Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Spawn Reboot Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

IMDb

A "dark reboot". Todd is still the king of innovation!

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Never really followed the character (maybe two comics since it was created). And I didn't enjoy the 90s film.

I guess I'd see it when it came to 'free' TV.

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

To paraphrase SPINAL TAP, "How much darker could it be?
None. None more darker".
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Todd McFarlane announced today on Facebook (and maybe elsewhere) that Jamie Foxx has agreed to play SPAWN in the upcoming film.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 29 May 2018 at 2:20pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah, Todd is also writing and directing the thing.  Because that went so well for Frank Miller.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Not that I think Todd has any more ability in that area, but just because Frank Miller didn't do it successfully doesn't mean no other comic book creator could pull it off.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Frank, I think, had better odds, having worked with a couple of directors closely on projects of his beforehand before he tried himself.  Todd just seems to think his artistic vision will out.  Even if Todd has some kind of innate talent or knack for it, its going to take him some work and experience to really do it well.

Just because good actors, directors, screenwriters, etc. make it look easy, that doesn't mean its actually easy.  I would think Todd would know that from his experience in the comic field.  Being a good doodler doesn't make you a comic artist.  Liking movies and having ideas doesn't make you a good director.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, without even handicapping the two horses in a "contest" between Miller vs. McFarland, it is hard not to predict doom for McFarland.

McFarland was a fan favorite whose page-to-page storytelling chops never improved past a rudimentary level.

To ask this person to succeed at the challenges of directing a movie is asking a lot. Based on the applause he got for doing mediocre work in comics, it's hard to see why he would do better when made to deal with the realities of film-making.

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I never liked any of the image characters, and out of
the founders only liked Jim Lee and Mark Silvestri.

When I saw their books on the shelf it always conjured
up that same feeling I got when passing by the MTV
channel on TV.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

QUOTE:
If I showed Get Out to my grandma and said “get this, that’s a first-time director and a comedian,” she wouldn’t see it. She would just go wow, that’s a nice movie. If you put the team together, they’ll make me look like a pro every single day. Part two, I’ve directed this movie in my head 1,000 times. Why do I think I can direct it? Because I have, in my head. My frustration is gonna be, “what do you mean I have to wait for lighting! I don’t have to wait for lighting in my brain!”

Wait, a minute. Jordan Peele has been in television for years, co-starred in a feature film, and created and produced tons of sketches for KEY & PEELE. He may have been a first-time director for GET OUT, but he is well-versed in the language of TV and film and has experience being around the camera. Is McFarlane claiming he’ll be able to direct because he’s going to surround himself with the people from Blumhouse?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2018 at 11:26pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

We'll never get to see this. As director, McFarlane will try to make his perfect movie and end up blowing the budget and deadline. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 29 May 2018 at 11:28pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2018 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I like the character of SPAWN, although I haven’t checked out the comic in years. I remember being disappointed in the original movie, and hoping ever since that we’d get a better one (more like the animated series, which was great). I do wish it was a bigger budget film with an established director, but I like Jamie Foxx so I hope for the best and am willing to give it a shot, unless the trailers just look really really bad.

Edited by Jabari Lamar on 30 May 2018 at 8:22pm

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2018 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I like Jamie Foxx and if he signed on, that gives me hope the script is a good one. I've haven't been a Spawn fan past his first year. And, although I think McFarlane is a very-much over-rated comic book artist, he did make a great toy figures company. 

On one hand, I admire that he feels he can do anything. On the other hand, i'm like - can you believe the ego of this guy?

But to be fair to Todd, I have a high school buddy, who I would have never thought in a million years, would write a movie script, and have the movie produced, and have it tour the indie scene around southern California. Last I heard, the movie did well enough to get a soon-to-be-announced national release. Wow.

So if my friend can do that.....

All I can do is hope Todd does well, and makes a good movie. But I'm inclined to believe one does not simply walk into Mordor...oh wait....lost my train of thought.....walk into the Director's role and magically do well. It takes experience that Todd does not have. In fact, if this movie does do well, I'll be inclined to think Todd will be Director in name only, and the real work will be done by others. 

Every talent starts their journey at the beginning. Break-a-leg Todd.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 30 May 2018 at 8:28pm

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2018 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Ultimately anybody can direct a feature film, provided they surround themselves with experienced professionals who know how to actually make a movie and have the patience to sympathetically interpret and effectively realize a vision which for all practical purposes is being communicated through grunts, clicks, whistles and pointing in random directions.

Frank Miller, who despite his credit on SIN CITY was effectively a first-time director, had a stunningly experienced team above and below the line on THE SPIRIT, and I sometimes wonder what motivated every single one of them to seemingly put all concern for personal reputation aside in order to let him face plant.

If McFarlane is smart (lol), he'll hire hyper-competent professionals and be as pleasant and easy-going as possible, while staying out of their way as they draw on years of professional experience to create as watchable a movie as possible.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2018 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Every film director was an amateur when they directed their first film. Not all of extensive experience directing other things, nor have professional experienced crews with them, when they did so. Spike Lee was fresh out film school, with one student film to his credit, when he got a bunch of fellow amateurs together to make his first feature film, as cheaply and quickly as possible, and that turned out pretty well for him. And especially today with the advances in technology it's getting easier for "amateurs" to make professional looking movie. There's fan-films on YouTube that look better than stuff I see on TV. Likewise, there are about a billion examples of long-time experienced film-makes who've made crappy films. It happens all the time. 

I mean, I get it, Todd Mcfarlane is not a popular figure on this particular forum, for various reasons, so I'm sure some of y'all are just rooting for him to fail, which is your right, but some of these claims being put forward here to make this seem like the dumbest idea ever are just silly. He wants to write and direct the film himself?!? What an ego!

I can't imagine any successful person in Hollywood who doesn't have an "ego." It's kind of a prerequisite. And it's not like he's some kid coming out of nowhere who just woke up one day and decided to make a movie. He's almost 60. He's been around the entertainment business for awhile. It sounds like it's precisely because of those experiences that he's now lead to this point. He's been through the process of selling his character to Hollywood and seeing it get made by others, and now he figures if he really wants to see the kind of film that he envisions for this character that he created in High School and has shepherded though publishing and video games and action figures for over 25 years now, he should probably do it himself. And I think it's notable that he's conceived this as a small indie-like film, something he likely feels is within his limited capabilities. It's not like he's trying to direct Avatar 2, here. 

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 7:12pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Jabari, I stand by what I said because my opinion (silly or not) of McFarlane is he has an overly large ego of himself, unlike other equally or more talented individuals who seem much more humble, like Jim Lee. I also admit I don't "know" these individuals personally, but it's a gut feel I get from their public videos and con appearances.

But I also agree with you 100%, and I'm only paraphrasing, that successful individuals often need to believe in themselves (with large egos) even when others do not. Many franchises, Star Wars comes to mind, were built on the passion of their creators and wouldn't exist if not for their egos. (I've never seen George Lucas act egotistical. I just assume he needed a strong ego to push his dream. In truth he has always seemed humble to me in the few times I've seen him in interviews.)

Ego does not equal to talent or experience. Did Spike Lee have a large ego or was he just talented with film school experience, or both? Honest question as I don't follow Spike Lee at all, have never seen him in public venues, though I know he was very successful.

I also agree that any person getting close to 60 has a lot of life experience to draw upon, so hopefully that'll help him be a successful director.

In the end, I'll be very happy if Todd can direct a quality movie. I don't really care who writes it or who directs it or what ego they do or do not have. I just hope to see a quality production.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 31 May 2018 at 7:17pm

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

McFarlane has indicated quite a few times in interviews that the Spawn movie he wants is a dark Se7en-type detective story with Spawn himself being a "boogeyman in the shadows" that never speaks. 

Doesn't sound like the type of role that would appeal to Jamie Foxx, but who knows.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

It's been a long long time since I read a Spawn comic and remember nothing about the character but if I recall, the popular opinion was that McFarlane should stick to drawing and not writing. I was never a fan of his drawing style anyway. (Also not a fan of Jaime Foxx so I doubt I will be seeing this).

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I remember how much I liked Spawn the comic for about...15 issues, then when I'd pick up the contents of my box every month it started taking more and more time to get to them, and eventually I had 15 of them that I never even read.  When I finally got around to reading them, they were visually interesting but extremely dull otherwise.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2018 at 7:35am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

McFarlane estimates a budget of 10 to 12 million:

Josh Trank's Chronicle had a budget of 12 million and it went on to gross 120 million. Maybe McFarlane will be able to pull off something like that. Or maybe the Spawn reboot ends up straight to DVD. We'll see. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 01 June 2018 at 7:36am

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2018 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

This couldn't be worse than the original Spawn movie.  I can understand not wanting to spend time on an origin story, but Spawn not speaking??  I only read the comics very early on & then only a dozen or so issues, but I am pretty sure Spawn spoke often...so straying this far from the original source material seems a bit risky.  Who knows though, could start a new trend in comic book movies if it works.  I would love to see a future darker in tone Moon Knight movie along these lines that doesn't rely on a white rubber suit.  

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 June 2018 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Hey, McFarlane may surprise us.  I remember having no interest in DEADPOOL, as an example, and the first film knocked my socks off!

I may not care for the comics or animated HBO series (nor that atrocious 1997 film), but here's hoping a new SPAWN turns-out to be a pleasant surprise.  Stranger things have happened!

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

I don't see the math adding up. Foxx gets 10 million per movie. 

Chronicle had a budget of 12 million with no-named actors.

Do you think it is possible for Foxx to reduce / waive his upfront fee in hopes to get a bigger back-end payment?

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 August 2018 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2018 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Jamie Foxx is arguably the most talented entertainer in Hollywood, but
even his participation isn’t enough to get me interested in seeing this
film.

That said, I know how much I enjoy seeing characters I like done right
on the big screen, so I hope it’s a movie that Spawn fans enjoy.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version