Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Sexual Harassment In the Entertainment Industry (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 1  

Thanks!
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 2  

Just got crossed up with the National Post over statistics it printed in an article on pollution recently... they have the U.S. at a tiny fraction of pollution and places like Sr Lanka as one of the worst. Anyone who knows even a little knows what a laughable statement that is!

Men battling about 'me too' but not listening to women... kind of the problem writ small right there!

(edited to remove my ranting)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 30 July 2018 at 1:37pm

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

I did a search on the National Post site for Sri Lanka and pollution. The newest one I found talks about how Sri Lanka produces massive amounts of plastic waste that is directly dumped into the ocean compared to the USA. 

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/terence-corcoran- the-best-defence-against-plastic-pollution-that-catherine-mc kenna-will-hate

Can I assume that this is the article you are talking about? This article, which actually has links to the papers that show that the USA produces far less plastic waste than many other countries?

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/sci/suppl/2015/02/11/3 47.6223.768.DC1/Jambeck.SM.pdf

If this is not the article that you are refusing to believe, then I apologize but if you are, you have nicely proved the point about personal bias obscuring reality and facts. Selective reading to confirm preset biases is never a good thing. 

Again, if this is not the article you are talking about, please post a link to the article in question. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

(removed by myself)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 30 July 2018 at 1:38pm

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

I know this isn't the point you're trying to make Rebecca but I figured I'd post this. A 2010 joint Australia and U.S. study of garbage in sea lanes around the globe;

Infographic: The Countries Polluting The Oceans The Most    Statista

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 6  

Not much point Doug, but thanks for the visual. Facts have no place in rigid ideological belief systems. It is easier to parrot the coffee-shop progressive opinions than actually follow the science.

Oh, the link I posted to the paper mentioned above doesn't work. I know to some, SCIENCE is a fake news, alt-right publication but here is the correct link below.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 7  

This thread is taking a serious detour.  I suggest that if you guys want to talk about Canadian news and debate who is creating false narratives, you start another thread.  This one is specific to sexual harassment.  

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

(removed by myself)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 30 July 2018 at 1:38pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

Detour: National Post Canadian newspaper others have cited as their source for things = joke. That's all I was trying to say.

(removed by myself)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 30 July 2018 at 1:39pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

sigh

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

Apologies for my own 'tude in response to someone else's. Have had my say, and hopefully that's respected. Thank you for the space.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 12  

You're just arguing against yourself here, Rebecca.

'Numbers on pieces of paper never tell the full or real story' is not a strong argument in itself.

And I'm not saying you're wrong. But the strongest argument is the one painted by objective numbers. I'd be interested to see a chart per capita. With the population numbers, I'm not surprised to see China there. That India is not there and that Sri Lanka is so high does tingle my spider-sense.

And, of course, this thread isn't about pollution.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 13  

I didn't intend or expect to go into it, it's just something where I know a particular paper has not screened it's material and is in fact publishing half-truth which is a kind of misinformation. I would not be surprised if they were as sloppy with another topic or story. Those numbers leave out the facts of who is ordering all the plastic goodies (just look at the proliferation of those large headed big eyed collectable things in all the comic shops these days which have to use but to be collected), and where the actual trash is coming from before a Sri Lanka or Philippines or Vietnam.

I know. I have informed myself on the mountains of trash and waste materials we sell, ship, force etc. on those third world nations now being blamed for our waste! Knowing I see red and am overwhelmed at the injustice. Seriously, do not believe that Indonesia or Sri Lanka are the start of and the real problem behind plastic pollution in the ocean, we have passed the buck onto them big time and have been for quite awhile and sending more all the time. Little kids are getting terminally ill from the run off from piles of our trash and industrial wastes we won't allow to be disposed of in our own countries. Seniors are exposing themselves to radiation to try and get specks of gold and platinum out of our used devices... I can tell you Sri Lankans aren't upgrading to new iphones every year!

I'd be happy to stick to the topic, just wanted to express that The National Post paper has less credibility with me than ever lately. Googling for 'facts' to fit some argument is what these kinds of peddlers of these simple blame game things are pandering to. I've already said I think some women are well over the top in their reactions to pretty minor incidents, but not that they don't happen a lot from some men (and even women). I think pushing their buttons or insinuating they are at fault is about like quoting some manipulative simplistic numbers off a USA Today type graph like it was carved in stone when it's just all over the internet because it's what a lot of people desperately want to believe is that simple and they are blameless. Hating/blaming all men is every bit as wrong and simplistic.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 29 July 2018 at 10:22pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 July 2018 at 10:35pm | IP Logged | 14  

Great. Now I strongly urge you to start another thread about waste, trash, and The National Post. Seriously.  This isn't the thread for that discussion.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 4:39am | IP Logged | 15  

WTF is going on around here? 

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 16  

So, uhm, yeah. Les Moonves now.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/29/cbs-board-to-reportedly-disc uss-sexual-allegations-against-moonves.html

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 17  

Better to link to the original article published on Friday from the New Yorker:  Link

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 18  

GOTG Cast just posted an open letter requesting the reinstatement of James Gunn HERE

I expect this puts in Marvel/Disney in a pickle because their very expensive actors are now openly in defiance of Disney. It may compromise the film with a new filmmaker under even more duress.

I expect Disney to have done enough market research to see if Gunn's loss or return will affect box office, especially with a cast mutiny possible, and either reinstate him or cancel GOTG 3

RT

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 19  

Rooker’s on there. I guess he’s gonna be in 3?

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 20  

I think Disney would cancel the film, or indeed sack the entire cast, before they'd let themselves be dictated to by actors.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2018 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 21  

Disney will make this decision based on a cost benefit analysis.  If they do it based on any 'principle', they can be sued by their shareholders.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2018 at 11:46pm | IP Logged | 22  

Chris Hardwick is going to be the guest judge on the next episode of AMERICA'S GOT TALENT.

Glad to see that bs didn't do any major damage to his career.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 23  

Bill Cosby gets 3-10 years and is deemed a ‘sexually violent predator’.

Hope the many women he assaulted feel some sense of justice from this.

LINK

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2018 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 24  

In a peculiar example of unfortunate timing, I see that Amazon has just added "Leonard Part 6" to its Prime Video offerings.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 September 2018 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 25  

In a peculiar example of unfortunate timing, I see that Amazon has just added "Leonard Part 6" to its Prime Video offerings. 
--------------------------------------------------------
You could consider that kicking the man while he's down.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version