Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Collaborations you’d like to have had? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB;

You've worked with lots of people throughout your career, but, out of curiosity, what comic book collaborations would you have liked to have had?

For the purposes of this question, please feel free to gift yourself your very own TARDIS, so that you're not limited to collaborations with any of your contemporaries, but with any writer/artist/editor/inker etc from any period of time that you like.

Thanks in advance!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

If time travel can be invoked, the list is quite long. I would love to have worked directly with Dick Sprang, Joe Kubert, Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby, Frank Bellamy, Wally Wood, and maybe Will Eisner.

And that's just the top of the list!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 8:09am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't suppose, Mr Byrne, that as a child, you received a visit from a time traveller called Robbie? Who gave you a "laundry list" of requests and an offer to go back in time with you to collaborate with others?

It's what I'd do. But if you didn't experience a grown-up traveller called Robbie when you were young, then I guess it never/won't happened/happen. :/

Edited by Robbie Parry on 22 October 2017 at 8:10am

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 8:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks (again!) for the quick reply.

A Sprang/Byrne Batman story - pshaw, a run! at least a decade long! - would be great; howabout a Bill Finger/John Byrne run too? And I'd've loved a Siegel/Byrne collaboration.

For some reason, I though you HAD worked with Ditko? I'm obviously misremembering - it must be "Kevin Bacon" syndrome, where someone you've worked with has worked with him, too.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's what I'd do. But if you didn't experience a grown-up traveller called Robbie when you were young, then I guess it never/won't happened/happen. :/

••

I subscribe to the hypothesis that time travel is cumulative. Even tho a trip to the Past creates an even IN the Past, that event does not occur until we in the Present (or Future) make it happen.

(I was introduced to this concept by Robert SIlverberg's novel UP THE LINE, in which the protagonist is a time guide, working for a company that arranges holiday trips to the Past. He notes that the most popular trip is "The Crucifixion Run," and that altho he has done this one several times, each time he does he sees only his past self, not any future iterations which might visit later [as viewed from his own timeline]. He also calculates that since this is such a popular run, the accumulation of visitors will eventually mean there will be more people on site than were living in Palestine at the time.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

For some reason, I though you HAD worked with Ditko? I'm obviously misremembering - it must be "Kevin Bacon" syndrome, where someone you've worked with has worked with him, too.

••

I inked Ditko several times -- three, I think -- but did not get to work with him directly, say, writing a story for him to draw.

Steven Brake
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB wrote: I inked Ditko several times -- three, I think -- but did not get to work with him directly, say, writing a story for him to draw.
---------------------------------------------------------

Ah - yes, that explains it, and I'm not going mad!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Well, not about THAT, anyway!

The central point here is the word "collaboration", which to me means two or more people actually working together on something. That's really kinda rare in comics. Writers and pencilers often work together closely, but many times not. (Especially as we have seen a shift to writers producing full scripts. Many of those are handed off to a penciler without the writer knowing who it would be.)

Pencilers and inkers seem like they would be working closely together, but Joe Sinnott told me he had no communication with Jack Kirby during their time "together" on FANTASTIC FOUR, and did not actually meet until years after. Terry Austin and I had a similar experience, meeting only two or three times during our "collaboration" on X-MEN.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

A Batman and Robin story written by JB and drawn by Dick Sprang?!? *squeal*

(I know that may not be the way JB intended to work with DS, but that's what
immediately popped into my head!)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I definitely would've loved to have seen a JB and Wally Wood collaboration! And I wish we'd gotten to have seen more stuff with JB and Al Williamson other than one cover and a panel. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 22 October 2017 at 9:45am

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Ok, other than the great team ups already posted.

I more than once tried to envision a Blackhawk's alliance with JB writing and inks, and Reed Crandall penciling.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 October 2017 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Writers and pencilers often work together closely, but many times not. (Especially as we have seen a shift to writers producing full scripts. Many of those are handed off to a penciler without the writer knowing who it would be.)

As I said in another topic a while back, young me assumed comics was akin to a factory environment. Office booths for writers, a factory floor for pencillers, etc. Think OFFICE SPACE but with colourists, pencillers, inkers and so many others "punching a time clock" in one building. 

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version