Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: The Doctors DVD (Patrick Troughton) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2017 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm mildly interested in this:

This is the definitive set of interviews with the team of actors who brought the PATRICK TROUGHTON era of DOCTOR WHO to life!

Together with a special tribute to PATRICK TROUGHTON (the Second Doctor), containing messages from a host of stars and production staff from DOCTOR WHO, this DVD also features the best in-depth interviews ever undertaken with, ANNEKE WILLS (Polly), MICHAEL CRAZE (Ben), FRAZER HINES (Jamie), DEBORAH WATLING (Victoria) and WENDY PADBURY (Zoe)! 

Presented by voice of the Daleks NICHOLAS BRIGGS. 

For all DOCTOR Who fans, this 2 DISC special collectors' edition is 5 hours of pure nostalgia, which will give you a whole new insight into the making of your favourite science fiction series!

SPECIAL FEATURE: Introduction by NICHOLAS BRIGGS & Producer KEITH BARNFATHER. 

This is a multi-region DVD that plays in all territories.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 13 October 2017 at 7:32pm
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 4:22am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Worth it for the Michael Craze interview alone.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I do like the concept of this sort of release.

I watch wrestling "shoot interviews" at times where wrestlers and wrestling personalities, some of them retired, speak about their careers.

I wish there was a comic equivalent of these sorts of releases, particularly if our host was one of the interview subjects.

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I should first declare my interest here: I directed the Anneke Wills interview, edited Deborah Watling and performed various roles on all the others.

I think it's a great set. These are repacked MythMakers programmes which began in the mid-80s. The original 30 minute tapes were sold on VHS via mail order. I used to go round to Keith Barnfather's house and help him mail them out (Keith has the distinction of being the organiser of the first ever Doctor Who convention in 1977). I even did the artwork for some of the early covers! As they became more successful the running time increased to 50 minutes and in the nineties new interviews were conducted with Michael Craze, Debbie Watling and Wendy Padbury which were edited in with the originals. Koch Media have produced similar sets for Hartnell, Pertwee and Tom Baker.

Here's my cover for the original edition of Wendy Padbury's tape! (The background is by Tony Clark who had produced the covers for the first six)

Edited by Robbie Moubert on 14 October 2017 at 11:18am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Interesting, Robbie.

Will you be working in this area again? I'd like a Sylvester McCoy set, please. :)

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There's not really enough material for a McCoy set as there's only Sylvester and Sophie Aldred (Keith hasn't done a Bonnie Langford interview yet). Same applies to Colin Baker as there's only him and Nicola Bryant.

All the individual Mythmakers and other Reeltime productions are available on DVD or to stream/download from Keith's own site: http://timetraveltv.com/

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2017 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks for the link, Robbie.

Hey, I want that McCoy DVD. Interview the lighting director, bring in the person who made the tea, speak to the security guard at BBC, etc, etc. Please. ;-)

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Are these the raw, full interviews from the Doctors documentary series that BBC ran for the 50th anniversary, or are these brand new? 

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 3:08pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Neither!

As I mentioned earlier, these are interviews from the MythMakers series that began in 1984. Some of the tapes were originally 30 minutes and were later expanded with new interviews. This set contains the following:

Patrick Troughton Tribute (2002) - contains Troughton's appearance at PanoptiCon V in Brighton (1985) along with new interviews featuring various actors and production staff. These had been shot over a number of years as the opportunity arose. Unfortunately the convention footage of Troughton is not particularly good quality but this was his only UK convention appearance apart from the BBC Longleat event in 1983.

Michael Craze. (1996) The original interview was shot in 1985 at the Norfolk bar where Craze was working at the time. A new interview was conducted in the studio in the mid-90s (where material for the Troughton tribute was also recorded). The current edition combines footage from both interviews.

Anneke Wills. (1993) We shot this in Norfolk in 1993. By this time the standard length of the tapes was 50 minutes.

Deborah Watling. (1995) - The original tape was shot at a convention in Liverpool in 1986 and a second interview was conducted in 1995 during production of the drama spin-off Downtime.

Fraser Hines. (1994). Filmed in Yorkshire at Fraser's home.

Wendy Padbury. (1994) The original was shot at the Cardiff theatre where Wendy was appearing in Super Ted. As with Michael Craze, the second interview was recorded in the studio in the mid-90s.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2017 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I had no idea she'd done voice work in SUPERTED. :D 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version