Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Supergirl S3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

LEGENDS is the best of them now. The Flash really has gone down hill.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I seem to have list track of Supergirl after just three new episodes earlier this year. I wasn't crazy about the story before that, I'm not sure I related it so much to the southern border in real life as perhaps I was meant to. As an examination of weird powerful alien refugees and some villains among us I suppose it rhymed, but too much fantasy involved to make any correlations, they gave the one point of view of someone human that was fearful (which is totally understandable), and the other that a lot of the aliens when with scary powers could be positive or relatable. I'm used to British soaps that often pull story ideas from what's in the news, sometimes they do it badly, sometimes it's interesting.

I can relate to fiction being too polemical on issues where I feel they are wrong so can relate to feeling that way, I just haven't had Supergirl lately giving messages I find risable. I did with a couple of the newer Doctor Who though, but just filed them under bad episodes (the cowardly Billionaire character in one was one, though there were bits I did like probably even then and I expected to not like any of the new female Doctor). I can see some social diversity pushing in Supergirl, but so far the characters have been interesting enough in their own rights, well acted. I was not into the lesbian sister's romantic life at all but it would be part of any character, and maybe they will go there more with the alien trans character and Braniac who is also an alien I think... not sure he ever was in the comics though but in the comics he was involved with Supergirl romantically in her old Legion (later he was in some kind of thing with Dream Girl mostly after she was killed).

A Russian puppet Supergirl I guess you could also link to news about Trump, but I don't imagine it will actually say something about that with Supergirl, it seems a bit ridiculous. I do think of Russia as an enemy of the west though so perhaps if one doesn't they could take offense? Used to be a Republican thing to not trust Russia or the KGB, even ex-KGB, nor communists even supposedly now ex-communists. These are "interesting" times politically. Forcing diversity seems the lesser of some of it to me. I would like heroes who do not murder or go to an extreme at the drop of a hint that they can, that's something I look for in detectives and super heroes.

As a non-absolutist I think people can post about what they want wherever within reason, this is for Supergirl season 3 and anything connected to that.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 22 February 2019 at 5:03pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2019 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

...and season 4, I guess. :^)

They've played on the extreme anti-aliens vs. aliens and supporters thing too much now. I thought they were going into the direction of this clone Supergirl but that seems to have been dropped. I agree with the politics in terms of being against Manchester Black as the extreme on the pro-alien side almost wanting an excuse to go to extremes. There's not much more to think about with it. It should've been a simmering background subplot the last three episodes and not become the focus again as mostly a rerun of the first  time around on it.

Also I think the effects have gone a bit lower quality. Also the costume for The Dreamer is a bit laughable, but maybe there was a fan design contest I don't know about or something....

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Quoting myself like a narcissist wrote:
I’d be willing to put money on Cryer’s Luthor humming or listening to Eine kleine Nachtmusik at some point.

SUPERGIRL never passes up an opportunity to do a Superman movie reference. 

Cryer did a good job as Lex, especially in the last 5 minutes of the episode. Looks like they’re finally going to start the Red Daughter storyline.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 2:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Cryer did a good job as Lex, especially in the last 5 minutes of the episode"

Probably better than the last 3 Lex Luthor's I've seen on screen!

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just watched it. Cryer nailed it.

Would it have killed him to shave, though?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I couldn't get my head wrapped around Cryer as Lex Luthor... especially when Michael Rosenbaum is around out there, and likely the right age.

He got close, although the outraged screaming seemed a bit much. But the Luthor I think of is very different from the post-Crisis or Smallville version, or even the animated Justice League version. The one I am used to is one who hates Superman because of his baldness, and has been so warped by that hate since his early teens that he's irredeemable... he even blew up Lexor just because of his hate for Superman.

YMMV, of course... but this wasn't quite the Luthor I expected.

But is Lena TRULY so gullible that she didn't know Lex would turn on her? So arrogant that she didn't leave a message with Alex or Kara or Superrgirl that detailed what she was doing, just exactly in case she went missing?

I guess we'll see how it plays out. I'm enjoying it, but I could be enjoying it a lot more.

And I agree - Lex Luthor should be totally bald save for his eyebrows.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think Cryer did a good job. Nice blend of evil and smugness. 

It's unfortunate they didn't use Superman in the opening flashback scene. It would have been interesting to see the chemistry between Tyler Hoechlin and Cryer. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I haven't watched SUPERGIRL in a long time, but Lex was in prison for a long time, right? I guess a beard makes sense in that context.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Except he has it in the flashback scene before he goes to
prison.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I want to like this new Luthor but I always pictured him larger, sort of Trump-sized I guess. But he is eeeevillll at any size or furriness level. They've got me wanting to see the next episode a.s.a.p. again at least.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Ms. Jansen, depending on the artist, Luthor started losing weight in the Bronze Age. Maybe Brainiac helped him formulate a sensible eating plan, along with a healthy diet. Or maybe hate keeps one thin.

But Silver Age Luthor was DEFINITELY anything but svelte!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I thought the clone/son one with Mae/Supergirl II in the June Brigman '90s comics, with the full head of hair and beard, was rather large but maybe that was mostly in relation to Supergirl (Mae/II)...

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

But the Luthor I think of is very different from the post-Crisis or Smallville
version, or even the animated Justice League version. The one I am used to is
one who hates Superman because of his baldness, and has been so warped by
that hate since his early teens that he's irredeemable... he even blew up Lexor
just because of his hate for Superman.
Hates Superman that much for going bald...smart enough to do everything he
did to try to kill/spite Superman...not smart enough to figure how to regrow
hair? Even when I was 8 years old that didn't add up for me.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 21 March 2019 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I was surprised how much I liked Cryer in the role. Deliciously vile.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2019 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Bob S. - well, I summarized that origin to its bare bones. Luthor had developed artificial life - real life from a laboratory. He and Superboy were great friends. He had even developed a green Kryptonite preventative. He was the smartest boy in Smallville (at LEAST), and likely had no one to relate to until he made fast company with Superboy. He was also a little less than stable, per clues from the comics*

Thus, when a catastrophe arose, and Superboy chose the wrong way to address it (and we can discuss that for pages of forum, no doubt!), everything Luthor had and relied on was shattered, and even seemingly betrayed.

Was it far fetched? Yes, maybe. But Luthor existed BEFORE that Superboy story... it just added a retcon for WHY he hated Superboy/man.

IMO, if Luthor just hated Superman so much that he had to try to kill him so often, and he failed so often, that superior intellect would have suggested moving to Chicago. No super villains there to interrupt his pillaging and looting.

*There wasn't a way in a 60s comic story to indicate that Lex was a megalomaniac and paranoid/schizophrenic. The concepts were entirely incompatible with a comic book tale.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version