Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Quirky Stories Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Disclaimer: my use of the word quirky in this topic will NOT be pejorative.

I bought SUPERMAN FAMILY VOL. 1 from Birmingham ICE recently for nearly seven quid. It reprints SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN issues along with a solo Lois Lane tale.

I have to say, and it's one thing I miss now, the tales are quirky. But a lot of fun.

In one story, Jimmy Olsen learns that he is descended from a pirate. I'll say no more for those who may want to read it, but as so many tales from that era did so well, there are plenty of twists and turns.

Many stories feature Olsen temporarily gaining super powers. Those are a lot of fun.

There's a story where Olsen receives radio signals from Mars. Again, won't spoil it, there are many twists and turns.

Most of the stories (1950s, I think) do feature bank robbers and gangsters rather than supervillains. Conversely, Batman tales from that era, certainly the ones I've read, feature monsters, genies and aliens.

They are all good fun, though. For just over six quid, they were a joy to read. Some fans may have some snobbery about them, but the truth is that they were FUN to read and very quirky at times. Olsen is almost as obsessed with finding out if Clark and Superman are one and the same as Lois is. 

Also seems like Metropolis is filled with well-meaning scientists who create potions/devices that somehow affect Olsen (who never seems to tire of being a guinea pig). Isn't there an FDA equivalent for scientists in Metropolis?

Quirky though the tales are, I wish we could see more of that now in mainstream companies. Would such tales work with today's cynical audience, though? Or would there be complaints about them not being grim and gritty?

Also worth mentioning is the sheer number of stories in the volume. Each issue of SUPERMAN'S PAL, JIMMY OLSEN featured *three* tales so this volume reprints quite a lot of stories, making it even more of a bargain.

Perhaps such quirky tales were a product of their era - and in the grim and gritty/realistic era, maybe fans wouldn't accept them. Seems a shame that we can't have those sorts of tales now, though.

Any thoughts?
Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That sense of fun is something that's sorely lacking in modern comics, plus the sheer amount of plotting and ideas in a single story, which these days would be padded out over a year of a title.

I would buy a modern title that did stuff more like the comics of that era if it didn't come across as nothing more than poorly-imitated pastiche.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Eight pages is the length for most of those tales I mentioned in my first post; and I don't feel I have missed anything.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And those 8 page stories have more happen than a year of a Bendis book.

Karl Wiebe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I LOVE the okd Action Comics, Superman, Batman and Detective.  Like the 10-cent ones.  If it has Supergirl, Streaky, Bizarro, Bat Mite, Ace the Bathound, etc - count me in!  From a writing perspective, Some of the plots are far fetched, but they are fun.  Plus it is cool to see how people spoke, the clothing, cars, cultural norms, etc.  

Plus Curt Swan is amazing.  

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I just got a bunch of Steve Gerber back issues, full of quirky things.  Makes me wonder how many of these "Oops, Jimmy drank some unlabeled beaker at the professor's house and gained super-powers" kinds of stories were actually satire.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

They forgot,comics are meant to be fun,there is room for
serious comics,but the relentless `dark` stuff is
monotonous.Guardians of the Galaxy,and it seems the new
Thor film are what comics used to be,bright,colourful
and fun.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 3:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Eric J., I feel that - as I was there near the beginning - none of those stories were satires. They were supposed to be entertaining and fun, and enough to get those dimes out of kids hands and into the registers and tills in exchange for an hour's worth of amusement.

Making fun of other stories didn't really come until the 80s when some writers felt embarrassed about their jobs and genre, and felt that deconstructing and mocking those stories could somehow elevate their own status. Quite jarring to those of us who were "the faithful", as it were.

John Mariani
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Robbie I could not agree more! The Showcase Superman volumes are from the same era and every bit as much fun.

I have to mention the Showcase Blackhawks volume as one I particularly enjoyed.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, I'm reading one issue a day (three stories) and it's still a lot of fun. Olsen continues to offer his "services" as a guinea pig in all manner of scientific experiments. The science equivalent of the FDA really needs to visit Metropolis' scientists. ;-)

None of this is to mock such stuff. I'm having a blast. 

There's a good tale where Olsen is wearing a Superman outfit whilst in a rural area. Some hillbillies see him in it and convince themselves he's the real Superman. They see a bear running away from Olsen. Turns out the bear ran because a skunk was in the cave, but the hillbillies see the bear running from Olsen - and are more convinced than ever that he's the Man of Steel.

All good fun!

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think back then the comics were like how I think Archie comics still are now, just fun and not meant to be taken too seriously. From what I've read in the news even Archie comics are now maturing, but that's probably just a consequence of society as a whole becoming more sophisticated.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I don't necessarily agree that comics have to be light-hearted to be entertaining, but I'd like to think there will always be room at the big two for comics like Howard the Duck, the Inferior Five, Ambush Bug, Captain Carrot, the Great Lakes Avengers, Not Brand Echh! or JB's She-Hulk.

They don't all have to be overly-serious.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version