Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk
Topic: Favourite Athletic Event Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'll let you name three (no ties, honourable mentions, etc.).

I do like to see the high jump. And I was pretty good at that during secondary school.

There's something satisfying in watching the shot put. I've tried that, but I doubt I broke any records. Arrogant teenage me expected to do quite well with that, it appeared to be easier than it looks.

And then there's hurdles. I found that hard at first, but your brain soon gets used to doing it.

All three of my choices are the ones that I will watch (athletics is something I mainly have on as background noise).

Regarding your choices, they can be favourites as far as watching, favourites as far as participating - or both. 
Back to Top profile | search

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Favorites to watch...

100 meters -  - it is always fun to see who the fastest kid on the block is, and since the race is usually over in 10 seconds or less the build up to it and the execution are both enjoyable.

4 x 100 meter relay - - I like that there is an element of suspense to it as strange things can happen during the baton exchanges. I also like that it tends to reward "team speed" over "individual speed."

400 meters - - the race that most effectively blends sprint speed and stamina in equal measure. Fun to watch, but not very enjoyable to actually participate in it unless you train hard. Which it why I like seeing the sprinters who have the guts to do so.

Favorites to participate...

200 meters - - one of the first sprint distances that I managed to have some success in during my (much) younger years. I have a left leg that is 1/4 inch shorter than my right leg (a result no doubt of playing soccer and constantly planting my left foot to anchor as I kicked with my right one). This gave me a bit of a natural running lean to the left side that made me quite effective at turn running during sprint races.

400 meters - - didn't get into this race very much until the final month of my senior year of high school. Then discovered that I had the wheels and conditioning to be competitive in it. Was just starting to get the feel for the distance when my track career ended.

4 x 100 meter relay - - had more success early on during my senior year in this race, which made it a favorite of mine.

Back to Top profile | search

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version