Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Supergirl S3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 December 2019 at 11:41pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The thing with Supergirl is nobody seemed able to do much with her that was any good in the '80s. I bought the first two issues of the new comic and then dropped it, hated the costume change they tried, and the movie was just a mess mostly (unfortunately, and with Peter Cook and Peter O'Toole)... but I thought at the time they were killing her to make the Crisis event 'important', or sell comics by having her dead body on a couple different titles' covers. I can see the point of view that all kinds of super this and super that had been tagged on to Superman over the years, and it could be good for a clean slate back-to-basics approach, but it was after Marvel had seen a few heroines offed and it looked like DC was getting into the act just for a cheap sales spike. If they'd have handled it differently I might've been happier, though I'm sure Marv Wolfman did his best to give her a heroic ending. As it turned out I'm kind of glad it was a protoplasmic person they did the next few tries at a Supergirl with, although it was cool to see that June Brigman got to do the comic for a little while.

I have no idea why they wanted to change The Flash other than Barry Allen was a bit bland and had decades of baggage as well.The TV Barry seems a lot more of a character.

I watched the Batwoman and the Black Lightning episodes tonight. The Black Lightning episode is the first one I've watched and it was pretty interesting (and did tie in to Crisis without being essential perhaps). Really enjoyed both hours, I'm liking this more so far than the Crisis comic back in the mid '80s.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2019 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I’m really...really struggling with this “event”.

All the CW cheese and bad acting seem to add up to low rent Infinity War/Endgame.  

Can someone tell me how the DC/CW ‘multiverse’ makes totally different people out of people who are supposed to be the same person?

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 10 December 2019 at 1:32pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2019 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I basically left the CW Arrow-verse a few years back I watched Supergirl do to the hype of this event.  I like Arrow and Flash when they were more street level type shows this mega crossover cosmic stuff doesn't work for me.  

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2019 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I’m just trying to wrap my head around the premise.

SPOILER kinda talk ahead.....

In this ‘multiverse’ there are any number of beings who became Clark Kent/Superman....but any number of the them can be completely different people (Routh, Welling, Hoechlin, etc)?  And the show acknowledges that Clark Kent/Routh LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE Ray Palmer/Routh from another universe!?!  

BUT....people can also be the same person in other worlds because Kate is the same Kate on the Batman/Bruce Wayne/Conroy universe?!

And the writing is typical CW nonsense.   Clark Kent/Welling learns that entire universes are being wiped out and he trots off with Lois/Durance to play with his kids without a second thought to the entire matter!?

Lex Luthor/Cryer manages to make Superman/Routh fight Superman/Hoechlin...and EVERYONE IN THE ROOM LETS HIM!?!?  It took all of 5 minutes before SOMEBODY decided to kick his ass and close his stupid book?!?  Superman/Hoechlin COULD have done just about any ‘super’ thing to stop Lex before he even said a word!  

What in the hell is going on!?  

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2019 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

David Allen Perrin wrote:
Lex Luthor/Cryer manages to make Superman/Routh fight Superman/Hoechlin...and EVERYONE IN THE ROOM LETS HIM!?!?

One of the key problems that the DCTV shows has is that the heroes, after a long search to find the villain, generally stand around and wait rather than taking any action.  It's especially ludicrous on the Flash.  The writers or directors don't even seem to acknowledge it as an issue.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2019 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

’m just trying to wrap my head around the premise.

The premise is guest star mania.  

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2019 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The premise is guest star mania

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Too bad that ain’t enough.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 3:10am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Shouldn't there be a separate thread for CRISIS, now that its started?

And making us wait until mid-January for the rest is just plain mean!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Overall, despite inevitable flaws, I've been enjoying TV CRISIS a lot more than the original comic. 

I must say, somehow or other Brandon Routh became a damn near perfect Superman. Better than Tyler Hoechlin, and I think Hoechlin's pretty good. I wish somehow Routh could become the, um, post-CRISIS Superman (heh) and Hoechlin could be recast as some other character, but I know that's not gonna happen. I just really hate Routh as Ray Palmer, because the CW Ray Palmer isn't the Ray Palmer that I know from the comics.

I was disappointed by what was done with Kevin Conroy's Bruce Wayne -- although this is a good theory of why he was written the way he was. (But if I ever hear those lines stolen from THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS again, I'm gonna throw a batarang at the TV screen.)

I'm glad there's a Ryan Choi in this story, even though giving him a wife and kids makes him older than the Ryan Choi I know (see a pattern?).

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

CW Ray Palmer is nerdier, less wise-ass Iron Man who shrinks and doesn't have a heart issue.

I was disappointed at how Kevin Conroy was used, as well. I think he was more of a cross between Kingdom Come Batman and DKR Batman, but gone over the edge. Just sucks that we won't get to see him showing up to the rescue with an army of Bat-Robots.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Every time I see Routh as Superman...the first thing I wanna do is send him to a barber and remove some of that excess hair he always carries. Hoechlin actually has the better ‘Superman’ hair.  

Superman’s haircut should always be a bit reserved and conservative to me.    

Physically Cavill made the ideal Superman.  Too bad his on screen efforts have turned out so unsatisfying. 

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 11 December 2019 at 8:53pm

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2019 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Some really fun stuff here including the cameos, the nods to the books, a potential new World’s Finest in Supergirl/Batwoman, Constantine, and John Wesley Shipp’s last Flash scene. It was also cool to see Black Lightning join the other heroes (but by the third time I heard someone say “By Any Means Necessary!”, I was ready to throw my hardcover copy of The Autobiography of Malcom X into the screen). 

But overall, there’s just been way too much tedious exposition over these first three episodes. Too much standing around talking, and not nearly enough quality superhero action. I really liked Kevin’s Conroy’s broken, embittered Bruce—but his immediate dismissal by Kate Kane (out of costume!) was a real letdown. So much potential in that confrontation left unrealized. 

Superman vs. Superman had promise but the resolution—with Brandon Routh staring at Tyler Hoechlin’s chest for what seemed like forever—was just awkward.

I admire production’s commitment to including Harbinger and Pariah, but it feels like any momentum comes to a dead halt when they’re onscreen— which is something I’ve never previously thought about any of Tom Cavanagh’s many roles.

Having said that, I appreciate the tremendous amount of effort has gone into adapting this story for TV, and it’s absolutely bonkers that they were able to actually produce this at all. I’m hoping for a strong finish in January.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version