Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 36 Next >>
Topic: Sexual Harassment In the Entertainment Industry (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

Hollywood mogul Harvel Weinstein has been in some deep doo-doo over sexual harassment charges , and now I just learned that Andy Signore of Screen Junkies has been fired for harassment, too. Add these incidents to Bill O'Reilly and the late Roger Ailes and it seems there's a lot of this going around. Not really a big surprise, honestly, but there sure is a lot of this kind of news coming out lately.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 13 November 2017 at 4:07pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 2  

Weinstein's behavior has been publicly known for years; I don't even think it qualifies as an open secret, since many of these stories were documented in Peter Biskind's DOWN AND DIRTY PICTURES, published in 2004. It's good he couldn't stay untouchable forever.

I feel like this serial disgracing of high-profile habitual predators is our culture compensating for electing Trump president instead of driving him into exile. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 3  

Also Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News had to step down just a couple weeks back because of sexual harassment charges.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 12:35am | IP Logged | 4  

Wow, I didn't know that.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 5  

I confess, until reading this I thought Harry Knowles was an imaginary character, the Alfred E. Neuman, if you will, of Ain't It Cool News.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 6  

I had to Google Harry Knowles.

It's a shame such behaviour isn't dealt with at the time. In some cases, as was shown with Britain's Jimmy Savile, we don't hear about it until after their deaths.

It isn't surprising, but it is appalling. 

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

The charges against Weinstein go far beyond sexual harassment. If what's being said is true, he's a rapist and a predator and should be disposed of accordingly.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 8  

The details in The New Yorker are sickening. After reading Asia Argento's account I had to take a break and wash my hands for about twenty minutes. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 9  

Weinstein should have run for President.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 10  

Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie are now coming out with their stories. Which mystifies me. These two women are hardly struggling actresses starting out in the business. Surely these actresses had enough cache in the industry that they didn't have to wait until after several other actresses came forward. Women who for years have had the eyes and ears of the world on them, acted as leaders in other social issues and voices for womens rights, had full access to the media to call out predators like Weinstein.

'Hollywood: just like Washington DC... except with prettier people'.

Edited by Michael Casselman on 10 October 2017 at 4:51pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

It's just toxic, the whole thing.

I know similar things happen in other industries, but perhaps not to the same scale. Hollywood is about opportunities and there are no doubt sleazy people looking to exploit a situation.

Sleazy people exist in every industry, job, location. I'm sure a supermarket has a sleazy manager or two. But it's magnified no doubt in Hollywood because of the egos. Sleaze is sleaze (and always uncomfortable for the woman), but I'd wager the average supermarket manager doesn't have the ego, narcissism and opportunities like a studio CEO or a popular actor.

Sadly, I don't know what the solution is.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie are now coming out with their stories. Which mystifies me. These two women are hardly struggling actresses starting out in the business. Surely these actresses had enough cache in the industry that they didn't have to wait until after several other actresses came forward. Women who for years have had the eyes and ears of the world on them, acted as leaders in other social issues and voices for womens rights, had full access to the media to call out predators like Weinstein.

-----

For years Bill Cosby's behavior was ignored by the public, despite accusations, lawsuits, and settlements until a male comedian started making a stink about it in his act. The current POTUS was caught on a hot mic bragging about "grabbing [women] by the pussy", and he still got elected. Why women stay silent should not be mystifying at all. Instead of blaming them, focus on the asshole predators. 

Page of 36 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version