and coming up with all sorts of stuff I'd love to see if I were ever granted the keys to the Marvel kingdom for a title or two. Now, am I willing to actually put it all together and write the proposals, put in time on independent series, or figure out what kind of flowers Axel Alonso or Dan Buckley likes? No. So, this was likely a lot of work for nothing. Thanks a lot, guys!!

Sigh. So, leaving all of that scheming and plotting aside, who would make for an interesting team of not-Avenger Avengers? I'd buy a book with...

Dragonfly and Mandroid- the Ben Grim and Johnny Storm of an alternate timeline where different personality aspects manifested themselves as the Fantastic Four's powers, in this case Ben's love of flight and Johnny's hobby as a mechanic. All the moxie and ever-lovin'-blue-eyed attitude of the never-say-die original Ben in a more vulnerable and yet still bizarrely transformed version, alongside the very-cool-looking, technologically savvy Mandroid. Yeah... maybe we'll give him a new name. "Johnny Five" maybe? We'll work on it...
Thundra- I like Thundra. I have since the first time I saw her in an issue of Spidey Super Stories. Would she give this bat-winged version of Ben the same level of attention she used to lavish upon his rockier self? Probably not. But then again...
The Impossible Man- Impy unchained! Yes, he has a wife and family now, but you know how he got them? Via mitosis. One more split, and bang! He's a free man again, or at least one of him is. Man, I love me some Impy... I met him in Spidey Super Stories as well, come to think of it...
Satana- Because yeow, that's why. Which means we're also bringing in...
Lilith- Why are these two figures of underworldly evil working for the forces of Good now? They're probably not. Best keep an eye on them... My guess is their fathers are up to something and they're looking to quash it. Besides, I can't complete the FF trifecta of "Ben's Kooky Quartet" with Tigra in this exercise since she had a memorable stint as an Avenger and an unmemorable one in the WCA. Rats... So I'll go with other early-70's horror-characters in her stead.
Man-Thing- I like characters we don't have to write dialogue for. It might be interesting to have Man-Thing's presence on the team be tied somehow to that of an alternate reality Ted Sallis who became his world's Captain America after successfully recreating the Super-Soldier Serum. Of course, MT's real purpose on the team would be to safeguard and provide the combat skills lacking for...
Howard the Duck- Who is on the team without pants. No pants whatsoever. What's Disney going to do? Sue itself?
Shanna, the She-Devil- One of my favorite Marvel characters. Top-tier. I met her in a Tony DeZuniga illustrated story in Rampaging Hulk 9, and have been blown away ever since. So weird and yet so together at the same time. 
Ka-Zar- A new Nexus of Realities has opened up in the Savage Land and a whole bunch of people standing nearby just got sucked in. Hang on, folks, it's going to be a bumpy ride... with dinosaurs and bird-men and flying sharks and stuff. This title would have lots of call backs and reliance upon the Bruce Jones series from the 80's.

Edited by Brian Hague on 23 October 2017 at 12:58am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Gladiator
Shroud
Valkyrie
Triton
Northstar
Darkstar
Lyja 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 6:19am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

OFFICIAL RULING

I can't judge because I haven't been reading Avengers recently, but here's MY ruling:

If you use Thor or Dr. Druid, you get the smack on the wrist, because we KNOW they've been Avengers.

If you use Daredevil (who, to my recollection, was an Avenger for thirty-seven seconds) or Machine Man (who was a guest but not a member - again, to my recollection), that's fine.

If you use Nova, who was a member of an alternate reality Avengers, or Valkyrie, who was a member of the Ulimates but not the Avengers, that's fine too.

I just wanted to get past the listing of Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Vision, Scarlet Witch, etc. that - while perfectly acceptable members of the Avengers - would be easy, and covered so well by Shane in HIS post. I wanted to see if we could stretch a little and make some new teams.

So if you don't think someone was an Avenger, you're fine. And if someone else wants to correct them - BE NICE ABOUT IT. 'Cause nobody knows for sure, I think, and - as always - Wikipedia is verboten. :) :) :)

Carry on.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Dave P. - "non-iconic" is kinda okay, I suppose, but maybe Avengers 200 rather than Avengers 100 MIGHT be the criterion. Because I submit to you...

Beast
Black Widow
Mantis
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk
Swordsman
Wonder Man

Maybe not altogether "iconic", but pretty recognizable.

But I figure we all know who we think of as Avengers... and who else should be on our lists. :)

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Eric - Actually the Swordsman joined in Avengers #20 and was on the cover of Avengers #100.

Edited by Robert Bradley on 23 October 2017 at 7:46am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Mike, was your list a stealthy take on the JLA? 
Gladiator- Superman
Shroud (Great choice by the way!)- Batman
Valkyrie- WW
Triton- Aquaman
Northstar- Flash
Darkstar- GL
Lyja Lazerfist- J'Onn J'Onzz

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Guilty. You got it Brian. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2017 at 3:50pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hmmmm....

Adam Warlock
Storm
Havok
Sif
Sasquatch
Beta Ray Bill (was he ever an Avenger?)

That’s a pretty weird team...but I think they could do some damage.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version