Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Supergirl S3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The fight scene on the mid-season finale episode was amazing. This wasn't by being grandiose and full of effects, but instead by being stripped down and believable.

The part where Supergirl and Reign (literally) crashed into an office holiday party, with no score music but the in-plot Christmas song still playing on the office speaker system, gave the viewer a sense that living in this fantasy world where superheroes exist could actually be very scary for the average person.

One moment you're drinking eggnog with co-workers. The next, you're cowering behind the tables as two super-beings pound each other and wreck everything around you.

And then maybe only a minute later, they're gone again.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2017 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A nice way of emotionally heralding the end of days that Reign represents...

Oh, and did anyone else think Satan Girl, or was it just me?

And... LEGION OF SUPER HEROES! LEGION OF SUPER HEROES! LEGION OF SUPER HEROES!!!
Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2018 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Legion has Bon Jovi walk up music!

...all this and Streaky too.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2018 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

My only question is why is Brainy blue?  

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2018 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Because of his unrequited love for Supergirl, even though he got into her head in a way that even Mon-El never could...

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2018 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ugh!  The brunette "Saturn Girl" has telekinetic powers.  They're all wearing black.  Even "Streaky" is an all-black cat!  Who names a completely black cat "Streaky"?!?  Are there seriously no orange cats in Canada?

I'm really starting to think Berlanti and co. are thinking "THIS'll tick off the fans!"

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 January 2018 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Nicely played, Sofer...

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thank you, Mr. Rhoades. I'll be here all week! Try the veal! Don't forget to tip your waitress! "EEEK!" <thud.>

I am a little bugged that Imra is a telekinetic brunette... but then, Brainiac 5 is blue, and Mon-El is more like Halk-Kar. Considering how the DC TV Universe makes my head explode anyhow, I'm leaving options open. I don't WANT to be ticked off...

But I gotta say... here's Reign tearing up National City*... Supergirl is in critical condition... only three Legionnaires (and what's more, the one who could have damaged Reign - Saturn Girl - had her powers changed)... I mean, I get wanting to salvage the integrity of this show... but if this isn't a job for Superman, what is?

I am a freak for the LSH, and I even wonder if next season might have Kara in the 31st Century for a while?

*Before it was purchased by PNC, we used to have National City Bank here in Cleveland. So every once in a while... I look up in the sky.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"... but if this isn't a job for Superman, what is?"

That and they completely under utilize Martian Manhunter's powers.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yeah, I wish they'd at least throw us a bone and toss in a couple lines of dialogue to explain Superman's absence:  "Too bad Superman is on a mission in a distant galaxy and is unreachable" or something.  How hard would that be?  I mean, his cousin is nearly killed and he's too busy to help out, or even come visit her?

The black Legionnaire uniforms were so disappointing.  In contrast to the movies, the DC TV universe has at least shown some understanding that superhero uniforms should have some color in them.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

They mention Superman, but never consider asking him for help, so Iím fine with the implication that heís unavailable/unreachable. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2018 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Michael R., this will likely sound somewhat pedantic, but... it's Superman. THE big gun. If he exists, he has to be accounted for. One line is all I need... but I don't think it's legit to overlook him. Especially in this situation.

Well, I'm about 28 minutes from this week's Supergirl, with my flight ring on and all. I hope it's a step up from last week's episode.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

This week's episode was.... problematic.

It looks as if Reign is almost becoming similar to Eclipso... hero and villain in one.

MORE MAGGIE SUBPLOT?!?! Can we PLEASE lose any more mention of her?

I kinda liked the super heroine team up... but couldn't the Legion spare a damned flight ring for a powerless Supergirl?

So Fort Rozz is named after a female criminal... who's imprisoned there. So... they built it just for her? Kinda awkward.

Ah, there's Brainiac 5 behaving like a jerk. They couldn't avoid that, could they?

My biggest bugaboo is a tiny glitch... unless you're a Superman fan. Fort Rozz should have been around an orange or red sun to make it a legitimate threat to Supergirl. Blue-white suns give normal humans Kryptonian-like powers, and supercharge Kryptonians to the point of having difficulty controlling their powers.

Some nice bits, but some distractions that are disguised as story elements, and I don't need those.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Alex's subplot, beyond the 'bonding with Ruby' stuff, was rather pointless, especially the way they might have done a good 'teachable moment' about bullying and made it into a comedy bit. And speaking of ineffective, did I miss Imra doing anything 'Saturn Girl'ish? It was so focused on Kara, Livewire, and Psy, they forgot to give Imra anything to do.

Wasn't the 'Rozz' they named the fort after some Krtptonian public figre who later(after the fort was opened) turned bad? Kind of like Zod in comic-book continuity?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Brian O' - I didn't see Saturn Girl her using her powers. Of course, she was the only one qualified to fly the Legion cruiser, but still...

COROLLARY: Men and women are different, but so are other races. Do men have y chromosomes on other planets, or are they different? We've got Kryptonians, Martians, Daxamites, and Coluans - are we SURE they're all that similar to humans?

And I may be misremembering, but I thought in the episode, Supergirl mentioned that the Rozz prisoner was the one they named it after.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Yes..but I was wondering if she had been named for her before she 'turned bad' and become an inmate there.
I don't know all the particulars of 'Silver and Bronze Age Krypton', but wasn't the old Fort Rozz the Kryptonian equivalent of Fort Knox(storage place for gold reserves?)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

How did Reign have her powers around this blue sun thing while Supergirl did not? Theyíre both Kryptonian

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Supergirl asked her the same thing. 
She said something like "there's more to my powers you don't understand".

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Ah. Mustíve missed that. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I seem to recall that Reign indicated that there are more to her powers than just a sun... but I'm not sure I recall entirely. The whole Reign character with magical powers is starting to twitch me a little...

Hokey religionsand ancient weapons are no match for heat vision and super breath. :)

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Psi "accidentally" attacking Imra was such a weird scene that I was expecting it to pay off with some reveal about Saturn Girl. Maybe it still will.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2018 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Michael R. - Surely is possible. After all, Professor X fiddled with Jean Grey that way...

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2018 at 7:43pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Watched episodes 17 & 18 (18 was last night). I almost feel I might be the only one here still watching this show.

Is Reign an update of Black Flame? I used to have the '60s comic with that character in the Supergirl story.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 4:31am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Ms. Jansen, you're not alone. I'm watching it and enjoying it immensely.

Hadn't thought about Black Flame, but it certainly could be here. I was thinking Lesla Lar, but it doesn't really fit.

And all the mysticism associated to Krypton just rubs me the wrong way. I like the story, I like the characterizations - but all that supernatural stuff just isn't Krypton to me.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2018 at 7:23am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I watch and enjoy too. My only complaint, and it's standard with the WB shows, is the cast is too big. I get that ensembles leave more room for melodrama, but if a show's called The Flash or Supergirl, I want to see The Flash and Supergirl primarily.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version