Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Sexual Harassment In the Entertainment Industry Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Oh, there are several reports about Bryan Singer being a sexual deviant, to be sure. My point is that the article linked to above about his being fired from the Queen bio-pic has apparently nothing to do with any sexual harassment charges. It seems more about attitude problems on the set. Maybe there is more to it than is being reported, but at this time it bears no relation to the current crop of sexual harassment. (The "Usual Suspects" stories, however, do relate to the subject.)

I mean, if Singer was in the news for getting a traffic ticket, is that relevant to a discussion on sexual harassment simply because it was Bryan Singer?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Wow!!! John Oliver gets some props for having the balls to take Dustin Hoffman to task here:

LINK.

I want someone at the upcoming Oscars to give it to all those phony celebs who continued (continue?) to support Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, but I doubt that will happen.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

By the time we get to the Oscars, will there be anyone left to host it that hasn't been accused of something?
Back to Top profile | search

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Has there been any other acquisitions made against Dustin Hoffman?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 December 2017 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Steve, I haven't heard about any new accusations.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Bryan Singer receives a new traffic ticket: LINK

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Now, see, Doug, THAT is relevant to the topic being discussed.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 3:03am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Damn. "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" will never get filmed now. Oh well, he probably would have messed it up anyway. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It's such a weird context for to the author to refer to Washington as the "Evergreen State". 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Now, see, Doug, THAT is relevant to the topic being discussed.

As was the first link, unless you took THR's hand-fed "exclusive" purely at face value without considering both his history with the studio and the current climate. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Sorry, Doug, but the article about his firing said NOTHING about sexual harassment, and I still have yet to see anything to suggest that. Unquestionably, based on other reports and allegations about Singer, he is an offender, but that article from The Hollywood Reporter was about Singer being fired because he didn't show up on the set and had a bad attitude towards the lead actor.

You are reading into the article what you want, but nothing in the article from THR suggests the firing has to do with sexual misconduct.

Now, yes, the second article you shared is all about Bryan Singer's sexual misconduct. No mind-reading or conspiracy theories required to make that conclusion. So, yeah, it is more in line with the discussion here.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Doug Jones wrote:
...unless you took THR's hand-fed "exclusive" purely at face value without considering both his history with the studio and the current climate...

You know, I want to throw this out to the board, so to speak, for opinion.

Considering the thread is about sexual harassment in entertainment, in general, and more specifically within the movie industry, should ANY news story regarding a celebrity, studio mogul, and the like be considered on topic?

If there is an article about "The Cosby Show" that has no mention of the sexual harassment or abuse claims against Bill Cosby, is it still fair game for discussion in a thread about sexual harassment or abuse?

When Doug posted the link to an article about Bryan Singer being fired from the Queen biopic in a thread about sexual harassment in Hollywood, the natural inference is that the story has to do with that subject matter. Now, Doug obviously feels that it is the "real" reason, judging by what he has posted, but nothing in that article suggests this is the case.

Still, Singer has been accused of sexual misconduct in the past (and since the Queen biopic article, but unrelated to that situation), so is the firing from the film relevant to the discussion simply based on those accusations?

I am sincerely wanting to know what others think about this.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 December 2017 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

When Doug posted the link to an article about Bryan Singer being fired from the Queen biopic in a thread about sexual harassment in Hollywood, the natural inference is that the story has to do with that subject matter. Now, Doug obviously feels that it is the "real" reason, judging by what he has posted, but nothing in that article suggests this is the case. 

----

If I recall correctly, Doug works in the industry, and it was with that insight that he posted that article.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2017 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Of course, the comics industry isn't immune from this sort of horrible behavior either.

This, in particular, took way too goddamn long:

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2017 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Has there been any other acquisitions made against Dustin Hoffman?

Steve, yes, there have been several more women come forward with Dustin Hoffman claims, some just in the last week or so.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-dustin- hoffman-sexual-misconduct-accusations-20171215-story.html

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2018 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

QUOTE:

David Miller wrote:
I wonder if Rodriguez is trying to get ahead of impending allegations of his own misconduct by reminding McGowan of how much he thinks she owes him?

Pure speculation, right?  There's nothing I've read or seen that even points to Rodriquez having been or going to be accused.  Sorry, but this kind of spurious allegation, however couched in "maybes" and "perhaps", reads all kinds of wrong to me. This is honestly where the hunt turns from reality to witch.

Rose McGowan Claims Robert Rodriguez Used Harvey Weinstein Rape Against Her to Play ‘Mind Games’ on Grindhouse 

QUOTE:
Though director Robert Rodriguez paints himself as a hero who cast his then-girlfriend Rose McGowan in his film Grindhouse to spite Harvey Weinstein, aware that Weinstein had allegedly raped her in 1997, McGowan remembers his intentions differently. Recalling the incident to Vanity Fair in a teaser chapter from her forthcoming memoir, McGowan now accuses Rodriguez of using that information that she told him in confidence to play “mind games” on her during filming. She points to a scene in which Quentin Tarantino, who also admitted that he knew all about Weinstein, terrorizes her. “I was in a backward world,” she writes. “I was losing my grip on sanity.” She remembers that Rodriguez’s ultimate betrayal occurred when he “sold our film to my monster.”

QUOTE:
In one of the memoir’s most gripping chapters, she recounts her affair with director Robert Rodriguez (Spy Kids, From Dusk till Dawn), a smooth-talking, sensitive-seeming guy who turned out to be a Svengali. He and Quentin Tarantino were planning a double feature—Planet Terror and Death Proof—based on pulp movies of the 1970s, and he wanted McGowan to star. McGowan fell hard and fast, trusting Rodriguez enough to tell him about her experience with Weinstein. He proceeded to use the knowledge against her, she claims, as a tool for mind games, starting with a scene in which Tarantino, playing a character in his movie, attacks McGowan’s character. “I was in a backward world,” she writes. “I was losing my grip on sanity.” In what McGowan interpreted as the ultimate act of cruelty, Rodriguez “sold our film to my monster.”

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

WOW.... now Stan Lee is the latest celebrity to come under fire for apparent sexual misconduct....

*sigh*

-C!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I honestly thought the news about Stan Lee was a joke when I first saw an article online about it.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2018 at 5:48pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Jesus fucking christ. The same allegations can be made against upwards of 90% of nonagenarians undergoing health care. Deteriorating faculties may not excuse "harassment" but there's a point when old people lose some or many of their marbles and need enhanced supervision. (Mark Evanier once wrote a column about Ray Bradbury, and how later in his life public appearances needed someone to be on duty to keep Bradbury from pinching women's asses.) Part of senior care is keeping this kind of behavior in check, and keeping it quiet (unless to warn potential grabees).

Whoever leaked this possibly violated HIPAA; they should be ashamed of themselves and terminated from their profession.

Edited by David Miller on 09 January 2018 at 5:55pm

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2018 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

#NoMercy

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2018 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

I think there is a difference between how someone with all their faculties and someone who possibly has a form of dementia acts. If he was doing this in his '60's, I'd say throw the book at him.

Talk to people who work in care homes and they will let you know that they experience people walking around with their bits hanging out on a daily basis.

On another note, I see 100 women have signed an open letter stating that men should be allowed to make sexual advances.

I agree, they should. But with caveats.
1) Has the woman (or man) shown any interest in you?
2) Are you in a position of power over them?
3) Is there a suggestion that if they spurn the advance there will be repercussions?
4) Is it verbal or have you just got your bits out
5) Have you simply asked if you can masturbate in front of them
6) Is the general tone that this is all about you and not about both of you
7) Is this a notch on your post or relationship building

There are many others but these are some of the main points.

I agree, a man placing his hand on a woman's knee should be allowed as a means of showing interest - but there should have been a build up to that point. Leaning over someone who is your subordinate, just thrusting your hand onto their breast to cop a feel out of the blue - these need to stop.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

A man in his 90`s that was recently widowed after 70
years of marriage???? Not a word of any wrongdoing in
his prime,I do not believe a word of it.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2018 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Michael Douglas was contacted by The Hollywood Reporter and Variety in regards to stories they plan on running about accusations aimed at the actor...

Something has to be done about these allegations, it's really getting out of hand. I support the victims, but there are definitely OPPORTUNISTS out there looking to cash in.

-C!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 January 2018 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

And now...James Franco.  Link

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Eliza Dushku has just opened up about an incident while she was 12 on the set of TRUE LIES. If true, this is just horrible.

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version