Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV
Topic: Supergirl S3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Not sure how many around here are still watching.

I thought I would chime in to say JB should be getting one of those residual checks from DC for using his version of Bloodsport on the first episode.
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2017 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I'm still watching. I noticed they used the name Bloodsport as well, but I kept waiting to see the ability to port a weapon to his hands. I always thought that was a cool power.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The opening logo looks a little darker, as did the first scene. For a moment, I thought they had adapted this Supergirl to the one brought back in the... oh, who the hell knows which iteration of the DCU? The one with the all-black outfit. Which, it appears, was a little close to her character in this episode.

In Kara's dreams, is that a different actress playing Allura? I didn't look it up, but she looks a bit different.

Alex and Maggie - OKAY, OKAY, WE GET IT ALREADY. They're an unusual couple, they have unusual issues, things aren't all Rodgers and Hammerstein for them. Must every screen encounter be a two hour soap opera crammed into three minutes? Couldn't we see them together and happy and in love?

Supergirl is going all "Kryptonian" on us... I guess because she lost Mon-El. But Mon-El loved Kara Zor-El - and while that is also Kara Danvers, it seems as if this dichotomy was a little forced. Supergirl's support system has, for the greatest part, seemed irrelevant to what she's wearing... except, perhaps, for Cat (and even then, it went to both character aspects.) Maybe I just wasn't so happy with the quick resolution of a deep seated issue... she'd been like this for six months, remember.

Also, if I were J'onn or James (sigh...), after a month of this, I would have asked Clark to have a talk with her. And I suppose that possibly he did, but it should have been noted.

It's a shame the actress playing Lena couldn't decide on an accent.

Morgan Edge immediately implies Darkseid to me. And whatever happened to Max Lord? Getting so you can't keep your greed capitalist supermoguls straight any more...

And deus-ex-machiina woman with her adorable daughter just happens to show up at the Girl of Steel Day. I would far have preferred to see a few people trying to help her save her daughter... I can't believe that EVERYONE was so panicked and running away. The same outcome could have occurred, and an observer to this might have been a good hook for later in the season. 

In any case... an unkonwn sister? Kidnapped and sent to Earth by the "dark Kryptonians"? How many damned rockets left Krypton ANYHOW? :)

Could this be Power Girl? Or could her adorable daughter have super powers as well? In the comics, I only remember one story where a Kryptonian offspring under normal circumstances didn't have super powers (Kal-El II, if you're interested.)

And a happy ending, of course. As my wife said, "How fortunate that they had an extra shot at the table." 

This seemed a shaky start to a new season. I was hoping for a more solid episode, but I guess it gives room to expand on stories... few of which I actually want to see more of, but that's how it goes. But heavens, how I hope that this doesn't turn into "Supergirl's Sister, Alex Danvers."

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I, for one, am happy the moody Kara/Supergirl only lasted 1 episode.

I couldn't tell either if that was the same Alura, but I looked it up and they did recast her with an actress from Smallville.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Laura Benanti is signed to do a Broadway show (plus she recently had a baby), so they recast Alura with Erica Durance, who was Lois Lane on SMALLVILLE. 

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Reign comes about.  

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2017 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Bloodsport was pretty much a generic, bald, African-American merc. They used his code-name and real name, but other than him not being inured or even knocked out when Kara sent him flying 100 yards from the tractor trailer onto an SUV, there was nothing about him that stood out.

At the end of last season, we saw another ship launched from Krypton, and they showed it under the water this episode. Could the mystery woman be the occupant of that ship? (But I thought that scene last season had evil conotations.)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version