Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 36 Next >>
Topic: Sexual Harassment In the Entertainment Industry (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2017 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

Robert Rodriguez Says Casting Rose McGowan in ‘Grindhouse’ Was an F-U to Harvey Weinstein

Rodriguez is running around the internet collecting high-fives for his heroism, but I think his account is a gender political nightmare.
  • He may literally be the first person to congratulate themselves for their conduct in these sordid episodes
  • Rose McGowan barely has a voice in Rodriguez's account, aside from expressing shock, gratitude and awe.
  • He brags about impulsively inviting Weinstein to their table, but doesn't mention if Rose consented to face down her rapist
  • Rodriguez's own high-pressure on-the-spot offer of a film role, and his delusionally messianic characterization of her response, reeks of quid pro quo in light of their subsequent relationship.
  • Rodriguez doesn't mention he and McGowan went on to have a presumably consensual relationship while filming Grindhouse, which itself was inappropriate if normalized unprofessional behavior, and the fact of it, and the omission, compromises what integrity his account may have.
  • Is Rodriguez opening McGowan to legal harassment by publicly stating she broke her NDA in 2005? Probably not, but it doesn't sound as if the possibility occurred to Rodriguez.
  • McGowan wasn't quoted in the story, and has not commented or tweeted about it, which is of course her right, but she's been pretty enthusiastic about retweeting her supporters before now.

There's an element of creepy territory-marking in Rodriguez's creepy, self-congratulatory savior complex. It sounds like he used McGowan's experience as a club to assert alpha primate dominance with Weinstein, reminiscent of the Jack Woltz-Johnny Fontaine feud in THE GODFATHER.

I wonder if Rodriguez is trying to get ahead of impending allegations of his own misconduct by reminding McGowan of how much he thinks she owes him?

For what it's worth, entertainment journalists on Twitter are anecdotally confirming a lack of interest in promoting GRINDHOUSE by the Weinstein Company.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 12:07am | IP Logged | 2  

David Miller wrote:
I wonder if Rodriguez is trying to get ahead of impending allegations of his own misconduct by reminding McGowan of how much he thinks she owes him?

Pure speculation, right?  There's nothing I've read or seen that even points to Rodriquez having been or going to be accused.  Sorry, but this kind of spurious allegation, however couched in "maybes" and "perhaps", reads all kinds of wrong to me. This is honestly where the hunt turns from reality to witch.
Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 3  

It's not a witch hunt to examine the way Rodriguez's own account—and his self-serving omissions—ironically speaks to matter-of-fact abuse which matches Weinstein's MO, and distinguished only by the presumption of consent, something we're supposed to take Rodriguez's exaggerated word on, while McGowan has either declined comment or not been asked. If Weinstein surprised an actress by confronting her with her rapist and forcing him to cast her in a movie there'd be no question it was abuse and a power trip. 

Anyway, Rodriguez is being feted for his courage. Not much of a witch hunt.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 2:26am | IP Logged | 4  

Jesus. Come the fuck on.  You're reading so much into what he wrote and inject your own bias into it that you've convinced yourself that Rodriguez is guilty despite no accusation against him.  You're worse than TMZ dude.  You presume guilt before there's even an accuser.  

Ride the high horse, but you're doing no favors.  Unless you have inside knowledge, heard from someone who was there or otherwise know something no one has yet to divulge, then stop with the bullshit speculation and accusations based on absolutely nothing. This is serious shit and, as such, merits full consideration not some out-of-hand bullshit because you don't like how someone wrote an op-ed. 

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 5  

While I wouldn't go so far as to speculate & jump to certain conclusions about Robert Rodriguez, I will say this... Bandwagon jumping at it's "finest."
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think it's admirable that Rodriguez stood up to Weistein no matter what his movies were (and when you leave your pregnant wife for said star you are defending it's hard to say there were no ulterior motives). He was still one of the few people willing to defy Weinstein's black-balling at his own company. I guess the only thing that really bugged me about his piece is the fact he laments about how Weinstein buried his film for having McGowan in it almost as much as he does the sexual assaults.

And, Paul, hard to say he's bandwagon jumping if he was willing to sacrifice his movie and his marriage for McGowan long before there was a bandwagon. He's not jumping on the bandwagon. He was her shining white knight. 

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2017 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 7  

After thinking it over a bit I have to agree. In fact, in this particular case, Robert Rodriguez's bandwagon jumping appears to be a good thing.

That said, even though I never saw Grindhouse, I DO recall that it was advertised all over the place. It seemed to me to be the OPPOSITE of buried.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2017 at 9:27pm | IP Logged | 8  

Kevin Spacey's turn:

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 9  

In a way I'm glad this stuff is being brought forth. Perhaps it will empower others to come forward.

That said, I'd much rather it does so sooner rather than later. As time passes it becomes harder & harder to convince a jury about actual facts.

This "court of public opinion" that has become so prevalent of late does not appear to REALLY be interested in justice. They SAY they are, but their "actions" indicate otherwise.

Obviously my views are not very popular, but I'm not interested in popularity contests anyway.

I've been accused of being a rape apologist, but nowhere have I EVER condoned rape & I never will. So, whenever I'm accused of things & I know 100% that I'm innocent of these accusations, my conscience always remains clear. There's an analogy in there somewhere.

I want justice to be served. If these accusations can be proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, that would be great. I'm all for criminals facing justice & paying for their crimes... AFTER being convicted in a court of law.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 10  

There's really no such thing as justice in cases like these. Both sides end up stained forever, no matter what the legal outcome.

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 11  

Indeed & it's tragic (understatement!) for both sides.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2017 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 12  

Corey Feldman speaks about making a film on child abuse in Hollywood:

LINK.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 36 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version