Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 14
Topic: Sexual Harassment In the Entertainment Industry Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hollywood sure is a place with some disturbingly strange characters. Hoping articles like this help to force a new standard of behavior there.

I think Uma Thurman is a great actor, she's lucky to have survived being involved with these dirtbags. Glad I read this piece - It's confessional and felt unguarded and pretty honest.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 03 February 2018 at 3:39pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Thought this was a really interesting piece in the Guardian today about Woody Allen.  I have a lot of sympathy with this view.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

If you're interested in the Woody Allen/Dylan Farrow case, it's worth googling what Moses Farrow has to say about his upbringing with Mia and the accusations.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

All of this continues to make my blood boil. And to find out now that Eliza Dushku and Uma Thurman, two actors I've followed throughout their careers, were attacked is simply enraging.

One distinct downside to aging is not just watching the world grow more rotten and fetid around you, but coming to the inescapable realization that it's been this foul all along. And I'm not sure that going into it without any illusions, knowing it's a f*ckin' cesspool from the start, is a good approach either...

Seriously, if 36-year old stunt coordinators, whose job it is to keep a minor safe, attack their 12-year old charges in hotel rooms, throwing their weight on top of them and sexually assaulting them, and can then simply go on with their careers, working on, say for instance, last week's episode of Star Trek: Discovery, as just a random example, what the **** does this say about the industry and the society that shelters them? This is an entire industry based upon recording devices! No one ever tries to get these lousy *****'s on tape? No industry anywhere is subject to greater scrutiny by the public and the press! And yet everyone around these attacks just shuts up and keeps it all under wraps for the good of the studio and the town?

Hopefully, the days of industry-mandated deception and bullying (IMDB) are over... This needs to be talked about every time it's known to occur. That doesn't simply put the onus on the victim. Attackers brag and bluster to associates, and like to celebrate their little victories with friends. Once someone is known to behave in this manner, greater attention to their activities must be paid, and their potential victims need to be told that they can come forward without fear of retaliation should something occur. 

It's difficult when the rapists ooze money like hog sweat and can hire former MOSSAD agents to take down and undermine those who would come forward. Their victims need to have a safe venue to tell their stories, and know that attention will be paid.

Of course, should such protections come into being, they will naturally be the next thing corrupted, turned mean and venal, and used against others who will have no defenses available to them. The scum always rises...

Edited by Brian Hague on 03 February 2018 at 7:39pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The infuriating thing about Tarantino's recklessness is he's a a massive influence on low budget directors. I spent two years in Los Angeles producing indies for a series of goofs who called me a fag for enforcing safety and professionalism if it got in the way of their rad art. The only differences between Tarantino and the guy who got his assistant camera operator killed in GA a few years ago is the scale of production and Thurman's survival.

That's actually the second most infuriating thing. The most infuriating thing is reading the comments from dismissing Thurman, even though they clearly haven't watched the video of her accident embedded in the article.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 12:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I had no idea Hollywood is right down there with the Taliban in their treatment of women. What a mess. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 04 February 2018 at 12:32am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 1:12am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Checking out that video, Thurman is shot from behind throughout. What was the point of having that done by the actor herself rather than a stunt person? 

Edited by Brian Hague on 04 February 2018 at 1:15am

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 2:03am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Friends in high places seem to be the answer to a lot of
this,not just in the movie world,we had a well respected
MP over here called Cyril Smith, after his death it was
revealed he`d been a paedophile and it was an open
secret,but he was protected by the establishment and
even the police.Then there`s the Jimmy Savile case where
the BBC and hospital`s he raised money for turned a
blind eye.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I am a school teacher and if I found out a fellow teacher was abusing students, I would report them. I am constantly at a loss why other occupations do not do this as well, as it just makes the entire organization look bad. Good police should report the bad ones. If your coworker has a thing for pre-pubescent children, why on earth would you cover it up? It is not difficult to go anonymous in these situations. 

As for the Tarantino stuff, the headlines are putting him and Weinstein in the same footing, when they are obviously not. ("Uma Thurman levels accusations against Weinstein, Tarantino"). I imagine that Tarantino and other directors have asked their male actors to perform dangerous stunts. Completely different situations. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 2:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I am constantly at a loss why other occupations do not do this as well

——-

Other occupations? Try other schools. There are plenty examples of schools covering up teachers accused of abuse.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 2:26am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Which is bizarre to me. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Are the cover ups intended to not throw a bad light on
the school/organisation as a whole? Surely a no
tolerance approach would be a much better PR move and
weed out the pervs?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Neil Lindholm wrote: "As for the Tarantino stuff, the headlines are putting him and Weinstein in the same footing, when they are obviously not. ("Uma Thurman levels accusations against Weinstein, Tarantino"). I imagine that Tarantino and other directors have asked their male actors to perform dangerous stunts. Completely different situations. "

Right. Bullied and threatened by Weinstein, she was going to be raped. Bullied and threatened by Tarantino, she was going to be either disabled for life or dead. Completely different outcome.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2018 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I've read of Thurman being Tarantino's "muse" for years now, but this takes it all to a new, uncomfortable level (the way he literally pets Thurman on the shoulder, after the crash, is beyond creepy to me).

As a person, Quentin Tarantino always seemed like a quirky oddball, but for me, this definitely starts to color some of his films, in an unfortunate way.

It'll be interesting to see how he responds to all of this.  None of this paints him in a positive light, to be sure.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2018 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Wasn't Mira Sorvina the girlfriend of Tarantino, in the same time frame as when she got harassed, then blacklisted by Weinstein? And wasn't Rose McGowan the girlfriend of Robert Rodriguez, another Weinstein partner? And Thurman maintained a strained friendship with Tarantino after Kill Bill? With friends like these ... 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 05 February 2018 at 6:13pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2018 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

So I didn't want to derail the thread this comment was made in, so apologies for the crosspost:

QUOTE:
I'm like an abused wife when it comes to Star Wars. I'll swear to never go back after being bitterly disappointed once again, but instantly get googly-eyed when new promises are made.

This has nothing to do with being PC or "looking to be offended". If you can't make the connection between a culture where guys make casual victim-blaming domestic abuse jokes and a culture where women feel they have to stay silent about assault and abuse while continuing to work with their abusers, then you are part of the problem. People keep saying this is a Hollywood problem. It's not. It's an everywhere problem. Hollywood just provides the most media-sensational stories.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

So, Quentin Tarantino explains the Kill Bill car scene and Weinstein in detail:

Long-winded explanation about the really crappy way he treated the star of his film, his muse, his “friend”. Tarantino fucked up and deserves the backlash.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 06 February 2018 at 2:20pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I think Tarantino is taking responsibility for Thurman's injuries. But he's saying the NYT article is making out to be the only bad guy, when there are others involved. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

"It's an everywhere problem."

I am now convinced that it's a huge problem in Hollywood. I was previously ignorant of this, having been only a spectator to the entertainment industry. But it's also a Liberal jihad that will end up f*cking itself. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 06 February 2018 at 10:01pm

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

It sounds Tarantino smoothed things over with Thurman sometime last week, between her NYT interview and its publication with the video. There's a wide gulf to reconcile between what Tarantino characterizes as a 2-3 year estrangement that ended a decade ago and the ongoing 12-13 year falling out described in Dowd's article.

Edited by David Miller on 06 February 2018 at 10:02pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 1:46am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Weinstein victim Rose McGowan's manager takes her own life. Family blames McGowan and the media: 

They family states:

"While journalists serve an important role in exposing predatory behavior, we are seeing irresponsible choices and an addiction to sensationalism which leads to inconsistent storytelling. The media is a powerful tool not to be taken lightly. Most individuals would be horrified to have their name spotlighted in a major international news story — let alone their photograph. We cannot forget that the media is a fearsome tool which cannot be used indiscriminately or even inadvertently to create further victims."

Edited by Joe Zhang on 09 February 2018 at 1:49am

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

The statement from Jill Messick's family is heart breaking.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 14
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version